Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Squeaky little bastard!

Squeaky little bastard!
(11-23-2020, 04:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote: A cat.

A mouser. A generic cat may or may not chase mice. It's a learned behaviour.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Tres Leches

Squeaky little bastard!
(11-23-2020, 04:17 PM)Astreja Wrote: Need some mouse-keeping advice.  My daughter wrote this note on the kitchen chalkboard the other day:

Mouse at large
     It scorns the traps

I have some baited snap-traps in strategic locations, but the mouse ain't buyin' it.  What are your preferred anti-rodent devices and strategies?

I have always had good luck with them.  What are you using for bait?  I used a 1/2 inch square bit of card board with a dab of peanut butter.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Peebothuhlu

Squeaky little bastard!
(11-27-2020, 07:49 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 04:17 PM)Astreja Wrote: Need some mouse-keeping advice.  My daughter wrote this note on the kitchen chalkboard the other day:

Mouse at large
     It scorns the traps

I have some baited snap-traps in strategic locations, but the mouse ain't buyin' it.  What are your preferred anti-rodent devices and strategies?

I have always had good luck with them.  What are you using for bait?  I used a 1/2 inch square bit of card board with a dab of peanut butter.

I tend to get the lil' buggers up in my roof spaces.

I buy those 'Rat bait bricks' coat 'em in peanutbutter and toss them off into the far corners. (Using plastic knives which I toss directly into the garbage)

the pitter, patter of little paws goes quite very quickly after that.

Cheers.

Squeaky little bastard!
So I think that we have verified that Peanut butter is a good mouse bait. The big question is, does crunchy or smooth work better?
I suppose there's more chance of them choking to death on crunchy.

Squeaky little bastard!
At work. 

(11-27-2020, 09:28 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: So I think that we have verified that Peanut butter is a good mouse bait. The big question is, does crunchy or smooth work better?

I use smooth. Simply because it's easier to spread when you're lathering rat-bait bricks in a dark, dusty, cramped roof space.   Tongue

Your nut-butter spreading situations may vary.  Big Grin

Are people trying for humane catch traps? Or just 'Baiting and forgetting'?

Cheers.

Squeaky little bastard!
(11-27-2020, 09:42 AM)Peebothuhlu Wrote: At work. 

(11-27-2020, 09:28 AM)TonyAnkle Wrote: So I think that we have verified that Peanut butter is a good mouse bait. The big question is, does crunchy or smooth work better?

I use smooth. Simply because it's easier to spread when you're lathering rat-bait bricks in a dark, dusty, cramped roof space.   Tongue

Your nut-butter spreading situations may vary.  Big Grin

Are people trying for humane catch traps? Or just 'Baiting and forgetting'?

Cheers.

I use humane with Peanut butter (see upthread) I use smooth simply because crunchy is less likely to stick to the mechanism. Smile
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Peebothuhlu

Squeaky little bastard!
I was helping clean out a garage today and we found six baby mice.
The big African dude I was with was squealing and dancing around on his tiptoes. :-)
I took them out and stomped them into the garden...nice and quick.
Mum was never coming back and I got plans for her anyway.
This will be an ongoing problem as these clients leave food all over the house.

Squeaky little bastard!

Mouse at large
     It scorns the traps

I use the type of snap trap in which the mouse sticks its head inside to get the bait, then get decapitated. If mice shy away from the trap, I wash it with dish soap and rinse it well with hot water. That always works. I use peanut butter for bait.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • SYZ

Squeaky little bastard!
I use one of these humane mouse traps.  It's totally painless for the mouse,
and doesn't need any bait, and stays remarkably clean.

[Image: 215883.jpg]

—Only problem being that we seem to have even more mice around lately.

Dunno
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Squeaky little bastard!
(11-28-2020, 09:42 PM)SYZ Wrote: I use one of these humane mouse traps.  It's totally painless for the mouse,
and doesn't need any bait, and stays remarkably clean.

[Image: 215883.jpg]

—Only problem being that we seem to have even more mice around lately.

Dunno

They'll be all the ones that people like me release. Smile
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Astreja

Squeaky little bastard!
(11-27-2020, 07:49 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I have always had good luck with them.  What are you using for bait?

Peanut butter and a few pieces of cracker.

Quote:I used a 1/2 inch square bit of card board with a dab of peanut butter.

Is the cardboard just a holder for the peanut butter, or does it have another function?

Squeaky little bastard!
(duplicate post)

Squeaky little bastard!
Peanut hulls don't spoil and smell just as good to the vermin.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Squeaky little bastard!
Bacon is the best bait for mice.  Peanut butter is for squirrels.  I hate both.  I don't use snap traps for mice because I have cats and I would never take a chance of injuring one.  I use a strange little grabber for the mice and voles.  It can hold a mouse, but a cat can just shake it off (though I set them in places where my cats are VERY unlikely to get at).

[Image: Mousetrap.jpg]

Different brand, but same concept.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama