Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The God's hiddenness argument and Quran.

(12-12-2020, 03:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The argument goes something like this:

(1) God is a benevolent being who would interact with humans.
(2) God would manifest himself in a clear way to all humans if he wished to interact with them.
(3) God is not manifest to all humans and doesn't make himself clearly known.

The OT god - the original phony abrahamic nonsense - apparently interacted with humans all the time.  Then he stopped.  Did he get tired of fucking with us?

Some theological systems recognize this and attempt to address it. Mine did. The basic notion was that miracles were necessary before the written revelation of scripture was complete. Afterwards, it was no longer needed.

This begs several questions.

First, the notion that written revelation is better -- indeed, WAY better -- than god actually interacting with humans, is about 180 degrees wrong.

If I left my wife and family and moved to some undisclosed location, such that I could be dead for all they knew -- and either sent them no money or influenced anything in their favor, or did so on VERY rare and deniable occasions -- but left them a book full of detailed communications from me, on the theory that this book was not only an adequate substitute for my active involvement and interaction with them, but SUPERIOR to it ... I don't think that would go over very well.

Yet this is what the Abrahamic faiths pretend is some kind of benefit.

(12-14-2020, 05:54 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Troll it is.

Nah, to me that reads more like utterly and possibly irrevocably deluded.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Little Lunch

(12-14-2020, 02:04 PM)Link Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 03:27 PM)Vera Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 11:14 AM)Little Lunch Wrote: He wasn't always that bad.
Four or five years ago he was really innocent, friendly, wanting to meet a girl and fall in love.

This probably sounds horrible and I'm not making any accusations, but if I was a recruitment person for a muslim terrorist organisation, I would find Link to be the perfect candidate to nurture.

If I'm not mistaken some of his previous comments about women had a definite incel-ish feel to them.

Funny thing, (some) men, when unable to get the  girls,"love", sex, whatever it is they think they're owed, turn to aggression and abject hatred. Most women in a similar situation seem to just end up reading the kind of trash I'm translating at the moment.   Dunno

My romantic aspect of life has nothing to do with this. But just for your information of how far off you are,  I may or may not be deluded in who I am in love with. I will explain. Three hot women I've cancelled dats on the day of the date, and five over all my city (very hot women) wanted to meet me and probably still do and I can still meet them or go on a date.

The reason I don't, is very weird. Because of series of dreams ...

Link, you are arguing in your messages from dreams, the influence of sorcery and dark magic, and similar things. You can't possibly expect such things to be anything but non-starters for atheists, or indeed, for more than a few theists.

Stop abusing and debasing yourself like this. Post such arguments to people who are willing to entertain them. Those people will not be on this site.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Vera, Little Lunch

(12-14-2020, 06:01 PM)Vera Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:54 PM)Inkubus Wrote: Troll it is.

Nah, to me that reads more like utterly and possibly irrevocably deluded.

He's indistinguishable from one.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, fucks other ducks and has baby ducks...

(12-14-2020, 06:17 PM)Inkubus Wrote: If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, fucks other ducks and has baby ducks...

I don't know. A troll's doing it to raise hackles. Him, I think he's in a really really bad place mentally and emotionally and is kinda desperate.

Then again, just earlier today I was - again - proven wrong for giving people too much credit just by assuming them to be honest, decent and mostly well-intentioned, so....
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Little Lunch, mordant

(12-14-2020, 04:49 PM)Astreja Wrote: There is no proof whatsoever in the Quran.  It's all unsupported mythological assertions, especially the silly "hell" myth.  It's quite obviously a cheap, manipulative trick to scare vulnerable people into submission, and the best way to free yourself from the myth is to confront it directly and laugh at it.

