Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got JWed last week
Wink 
I got JWed last week
Yes, for the very first time actually. girl blushing

It wasnt a personal visit, thats verboten during Covid, but a handwritten (!) letter. Most probably a new neighbour trying to proselytize his/her new neighbourhood. So far so good, but from what i leared from places like here it was pretty much predatory, as could be expected from the JW.

It went like this:

"The current times are hard, for all of us. Do you feel frightened?.......its the end times, as prophetized in the Bible."
Then 2 verses from (something Timothy?) got thrown at my face and then the offer to come and join them.

Pretty much disgusting to use and fuel current fears, just to get people to look for help from you (of all places/persons). Classic mafia style shakedown *shivers*
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 6 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Dom, julep, Phaedrus, Cheerful Charlie, Cavebear, TonyAnkle

I got JWed last week
Wipe your ass with the letter and mail it back.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • skyking, TonyAnkle, Antipholus

I got JWed last week
You should do a little research into how many times, and when, (it's many many) they have said "the end-times are upon us", and mail it back.
Test
The following 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Deesse23, Dom, Inkubus, mordant, Gwaithmir

I got JWed last week
I was wondering from the title what the difference between an ordinary wedding and a JWedding was.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Deesse23

I got JWed last week
(12-03-2020, 06:03 PM)Dānu Wrote: I was wondering from the title what the difference between an ordinary wedding and a JWedding was.
That's what I thought too.  So the first sentence of the OP (with its smiley) took on a certain - ahem - humor.  The second sentence still worked in the context, but was now outer orbit weird.  Finally I looked back to unravel what JWed actually represented.

Interesting that to a JW the default state of mind is terror.  D'ya suppose that's THEIR day to day state of mind, so that's what they think is normal?  Shudder.
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • Deesse23, Inkubus

I got JWed last week
(12-03-2020, 07:32 PM)airportkid Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 06:03 PM)Dānu Wrote: I was wondering from the title what the difference between an ordinary wedding and a JWedding was.
That's what I thought too.  So the first sentence of the OP (with its smiley) took on a certain - ahem - humor.  The second sentence still worked in the context, but was now outer orbit weird.  Finally I looked back to unravel what JWed actually represented.

Blush Blush Blush Modest Modest Modest
R.I.P. Hannes

I got JWed last week
(12-03-2020, 04:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: You should do a little research into how many times, and when, (it's many many) they have said "the end-times are upon us", and mail it back.
Yeah you got that right. I've spoken to former JWs who were discouraged from attending college way back in the 1970s because the world was going to end anyway in a few years, and you should spend your time working for the "kingdom of god" instead.

Predictably they ended up with shit jobs and no advanced skills and pretty much regretted following this advice for as long as they lived.

Then you meet someone who got this pitch in the 1980s, and then someone who got it in the 1990s.

Another reason they do this is because the lose their young people in college ... they are more likely to retain them in the cult if they can steer them away from any sort of life of mind.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • brunumb, Cavebear, TonyAnkle

I got JWed last week
I got a copy of "the watchtower" once - i thought to myself, 'Lets be open minded and actually read it'.

Got to a part about how the world is changing, and not everything is as simple as "god did it" etc. I was kind of impressed that the religion was changing with the time it seemed but then the last line "....but, are you calling god a liar?" made me just nope out of it and slam that shit in the bin.

We get them travelling around all the time here. Once they stopped my wife in the street, as she was with our daughter [who was a baby at the time] and they thought she was a single mother needing "support" or whatever.

The last time they knocked on the door, it was an older chap with a teenage lad, and a very well dressed little girl who was maybe 5-6 years old. I politely declined his "words of god" by saying 'I don't think this is for me' and shutting the door. However, I found I was very pissed off about it afterwards - like the older chap choosing to do this is one thing, and maybe even the older teen I can understand......but taking a little kid out with you, when they don't understand what is going on is just fucking crazy. I also get the reason why the older chap and the teen even "want" to do the door to door work is because they were made to do it as kids/taught that it's a good thing, but [for lack of a better term] jesus christ!
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Cavebear, Inkubus

I got JWed last week
(12-08-2020, 12:38 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: I got a copy of "the watchtower" once - i thought to myself, 'Lets be open minded and actually read it'.

Got to a part about how the world is changing, and not everything is as simple as "god did it" etc. I was kind of impressed that the religion was changing with the time it seemed but then the last line "....but, are you calling god a liar?" made me just nope out of it and slam that shit in the bin.

We get them travelling around all the time here. Once they stopped my wife in the street, as she was with our daughter [who was a baby at the time] and they thought she was a single mother needing "support" or whatever.

The last time they knocked on the door, it was an older chap with a teenage lad, and a very well dressed little girl who was maybe 5-6 years old. I politely declined his "words of god" by saying 'I don't think this is for me' and shutting the door. However, I found I was very pissed off about it afterwards - like the older chap choosing to do this is one thing, and maybe even the older teen I can understand......but taking a little kid out with you, when they don't understand what is going on is just fucking crazy. I also get the reason why the older chap and the teen even "want" to do the door to door work is because they were made to do it as kids/taught that it's a good thing, but [for lack of a better term] jesus christ!

That's what I really hate about it. They stick these little kids in suits and dresses and push them in front of them when the door opens. Disgusting, they know there will be doors slammed in their faces.

If they show up when I am inside, I simply close the door in their faces, children or not.  If I am outside (in the fenced yard) I let the goddess take care of it.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • OakTree500

I got JWed last week
(12-08-2020, 12:38 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: I got a copy of "the watchtower" once - i thought to myself, 'Lets be open minded and actually read it'.

I bought a copy of Watchtower in college so long ago because I wanted to understand what they thought. It was well worth the $1. I referred to it often in discussion rooms. But I finally tossed it. It just didn't look good in my library.

I had JWs visit me for for years. Often enough so that I kept my Atheist hat near the door. On a few occasions, I was bored enough to sit on the front steps and bother them. And yeah, it was usually an older experienced guy and a younger female attache.

I always spoke to the older guy. He was the influencer. I hoped that when I made him look like a dunce, maybe that affected the younger one. I guess I did that often enough. They still go through the neighborhood, but they never knock on MY door anymore. LOL!
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • OakTree500, Gwaithmir

I got JWed last week

They take the little kid with them because they know most people won't curse them out in front of a 5 year old.

I used to see mini Watchtower pamphlets tucked inside the stop light button contraption on the corner poles at intersections,  but the stop light buttons have changed styles and the button box is more flush up against the pole so there's no gap to tuck the pamplet in.  Awwwww....toooooooo-bad.     Whenever I'd find one tucked in the button box gap I'd take it home, rip it to shreds and toss it in the garbage.

The Satanic Button Box nemesis strikes again!   BWAHAHAHA! 

Girl_devil
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • OakTree500, Gwaithmir, Cavebear

I got JWed last week
I'm presently engaged in a discussion with an atheist claiming to be married to an atheist. She seems to think that her husband is typical of all atheists she has encountered over the years. She also claims to have read versions of the Bible other than the New World Translation. I'm dubious of both of her claims.

Jehovah's Witness Have a Gift for Don | Failures of Christianity | Atheist Experience 21.45 - YouTube
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Inkubus

I got JWed last week
(12-09-2020, 01:42 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm presently engaged in a discussion with an atheist claiming to be married to an atheist. She seems to think that her husband is typical of all atheists she has encountered over the years. She also claims to have read versions of the Bible other than the New World Translation. I'm dubious of both of her claims.

Jehovah's Witness Have a Gift for Don | Failures of Christianity | Atheist Experience 21.45 - YouTube

I'm surprised 'Tiny House Girl' has a house to live in, I mean how does this retard manage to cook food without burning the place down?
But then again she just about has a full house on the Jehovah's Witness Bingo card.

[Image: BINGO-large1.jpg]

I suppose we can take comfort in the knowledge that It's unlikely in the extreme these people will never become airline pilots or brain surgeons.
The following 2 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Dom, Cavebear

I got JWed last week
(12-09-2020, 01:42 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm presently engaged in a discussion with an atheist claiming to be married to an atheist. She seems to think that her husband is typical of all atheists she has encountered over the years. She also claims to have read versions of the Bible other than the New World Translation. I'm dubious of both of her claims.

I made a comment at the bottom of your thread in response to Tiny House Girl.   Laura is my name, refuting Yahwah is my game.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I got JWed last week
(12-08-2020, 04:30 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

They take the little kid with them because they know most people won't curse them out in front of a 5 year old.

I used to see mini Watchtower pamphlets tucked inside the stop light button contraption on the corner poles at intersections,  but the stop light buttons have changed styles and the button box is more flush up against the pole so there's no gap to tuck the pamplet in.  Awwwww....toooooooo-bad.     Whenever I'd find one tucked in the button box gap I'd take it home, rip it to shreds and toss it in the garbage.

The Satanic Button Box nemesis strikes again!   BWAHAHAHA! 

Girl_devil

I used to rip apart the Gideon Bibles in hotel rooms (had to travel on the job). There was always a new one each day. Even calling the Front Desk and asking them not to didn't stop it.

I got JWed last week
(12-09-2020, 07:58 PM)Inkubus Wrote:

I'm surprised 'Tiny House Girl' has a house to live in, I mean how does this retard manage to cook food without burning the place down?
But then again she just about has a full house on the Jehovah's Witness Bingo card.

[Image: BINGO-large1.jpg]

I suppose we can take comfort in the knowledge that It's unlikely in the extreme these people will never become airline pilots or brain surgeons.

Waiting to set up new printer. HAVE to print and frame this!

I got JWed last week
It's been ages since the last time a wanna-be preacher showed up at my door -- 10am on a Sunday, it was. My comment was along the lines of "If your god is so all-powerful, he could have bloody told you I work third shift and YOU JUST WOKE ME UP!" *>doorslam<*

Never had one since.
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Cavebear

I got JWed last week
(12-10-2020, 08:37 AM)trdsf Wrote: It's been ages since the last time a wanna-be preacher showed up at my door -- 10am on a Sunday, it was.  My comment was along the lines of "If your god is so all-powerful, he could have bloody told you I work third shift and YOU JUST WOKE ME UP!" *>doorslam<*

Never had one since.

Anger works. I just annoyed the crap out of them.

I got JWed last week
(12-10-2020, 01:22 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

I made a comment at the bottom of your thread in response to Tiny House Girl.   Laura is my name, refuting Yahwah is my game.

I meant to say that I'm engaged in a discussion with a Jehovah's Witness who claims to be married to an atheist. Thanks for your support.  Thumbs Up
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dancefortwo