Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution In Action

Evolution In Action
https://scitechdaily.com/plant-used-in-t...to-humans/

A plant used in traditional Chinese medicine has evolved to become less visible to humans, new research shows.
Scientists found that Fritillaria delavayi plants, which live on rocky slopes of China’s Hengduan mountains, match their backgrounds most closely in areas where they are heavily harvested.
This suggests humans are “driving” evolution of this species into new color forms because better-camouflaged plants have a higher chance of survival.
undefined
Fritillaria delavayi in a population with high harvest pressure. Credit: Yang Niu
The study was carried out by the Kunming Institute of Botany (Chinese Academy of Sciences) and the University of Exeter.
“It’s remarkable to see how humans can have such a direct and dramatic impact on the coloration of wild organisms, not just on their survival but on their evolution itself,” said Professor Martin Stevens, of the Centre for Ecology and Conservation on Exeter’s Penryn Campus in Cornwall.

Cool!  Maybe it will start evolving toxins.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • abaris, Deesse23, SYZ, Little Lunch, jerry mcmasters, Paleophyte

Evolution In Action
Not that complicated. Humans go for the low hanging fruit.
  [Image: attachment.php?aid=31] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Little Lunch

Evolution In Action
Is that why truompolini is so popular?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Minimalist

Evolution In Action
Makes sense.

[Image: bummer-of-a-birthmark.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 6 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Peebothuhlu, Inkubus, Cavebear, SYZ, Little Lunch, brunumb

Evolution In Action
It's a pity Bats aren't camouflaged.

Evolution In Action
(12-09-2020, 11:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Makes sense.

[Image: bummer-of-a-birthmark.jpg]

I remember that one!

Actually, the last deer I killed with a gun had it on his ass. Didn't get much useful meat out of THAT one.
I came to a fork in the road, and I took it!

Evolution In Action
(12-09-2020, 08:16 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://scitechdaily.com/plant-used-in-t...to-humans/

A plant used in traditional Chinese medicine has evolved to become less visible to humans, new research shows.
Scientists found that Fritillaria delavayi plants, which live on rocky slopes of China’s Hengduan mountains, match their backgrounds most closely in areas where they are heavily harvested.
This suggests humans are “driving” evolution of this species into new color forms because better-camouflaged plants have a higher chance of survival.
undefined
Fritillaria delavayi in a population with high harvest pressure. Credit: Yang Niu
The study was carried out by the Kunming Institute of Botany (Chinese Academy of Sciences) and the University of Exeter.
“It’s remarkable to see how humans can have such a direct and dramatic impact on the coloration of wild organisms, not just on their survival but on their evolution itself,” said Professor Martin Stevens, of the Centre for Ecology and Conservation on Exeter’s Penryn Campus in Cornwall.

Cool!  Maybe it will start evolving toxins.

Quote:The evolution of the peppered moth is an evolutionary instance of directional colour change in the moth population as a consequence of air pollution during the Industrial Revolution. The frequency of dark-coloured moths increased at that time, an example of industrial melanism. Later, when pollution was reduced, the light-coloured form again predominated. Industrial melanism in the peppered moth was an early test of Charles Darwin's natural selection in action, and remains as a classic example in the teaching of evolution.[1][2] In 1978 Sewall Wright described it as "the clearest case in which a conspicuous evolutionary process has actually been observed."[3][4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution
Freedom isn't free.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gwaithmir