The Quran is, as most ancient religious texts, interesting from an ancient Near Eastern multi-edited text, standpoint. 
There is NO evidence at all it is "true", except in part, from a mythological point of view. Its many contradictory elements are, as in many other non-original texts, evidence of its multi-editorial construction. There are countless examples of that. Here are a few well known ones : 

Many stories in the Quran were "borrowed" from surrounding cultures, and well known circulating myths, and cultural historians know exactly where they came from : 

1. Moses and the Fish, (came from Babylon/Ugarit/the El myths), 
2. Solomon listening to the ants, common fairy tales, existing all over the Ancient Near East,
3. Jinns, (genies) working for Solomon, both common fairy tales, existing all over the Ancient Near East, 
4. Mary in the temple, (stolen from one of the proto gospels), 
5. Jesus talking in the crib, (from the known Proto Gospel after Jacob)
6. The Egyptian child stories, (from the Arab Child Gospel, and The Thomas' Child Gospel), both just made up fairy stories. 
7. Jesus making birds from clay, (known source, .."The Child Gospel after Thomas vs 1-4), 
8. Mary and the Palm, was taken from the Proto Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 20. 
9. Mo's Night Journey to Heaven, taken from either the Hebrew Merebah, or the well known Gnostic "Enoc's Journey to Heaven", which is identical to to Ibn Ishaq’s story after Abu Said al-Chudri)
10. The Sleepers in the Cave, straight from the fairy story from Ephesus, (Mo got the dates wrong, but the story is right), 
11. Alexander the Great, (Surah 18), (straight plagiarism), AND there was NO place in the world with enough iron blocks to close off a whole valley in 330 BC. 
12. The myth about Ad. Straight from Arab folk tales. 
13. Thamud – same as 12. 
14. Median – copied from Arab folk tales.

The fact is, we know that the concept of "Allah" came from the Arabic moon-god cult, and in fact, despite the claim, Islam is not really an "Abrahamic religion", (the Quran attempted to say they all worshiped the same god ... and that is false). Islam does recognize Abraham as a "prophet", and in that sense, it is "Abrahamic. The Arabic moon-god "Sin" (as recognized even in the Satanic Verses ... he had the same 3 divine daughters as the original Quran said Allah had), can be traced to Babylonian sources, just as Yahweh can, BUT they are not the same god. Time and again in the OT the Hebrews are told to stop worshiping the god named Sin. There is a great deal of archeological evidence that the moon-god "Sin" morphed culturally from "al Illah", to Allah. Al Illah was the god of the crescent phase of the moon cycle. Culturally it's fascinating, ... historically. In lands which the Arabic Empire conquered, they *normally* accepted whatever the main deity was that the beaten culture had named, and said "oh you just named Allah with a different name .. and you can keep that name" .. as long as they had only one deity, or accepted one deity. So what happened with "Abrahamic" (even though incorrect) was the norm at the time. Obviously they were *using* religion to unify a far-flung empire. Artaxerxes with the Hebrews, the Arabs with Islam, Alexander with his empire, Constantine and his empire ... all recognized that religion was a useful tool to unify an empire. Religion is an effective POLITICAL tool.
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Astreja, Cheerful Charlie

(12-14-2020, 06:23 PM)Vera Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 06:17 PM)Inkubus Wrote: If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, fucks other ducks and has baby ducks...

I don't know. A troll's doing it to raise hackles. Him, I think he's in a really really bad place mentally and emotionally and is kinda desperate.

Then again, just earlier today I was - again - proven wrong for giving people too much credit just by assuming them to be honest, decent and mostly well-intentioned, so....

Well no doubt this thread, like most other Link threads will be a ten pager of his 'Just So Stories'.

landoverBaptist is considered the best poe ever. I think they have a worthy challenger with our friend Link.
The following 1 user Likes Inkubus's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(12-14-2020, 07:02 PM)Inkubus Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 06:23 PM)Vera Wrote:

Well no doubt this thread, like most other Link threads will be a ten pager of his 'Just So Stories'.

landoverBaptist is considered the best poe ever. I think they have a worthy challenger with our friend Link.

I gotta read me some more of THAT Baptist Church.  Tongue

(12-14-2020, 02:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:  ^  ^  ^

Do we really need to see this wall of rambling, absolute bullshit posted here?

Is anybody with even half a functioning brain gonna even read it?

It's obviously been written by someone with an unsound mind.      Panic

He needs help and we're not the ones to give it, the best thing that we could do for him is to "let him go" IMHO.
Justaminute   The whole point of having cake is to eat it! 
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Finite Monkeys

(12-10-2020, 01:44 PM)Link Wrote: I wish to talk about the Atheistic argument of God's hiddenness...

"Hiddenness" is doublespeak for unfalsifiable. Anything that has an unfalsifiable existence is indistinguishable from not existing at all.

Your god isn't "hidden" because your god doesn't exist.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Inkubus, Deesse23

I don't know why any answer to Allah's hiddenness is any worse than whatever the Koran says. How about: "Allah is shy."

Let's see how wonderful these Sunni nutjobs are.

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(12-11-2020, 01:03 PM)Link Wrote: The argument goes something like this:

(1) God is a benevolent being who would interact with humans.
(2) God would manifest himself in a clear way to all humans if he wished to interact with them.
(3) God is not manifest to all humans and doesn't make himself clearly known.

The conclusion if you combine is then God doesn't exist, because if he did, he would interact with humans, and if he would, he would make himself to all humans and not just a particular amount of them.

A lot of Atheist Philosophers consider this a stronger argument then the argument of evil. In fact, my Atheist professor doesn't think the argument of evil is very strong and thinks theodicy arguments in reply by Theists are stronger.  However, this argument, in his view, is very strong, if not the strongest argument against Theism.

Each of the 3 premises can be elaborated on in detail. But this is just to get you the gist of the argument.

Atheist argument 101:

If you can't see the duck, you can't see it swim like a duck, you can't hear it quack like a duck, then there's probably no duck.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Paleophyte

As if this self-described Lothario would ever, ever be in this position...     Facepalm

Link Wrote:My romantic aspect of life has nothing to do with this. But just for your information of how far off you are,  I may or may not be deluded in who I am in love with. I will explain. Three hot women I've cancelled dats on the day of the date, and five over all my city (very hot women) wanted to meet me and probably still do and I can still meet them or go on a date...

What a wanker!  His ugly fucking face would totally put off any woman with
an IQ higher than her shoe size.  Link looks like a fucking terrorist before he
even opens his mouth LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(12-14-2020, 11:41 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: I don't know why any answer to Allah's hiddenness is any worse than whatever the Koran says.  How about: "Allah is shy."

Or how about Muhammad was a paedophile?

Very hot women? Menopause?
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(12-15-2020, 08:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: As if this self-described Lothario would ever, ever be in this position...     Facepalm

Link Wrote:My romantic aspect of life has nothing to do with this. But just for your information of how far off you are,  I may or may not be deluded in who I am in love with. I will explain. Three hot women I've cancelled dats on the day of the date, and five over all my city (very hot women) wanted to meet me and probably still do and I can still meet them or go on a date...

Childish ad hominem arguments aren't necessary to debunk Link.

(12-15-2020, 10:59 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: Very hot women? Menopause?

I usualy cancel any *dats* with menopausal people I've set up. 
Why do I keep doing this ?  Angel

(12-15-2020, 09:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 10:59 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: Very hot women? Menopause?

I usualy cancel any *dats* with menopausal people I've set up. 
Why do I keep doing this ?  Angel

I dunno? Maybe it's so you have the time to concentrate in believing in god and magic like what most people do.

(12-14-2020, 02:04 PM)Link Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 03:27 PM)Vera Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 11:14 AM)Little Lunch Wrote: He wasn't always that bad.
Four or five years ago he was really innocent, friendly, wanting to meet a girl and fall in love.

This probably sounds horrible and I'm not making any accusations, but if I was a recruitment person for a muslim terrorist organisation, I would find Link to be the perfect candidate to nurture.

If I'm not mistaken some of his previous comments about women had a definite incel-ish feel to them.

Funny thing, (some) men, when unable to get the  girls,"love", sex, whatever it is they think they're owed, turn to aggression and abject hatred. Most women in a similar situation seem to just end up reading the kind of trash I'm translating at the moment.   Dunno

My romantic aspect of life has nothing to do with this. But just for your information of how far off you are,  I may or may not be deluded in who I am in love with. I will explain. Three hot women I've cancelled dats on the day of the date, and five over all my city (very hot women) wanted to meet me and probably still do and I can still meet them or go on a date.

