Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political correctness in engineering

(11-18-2020, 07:48 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I wonder if estate agents will stop using the term master bedroom?

Already done. 

https://abc13.com/houston-association-of...Biedenfeld.

Quote:The Houston Association of Realtors, commonly know as HAR, has made changes to its room descriptions on its online property database, replacing the term "master" with "primary."

Master bedroom and master bathroom will now say primary bedroom and primary bath.

"Some of these changes are simply good faith exercises to demonstrate awareness of historic improprieties or inequities," said Associate Prof. of Business at the University of Houston - Downtown Dietrich von Biedenfeld.   

What's the big deal? Languages including English are not static; they are constantly evolving and it seems silly to take offense at changes in how people communicate with each other. If someone wants to call the big bedroom a primary bedroom instead of a master bedroom, that's fine with me.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • epronovost, Mathilda

Facepalm
R.I.P. Hannes

I was wondering tonight what would replace the term, "horse-collar tackle."
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(11-20-2020, 03:52 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 07:48 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I wonder if estate agents will stop using the term master bedroom?

Already done. 

https://abc13.com/houston-association-of...Biedenfeld.

Quote:The Houston Association of Realtors, commonly know as HAR, has made changes to its room descriptions on its online property database, replacing the term "master" with "primary."

Master bedroom and master bathroom will now say primary bedroom and primary bath.

"Some of these changes are simply good faith exercises to demonstrate awareness of historic improprieties or inequities," said Associate Prof. of Business at the University of Houston - Downtown Dietrich von Biedenfeld.   

What's the big deal? Languages including English are not static; they are constantly evolving and it seems silly to take offense at changes in how people communicate with each other. If someone wants to call the big bedroom a primary bedroom instead of a master bedroom, that's fine with me.

-Teresa

Yeah, so are we going to go to the trouble of renaming everything then? What will the masters golf be called? "The competition for pepole who are very good at golf competition."
The following 2 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Deesse23, Minimalist

(11-20-2020, 08:17 AM)Dānu Wrote: I was wondering tonight what would replace the term, "horse-collar tackle."

Equine harness restraint.
On hiatus.

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23

An engineer is a person who determines the square root of 4 to be 1.99999999 and says, "oh, that's close enough".
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(11-21-2020, 12:44 PM)SYZ Wrote: An engineer is a person who determines the square root of 4 to be 1.99999999 and says, "oh, that's close enough".

1.9999 is close enough for all practical purposes.  Girl_yes2
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.