Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit - Problems

(12-21-2020, 10:12 PM)Dom Wrote: You must have double clicked on something during set-up. 10 is innocent, otherwise more people would have this issue. Have you tried googling the issue? That's how I usually resolve whatever may be going on.

Thanks Dom... I'll check that out.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(12-21-2020, 08:47 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:33 PM)abaris Wrote: I went from XP to Vista, to 7, to 10.

I went from XP to 7 to 10 to Ubuntu Linux. I got fucking tired of windows software that worked perfectly in XP and 7 only to suddenly, unexplainedly fail in Win10 after yet another unnecessary weekly update.

Linux is just Mint.

(12-21-2020, 10:12 PM)Dom Wrote: You must have double clicked on something during set-up. 10 is innocent, otherwise more people would have this issue. Have you tried googling the issue? That's how I usually resolve whatever may be going on.
I always feel the prickle of needles in voodoo dolls when I say I've had no problems with Win1010.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-21-2020, 10:50 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
I always feel the prickle of needles in voodoo dolls when I say I've had no problems with Win1010.

No problens here either.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

I went from XP to 7 to 10 to Ubuntu Linux. I got fucking tired of windows software that worked perfectly in XP and 7 only to suddenly, unexplainedly fail in Win10 after yet another unnecessary weekly update.

That's been an unfortunate problem with Win 10. I've been lucky and not had a problem, but that's rarer than it should be.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • SYZ

... and the bitch of it is that you can turn automatic updates off in the settings, but it reverts to the default after a month, or perhaps sooner(?). I should not have to reset that regularly to get my property to operate the way I like. The possibility of update failures gnaws at me, even with a backup laptop. I shouldn't have to worry about that shit.

Other than that, I don't have much issue with Win10. That is, however, a big if -- and a BIG fail.

Anyway, @Dom's advice to google the problem is really good. I helped my mom with her iPad out last week doing that. Twenty minutes of her cussing sorted in about ninety seconds.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom, SYZ

(12-21-2020, 11:00 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 10:50 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

No problens here either.

Spellcheck might be broken Tongue
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • SYZ

(12-21-2020, 11:45 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:00 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 10:50 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I always feel the prickle of needles in voodoo dolls when I say I've had no problems with Win1010.

No problens here either.

I hunt and peck. Then I publish. Then I see all the typos and edit. Almost every post.  Tongue

Including this one.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-21-2020, 11:47 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:45 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:00 PM)Dom Wrote: No problens here either.

I hunt and peck. Then I publish. Then I see all the typos and edit. Almost every post.  Tongue

Including this one.

lol, you can find any post of mine and read the edit numbers.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom

(12-21-2020, 11:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:47 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I went from XP to 7 to 10 to Ubuntu Linux. I got fucking tired of windows software that worked perfectly in XP and 7 only to suddenly, unexplainedly fail in Win10 after yet another unnecessary weekly update.

... and the bitch of it is that you can turn automatic updates off in the settings, but it reverts to the default after  a month, or perhaps sooner(?). I should not have to reset that regularly to get my property to operate the way I like. The possibility of update failures gnaws at me, even with a backup laptop. I shouldn't have to worry about that shit.

That's why I killed that shit with that firewall I recommended to you. I only get updates if and when I choose to. And, It affords me time to back-up before risking M$ breaking shit, yet again.

Between M$ being control freak douche-bags and gaming companies aiming more of their product line at Linux, the Windows market share is starting to shrink. If they keep running full steam ahead, ignoring the complaints of their user base, that will only accelerate.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(12-22-2020, 01:19 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 08:47 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: I went from XP to 7 to 10 to Ubuntu Linux. I got fucking tired of windows software that worked perfectly in XP and 7 only to suddenly, unexplainedly fail in Win10 after yet another unnecessary weekly update.

... and the bitch of it is that you can turn automatic updates off in the settings, but it reverts to the default after  a month, or perhaps sooner(?). I should not have to reset that regularly to get my property to operate the way I like. The possibility of update failures gnaws at me, even with a backup laptop. I shouldn't have to worry about that shit.

That's why I killed that shit with that firewall I recommended to you. I only get updates if and when I choose to. And, It affords me time to back-up before risking M$ breaking shit, yet again.

Between M$ being control freak douche-bags and gaming companies aiming more of their product line at Linux, the Windows market share is starting to shrink. If they keep running full steam ahead, ignoring the complaints of their user base, that will only accelerate.

Mine always asks me to schedule an available update, and if I don't respond, it just waits until I activate it, which I usually do when I am done for the day. Never had an issue.

(12-22-2020, 12:38 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 01:19 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: ... and the bitch of it is that you can turn automatic updates off in the settings, but it reverts to the default after  a month, or perhaps sooner(?). I should not have to reset that regularly to get my property to operate the way I like. The possibility of update failures gnaws at me, even with a backup laptop. I shouldn't have to worry about that shit.

Mine always asks me to schedule an available update, and if I don't respond, it just waits until I activate it, which I usually do when I am done for the day. Never had an issue.

Yeah, you can postpone updates, for a limited time. Problem is, my machine is almost always busy doing something. That means, once M$ stops allowing me to postpone, breaking into something that's half done in order to do an update that is far too likely to break something, and restart what was running before, from scratch. Aggravating to say the least, especially when the latest Ubuntu will patch and update on the fly, only requiring a reboot if the core kernels are updated. M$ forces a reboot no matter how much, or how little, is updated.

Personally, I hope M$ keeps irritating and ignoring their user base. As more people move away from M$, more developers will move as well, or at least include other systems. The gaming industry is already moving that direction with others starting to follow.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

This is a bit of a derail but I'm curious, why do some threads like this one have a red circle with a white exclamation mark on the link in the user interface?
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(12-22-2020, 07:41 PM)adey67 Wrote: This is a bit of a derail but I'm curious, why do some threads like this one have a red circle with a white exclamation mark on the link in the user interface?

I added that when I made the OP. You can add whatever symbol you like from the
list depending on your mood or the mood of your thread. I just add the exclamation
mark if it's a standard question or statement.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • adey67