The reason I don't, is very weird. Because of series of dreams starting from when I was grade 3 and in the past 8 months 46 dreams about this women, when my whole life I dreamt of the Prophet (s) 3 times, of Ali (a) 3 times, and my parents only twice, and other family members only twice each, and even the person I almost married when I was 21 I only had 3 dreams about her, but with this woman, these dreams are not normal for me at all, they are of a different nature, and because of these dreams,  and to you I know I will seem deluded, but they helped me unlock memories of the world before we came to this world where we took a covenant with God.

I can't prove it to anyone but I do believe deep inside we are soulmates. This doesn't mean we are going to get married,  for example Ali (a) and Fatima (a) or Abraham (a) and Sarah (a) they are soulmates before coming to this world and they were destined to married. 

What I believe happened is that the person I love, she had a lot of love for humanity and was scared for their sake they won't pass the test, and I also cared a lot, but she also lacked confidence in herself to be guided and to pass the trial, and we were beside each other there and I promised I would do everything I can to protect and guide her.

And I believe us two, we can become game changers in the fight of good and evil, but it's not that we are destined to choose good over evil. In fact, the probability we take the side of passion and blindness is probably more.

What am I writing here is rooted in Quran and Sunnah and has evidence. If anything in my life is delusional is me rejecting hot women over and over again this year, just out of belief that I promised I would do everything I can to help and support and guide this person.

And I know my love for her is such that, if God did allow (which he doesn't) a person to burden a burden of another,  and it was so that I entered paradise and she entered hell and I was allowed to exchange places and this be permanent and forever, I Would do it for her in a heartbeat.

Now this madness and I know it, and I can't help my feeling for this person.  I am distressed for her sake more then myself, and I care about her entering paradise and being honorable place with God more then myself.

But I seldom mention God and religion to her, once in a bloom moon. She pretty has through her standards immunized herself from guidance and there is little chance of her being guided at this point.

God knows I would take a bullet for her in a heartbeat and the reason why I love her, is that I know, she loves the weakest, strangest, weirdest and most outcast people, and loves people in general and has not even a taint of envy towards successful people as well. As far as love goes in the positive sense, she has it a lot. But it's her weakness and way of Satan having misguided her too.

She is allergic to Mohammad (s) and the truth he came with, she is allergic to the true living God and Lord of all things, because she is too much on the side of forbearing and love.  She needs to become judgmental and she hates judgmental people and I am probably the most judgmental and harsh in this regard that anyone she ever meant or will meet.

I know her, and I know she hates judgment not due to the reason in the bible of disbelievers hating Jesus (a), that they are afraid the light judge them, she is not selfish in this regard.  She wants everyone to enter paradise except maybe the most vile oppressive evil people.   

Her love of humans is too much, I've chosen to choose God, even if means almost all humans in this century and through out history are condemned to hell.  I love God more, but this is only because I have proof and upon clear knowledge and God has allowed me to gaze upon his light through out most of my life.

In fact, even Prophets (a) almost fell into this over-loving forbearing stance, for example, when Abraham (a) began to argue with God about whether God should destroy Lot's (a) people or not.

She loves people too much.  But like Yonus (a) blaming himself, her reason for deviance and not being guided is the saddest reason for me.   

Ultimately, hell is the hardest thing to accept in Quran but it's also what Quran has presented the most proofs for and in the form of many angles, of why it is so, it's severity and forever nature, have not only been emphasized but the reasons why proven.

She hasn't read the Quran at all nor the Bible.   But she believes in a Creator and prayers, etc.

I know her religion though she won't talk about it, I know she has deep knowledge in spiritual matters, but her spiritual knowledge to me is layered in deceptions of lies from the wrong sources and she relies on people who should not be relied in this regard.

We don't worship the same God, we aren't of the same path, and we have some things in common, but are mostly complete opposites. 

If I was sane and reasonable and cared about myself, I would abandon her, move on, or have gone on the dates I cancelled this year.

Two of these women - if you saw their face and bodies, you would literally tell me I'm insane just on that basis of having not followed through and gone on the date with them.  But every time the date time approached, I found myself thinking of the person I love and it distressed me the possibility of me giving up on her, even though I know my chances of getting married to her are very low, probably under 5%.

