Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
When this COVID bullshit is over, what are your travel plans ?

I just want to be able to sit down in a restaurant and eat a meal. At this point, my own city is a foreign land.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Gwaithmir, Bucky Ball, Tres Leches, jerry mcmasters

I’ll be going to Belgium and the Netherlands to visit family and friends.
The following 2 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Bucky Ball, skyking

Cousins from D/FW look to be canceling on their regular holiday visit. It sucks that we might not see them, but I don't blame them. They're both over 60 and my sis is having her kids visit from DC, Ohio, and Florida. I will probably keep a low profile myself, given my regular public exposure.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bucky Ball

We are tentatively planning a trip to Bar Harbor this coming summer. Maine is one of the few states I've never been to, and Karen wants to see the whales.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
The following 2 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball

To whatever town is putting on a musical.
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Tres Leches, skyking

(11-12-2020, 11:34 PM)julep Wrote: To whatever town is putting on a musical.

Broadway theatres are still dark.  I believe they canceled the fall season too.  Across the pond the Royal Ballet recently did a performace with about 1/3 the audience capacity but I think they had to shut down again.  If the Covid vaccine works it will probably be next summer when the entertainment industry, big and small, can slowly get going again. A lot of small regional theatres just couldn't cope with the Covid disaster so they've shut down for good.  

Actors usually can fall back on waiting tables but most restaurants are only taking pick up orders .  Adding to their misery, out of work Broadway actors and dancers don't have much health insurance and the unemployment insurance is pretty scant.  Some actors are trying to do voice over work but there's only so much call for voice work.   Off Broadway theatres are really hurting right now.  And think about classical music.  Most large-ish cities have a symphony orcestra and as far as I know they're all shut down.  What a mess for the theatre arts. Movie and tv productions are having a tough time too.  I think I read that Covid testing is done every day on the actors and production crew. They have to live a quarantined lifestyle.  

Football is going gangbusters though.  It's so funny to watch a football game with the cardboard cutout spectators sitting in the stands and then the sound crew is piping in the roaring sounds of 15 thousand fans cheering for the team.  The Covid world is very weird.
                                                         T4618

My worry is that music and theater might be permanently damaged, and, even if it does come back, does so slowly and weakly.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I'm going to the Undying Lands.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(11-13-2020, 04:49 PM)Dānu Wrote: My worry is that music and theater might be permanently damaged, and, even if it does come back, does so slowly and weakly.

I think it might be weakened.  New York theatres aren't scheduled to open unitl May of next year.  Many New York actors and all the other talented folks on Broadway have had to leave the city and go back to their home towns because it's too expensive to live there.  One weird thing that might happen is that with all the talent being scattered across the country they might create small theatres here and there when Covid ends.  Who knows though.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • c172

I might venture out of the UK again... I'm thinking maybe Norway or Sweden in the next year or so.
It's our 25th wedding anniversary in 2022, so I'm saving up for somewhere special. She's always wanted to go to Italy but we could never afford it, personally I'm happy enough knocking around in Cheshire but I understand her desire to see different places.
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Tres Leches

(11-13-2020, 07:41 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I might venture out of the UK again... I'm thinking maybe Norway or Sweden in the next year or so.
It's our 25th wedding anniversary in 2022, so I'm saving up for somewhere special. She's always wanted to go to Italy but we could never afford it, personally I'm happy enough knocking around in Cheshire but I understand her desire to see different places.

Awww, how wonderful.  Early congratulations on 25 years of marriage.     Big Grin
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • TonyAnkle

(11-13-2020, 07:45 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 07:41 PM)TonyAnkle Wrote: I might venture out of the UK again... I'm thinking maybe Norway or Sweden in the next year or so.

Awww, how wonderful.  Early congratulations on 25 years of marriage.     Big Grin

Cheers...
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I have an old friend in Philly that I haven't seen since the 1990s. I promised I would go see him when the pandemic subsides.

After that, Paris.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom

(11-09-2020, 04:57 AM)c172 Wrote: Will this ever end? My mother has been on a plane a few times and says safety is taken extremely seriously. However, I have become predominately a wheelchair user in the past year, which makes me really need to learn about ADA compliance in airports, airplanes, and on buses and in taxis, etc. Add onto that COVID-19 measures, which may or may not take priority over the ADA.

What I mean is, I'm in no rush, but if it happens, it happens. I think here on out, I don't like the idea of travel for just pleasure. It would need to be family, because aunt and uncles are getting older, and I'm not too well acquainted with my cousins' kids, for instance. And frankly, I'm not entirely sure how tolerant of my current situation they will all be. This may bring out the fear-baed ablism in some of them.