And their personalities (the women I could've gone on a date with but cancelled), are cool, it's not just looks, they have great personality.

You guys didn't know this about me, but if anything makes me insane, is my love for this woman that I can't even date others.   And of course while I compliment her all day,  I've heard the meanest words about me and most insulting behavior and most degrading words and behavior words towards me, from her to me, then anyone else in the world.

No one has severely insulted me as she does, mocked me to the degree she does, and even the insults on these forums, they are no where near what she said to me and about me.

And in a weird twisted way, she has said the opposite of every one of those insults to me.  She has complimented me with words that are not just negations of those insults, but the exact opposite.

And this is the nature, she is choosing and battling regarding me.   She hasn't decided yet but most days she is on the side of being disgusted by me these days.

None of my love for her is rational, none of it, and of course, the 45 dreams and my belief we had some sort of connection before we were created in this world, to you guys, because you don't believe in spiritual world or psychic connection or magic or souls or anything in that regard, of course, if anything, this makes me insane.

What I'm posting to you guys about God and magic, most of the world believes now and historically, this the stance of most humans. Most humans believe in magic and God through out history and in fact, this is the majority stance of "non-religious" people too, most people without religion in the west actually believe in God and magic and all that stuff, they just don't have an organized religion.

My topic although strange in your little closed bubble, about Quran and magic, this is something most humans would not find strange at all.

But since we are talking about romance and my madness, here is some content you can use to insult me.  If you want to know what makes me irrational, it's not the proofs of God I've reminded you guys of and the reminders of reality that should remind you of God's existence without doubt.

It's what I just explained.  This is my most irrational way of thinking and acting in my life.

But I can't even begin to prove the connection I have with her, because you guys, will assess, tell me it's infatuation and probably mix in conjecture about mental illness in that, and tell me I'm obsessed and have deluded myself.

Yet I know - why - I love her and I know what I know, and care less, what everyone including my parents think of me being in love with this person.  My family thinks I'm a disgrace now due to my love for this person.

And while others might want her to for her coolness or cuteness in the way she talks or maybe her pretty face or body or whatever, and want to live with her in this world then die,  my plans because I am certain of the next world, are beyond all that.  I want to be with her forever, but if we won't be, and her fate is the evil place - I want her to realize then, yeah the reason why I didn't choose to drink alcohol smoke weed etc and any other thing she wants me to do for her sake, and I know 100% if I did, I would be with her in this world, she will know then I sacrificed all that for a reason.

I know why she hates me more then she loves me, and I could've hid all this, said nothing ever to her, and just flirted, gave up religion and drank and smoked weed, but I've chosen to sacrifice that, and it hurts me, but she will know it's an act of love one day.

Today I'm that judgmental foolish idiot, I'm the fool like Jacob appeared to his sons, I'm the guy everyone wants gone like the brothers of Joseph wanted him out of the picture, and I am the notorious knight no one wants to hear.

Of course, it's easy for me to say to people what they want to hear only.  And I know when I remind of God I am very well aware of how Iblis and the dark magic makes me appear in intention and motive in all that.

Satan has and will continue to not have mercy on me this regard, people will always assume the worse about me, paint me with worse intentions, never recognize a single praise and attribute in me and they will always magnify my mistakes and belittle any good traits I have.

This includes my family including my parents, let alone others. 

But in all that,  I don't care, I just want God to see me sincere when I prostrate myself to him and that is good enough. If he sees me loving him/her/it above all else, it's good enough. But I hate myself because I have never been sincere to God despite all the call towards him, I think maybe in my life if you add all the moments of brief sincerity, you won't get more then 10 hours.

Despite certainty in his vision and my soul and the relationship and how it exists and how I have value whether of negative or positive, I show no shame to God's vision and show more shame to people I know don't see anything in truth nor care for it.

I've been God's friend in the outward while his enemy in the inward. 

And this is my pathetic nature, neither God nor the world, I get none of both,  neither temporary happiness by getting drunk and lit and getting high with the woman I love, and neither I have made myself sincere to God that I have God's pleasure.

But these days, I am finally moving towards sincerity. There is some kind of inner fighting going on and I am battling Satan a lot harder these days then ever before.

You are a danger to the woman you claim to love.   Leave her alone.  If she’s “insulting” you—I suspect she’s simply asking you to leave her alone—you need to respect that request. 

This or any other internet discussion board is not an appropriate place for you.  You need to get professional help, now, before you start hurting yourself and others.
god, ugh
The following 5 users Like julep's post:
  • Finite Monkeys, TheGentlemanBastard, Astreja, adey67, Paleophyte

(12-15-2020, 08:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: As if this self-described Lothario would ever, ever be in this position...     Facepalm

Whoah man, that's not cool. :-(

(12-16-2020, 09:36 AM)Little Lunch Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 08:20 AM)SYZ Wrote: As if this self-described Lothario would ever, ever be in this position... 

Whoah man, that's not cool.

Well, during my longish lifetime, I've found it to be true that often a person's real
inner self is clearly, visibly apparent in their facial features, and outward demeanour.

Link looks sullen, angry, bitter, and ready to punch someone's lights out.  His
is not the face of a man satisfied with his life, self confident, or prepared to enter
into any meaningful discourse with others. And it's the face of someone whose entire
life is driven solely by the tenets of a reprehensible, evil religion that stones women
to death for drinking alcohol or driving a car, or which removes little girls' external
genitalia with a razor blade.

And Link is a practising member of this religion, and should be despised for it.     Angry

(12-16-2020, 09:36 AM)Little Lunch Wrote:

Whoah man, that's not cool. :-(
The giveaway was when he had to point out that it was three hot women he could have dated, if he wanted.
If any of this was legit (which it was most probably not) he would have left it just as three.
Common mistake of people who are lying, they overdo it...and then he went out on a limb and claimed five (VERY!!!!! hot). Yep, sure, 100%

I dont know, and care, what he looks like. But i guess after 1 minute talking to him any woman with a pulse has run away.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • SYZ

(12-16-2020, 12:17 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: The giveaway was when he had to point out that it was three hot women he could have dated, if he wanted.

Not exactly to do with whether he's lying (to us or himself) but a general-ish comment on the whole "incel" thing.

My problem (well, one of them ;-)) with so called “incels” and people like that, bemoaning the superficiality of women, is the whole insistence on being, well, provided, really, “hot” women to fuck. It’s not that they can’t find anyone, it’s just that the “hot” women – what gall! – want other “hot” men.

There was such a sad case on AD or TTA (not sure) who came to the support section whining about being too ugly and being unable to find a woman. Leaving aside the disgustingly nasty way he’d talk about women, I vividly remember someone, very kindly, suggesting a site for meeting people aimed at “plainer-looking” folk. The rage of that poor, unloved creep was staggering. How dare we suggest that he fuck something ugly! I’m sure the irony was utterly lost on him – he was bemoaning the superficiality of women not wanting to let him fuck them for being ugly… but god forbid he should lower himself to fucking an uggo!

I’ve posted this before but it can’t be posted often enough. From a “leading” (and supposedly reformed) incel:

"Because he feels psychologically younger than his age, he says he'd like to date younger women whose contact with the opposite sex more closely matches his own. "I wanna feel like we're doing it in the beginning, or somewhat close to that."

But why, I wonder aloud, would a woman necessarily need to be younger than him to have a similar level of experience?

"I'd be too suspicious," he replies. "How come no guy wanted to date you?"

[...]

With guys, he goes on, he understands longtime celibacy. They're the ones who have to do the asking, put themselves out there. But women? "If you're attractive enough for me to want to date you, there's gotta be a reason someone never showed any interest in you. Or maybe someone did show interest and you didn't reciprocate. And then I would question what your values were."

But what about the girl from the hiking group? He hadn't reciprocated.

"Yeah," he says. "I'm just saying, like—I don't know. It would be just a.… You gotta have some way to—you gotta have some set of standards."

You gotta have some set of "standards" but only if you're a man, apparently.
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • mordant

Lenny Bruce used to joke that men had no standards.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”