I am very far flung. I have no family, besides parents, in California. Next closest are in Missouri. I have no clue what a trip out there would ever look like.

Leisurewise, I'd love a weekend at either the L.A. Auto Show or Abilities Expo (a large trade fair for disabled folks, at the L.A. Convention Center), or an MLS match somewhere, or the NCAA College Cup. But my situation is too difficult these days.  Maybe oon.

Well, get your butt up to Sacramento and visit. I know you lived up here for a time? If you feel like visiting your old haunts post-pandemic, give me a heads-up and we can meet up. Smile

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Fireball, c172

(11-14-2020, 04:11 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 04:57 AM)c172 Wrote: Will this ever end? My mother has been on a plane a few times and says safety is taken extremely seriously. However, I have become predominately a wheelchair user in the past year, which makes me really need to learn about ADA compliance in airports, airplanes, and on buses and in taxis, etc. Add onto that COVID-19 measures, which may or may not take priority over the ADA.

What I mean is, I'm in no rush, but if it happens, it happens. I think here on out, I don't like the idea of travel for just pleasure. It would need to be family, because aunt and uncles are getting older, and I'm not too well acquainted with my cousins' kids, for instance. And frankly, I'm not entirely sure how tolerant of my current situation they will all be. This may bring out the fear-baed ablism in some of them.

I am very far flung. I have no family, besides parents, in California. Next closest are in Missouri. I have no clue what a trip out there would ever look like.

Leisurewise, I'd love a weekend at either the L.A. Auto Show or Abilities Expo (a large trade fair for disabled folks, at the L.A. Convention Center), or an MLS match somewhere, or the NCAA College Cup. But my situation is too difficult these days.  Maybe oon.

Well, get your butt up to Sacramento and visit. I know you lived up here for a time? If you feel like visiting your old haunts post-pandemic, give me a heads-up and we can meet up. Smile

-Teresa

The wife wants to do some traveling in our trailer. At some point we could meet up, but we'd have to cook up a story other than that we were acquainted via an atheist forum. I don't know how that could be arranged.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • c172, Tres Leches

If I can walk we'll take the Inland Waterway up from Vancouver to Alaska to do some whale watching.

If I can't walk Boss Lady has promised to toss me overboard to the first pod of Orcas she sees. "No nobler end!"
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

(11-14-2020, 04:23 AM)Fireball Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 04:11 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

-Teresa

The wife wants to do some traveling in our trailer. At some point we could meet up, but we'd have to cook up a story other than that we were acquainted via an atheist forum. I don't know how that could be arranged.

I'm terrible at cooking up stories but it would be lovely to meet up somehow. 

On a side note, I've visited so many California state parks in the last 6-7 months that I'm buying a one year Park Pass.  My kid and I have trekked to a number of parks that we've never seen before. We are lucky to live within short driving distances to so much amazing scenery.

-Teresa

The following 3 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • c172, Fireball, Dānu

My wife would like to do one last international trip, to Ireland, to explore her roots.

As soon as the Canadian border opens we will be making some exploratory trips up to the Ottawa and Montreal areas to reconnoiter for possible expatriation. But for us that is really barely a day trip.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Tres Leches, TonyAnkle

I'd like to go back to Michigan to see friends and family. I haven't been outside of rural Ontario since January.
The following 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post:
  • skyking

I never traveled before C-19.

(11-22-2020, 02:24 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: I never traveled before C-19.

The largest body of land I have yet to visit is Greenland. I joined the Navy to see the world. And to get the fuck out of Indiana.

The fuck is in Indiana?

Vivekananda

Speedway. Which has a speedway.

And then there's Trump's death chamber. Happenin' place this year.
Is this sig thing on?

(11-22-2020, 03:48 PM)Dānu Wrote: The fuck is in Indiana?

The place that spawned the likes of Pence. I have done some flying over the "flyover" states, next we will be "hurrying through them" in the RV.

(11-14-2020, 01:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: If I can walk we'll take the Inland Waterway up from Vancouver to Alaska to do some whale watching.

If I can't walk Boss Lady has promised to toss me overboard to the first  pod of Orcas she sees. "No nobler end!"

We did a cruise, it was not really the inland waterway as it went outside Vancouver Island to begin with. We swore and played cards every night in one corner of the big cafeteria, 9 of us.
We'll meet you for some bitter coffee on the waterfront, if you do get to cruise.