Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxford coronavirus vaccine ‘works as expected’ and triggers ‘strong immunity’

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/23/oxford-co...to=cbshare

Quote: The coronavirus vaccine being developed at Oxford University is working well and has been shown to produce a ‘strong immune response’ in volunteers, studies show. Instead of using a weakened strain, or small parts of it, like traditional vaccines, the Oxford jab directs the body to produce part of the virus itself. 

Researchers led by the University of Bristol found it effectively delivers genetic instructions telling the body how to make the spike protein from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. Once the protein is replicated, the immune system then reacts to it – training the body recognise the disease and be able to fight it off without the person falling ill.

Dr David Matthews, from Bristol’s School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine (CMM), led the research.

He said: ‘This is an important study as we are able to confirm that the genetic instructions underpinning this vaccine, which is being developed as fast as safely possible, are correctly followed when they get into a human cell. ‘Until now, the technology hasn’t been able to provide answers with such clarity, but we now know the vaccine is doing everything we expected and that is only good news in our fight against the illness.

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 10 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • skyking, brewerb, Deesse23, brunumb, TonyAnkle, Kim, Astreja, abaris, Gwaithmir, Mark

I would not be the least bit surprised to hear in 5-10 years that Dr. Matthews has been nominated for a Nobel Prize.  If this holds up clinically and in the field, this is fucking awesome.   Thumbs Up
The following 6 users Like Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Kim, Bucky Ball, Gwaithmir, Mark

To be honest, I'd trust a vaccine developed & tested at Oxford University, far more than I'd trust almost anything developed & tested in the US.

Undecided It's distressing how much I distrust my own country to protect my wellbeing.

I've been "touting" this work since I heard about it in June or July.
Their lab has been studying all the Covid viruses for about 10 years, I heard, and I think created vaccines for some of the others.
Actually I expected to have heard about this about a month ago.
But it is very good news.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Trump will demand a vaccine developed in America. Many Americans will die because of that bullshit.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Mark

(10-26-2020, 10:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Trump will demand a vaccine developed in America. Many Americans will die because of that bullshit.

In China right now, they're lining up to pay for vaccines ... $60.00 a pop. 
Once they're released, Trump will have no controll over the distribution.
Test

(10-26-2020, 06:00 PM)Kim Wrote: To be honest, I'd trust a vaccine developed & tested at Oxford University, far more than I'd trust almost anything developed & tested in the US.  

Undecided  It's distressing how much I distrust my own country to protect my wellbeing.

That's because they are far more interested in protecting big-pharmas bottom line!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Mark

(10-26-2020, 11:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 10:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Trump will demand a vaccine developed in America. Many Americans will die because of that bullshit.

In China right now, they're lining up to pay for vaccines ... $60.00 a pop. 
Once they're released, Trump will have no controll over the distribution.

Tariffs.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

Inauguration Day!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

In July the US admin ordered 100mio doses of a vaccine from Pfitzer (US, distributor) and Biontech (GER, designer), for 2bio$, with the option for 500mio more doses. Biontech is in the last stage of testing and expects its vaccine to hit the market until end of this year. Biontech stocks have more than TRIPLED since March.

Biontech has leased a facility in Marburg (of all places Winking ) for producing 150mio doses until end of this year and a further 200mio (afaik) each month next year.

With two companies having a vaccine soon, the pandemic is maybe over next year, but as Mr. Wolf said: "Lets not just start licking each others balls yet" Big Grin "
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Kim

(10-26-2020, 06:00 PM)Kim Wrote: To be honest, I'd trust a vaccine developed & tested at Oxford University, far more than I'd trust almost anything developed & tested in the US.  

Undecided  It's distressing how much I distrust my own country to protect my wellbeing.

But I would also want the US CDC (free of political influence) to agree. And see the study peer-reviewed in several medical journals.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Chas

(10-27-2020, 06:45 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: In July the US admin ordered 100mio doses of a vaccine from Pfitzer (US, distributor) and Biontech (GER, designer), for 2bio$, with the option for 500mio more doses. Biontech is in the last stage of testing and expects its vaccine to hit the market until end of this year. Biontech stocks have more than TRIPLED since March.

Biontech has leased a facility in Marburg (of all places  Winking ) for producing 150mio doses until end of this year and a further 200mio (afaik) each month next year.

With two companies having a vaccine soon, the pandemic is maybe over next year, but as Mr. Wolf said: "Lets not just start licking each others balls yet"  Big Grin "

Ooh shit, Marburg. Dodgy I think I'll wait on that particular vaccine ... just to make certain no recipient starts bleeding out their eyeballs.

(10-27-2020, 02:09 PM)Kim Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 06:45 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: In July the US admin ordered 100mio doses of a vaccine from Pfitzer (US, distributor) and Biontech (GER, designer), for 2bio$, with the option for 500mio more doses. Biontech is in the last stage of testing and expects its vaccine to hit the market until end of this year. Biontech stocks have more than TRIPLED since March.

Biontech has leased a facility in Marburg (of all places  Winking ) for producing 150mio doses until end of this year and a further 200mio (afaik) each month next year.

With two companies having a vaccine soon, the pandemic is maybe over next year, but as Mr. Wolf said: "Lets not just start licking each others balls yet"  Big Grin "

Ooh shit, Marburg.    Dodgy    I think I'll wait on that particular vaccine ... just to make certain no recipient starts bleeding out their eyeballs.

If "some" vaccine was offerred, how long would you keep wearing masks and self-quarantining vs getting along with "normal" life? It doesn't quite apply to me because I stay mostly at home anyway so I haven't changed my habits much.

Ooh shit, Marburg.    Dodgy    I think I'll wait on that particular vaccine ... just to make certain no recipient starts bleeding out their eyeballs.

Marburg is a nice little city after all. Almost liek Heidelberg, will a highly renowned university.

I know what i am talking about, i served my time in the army in Marburg on top of a hill just outside of town. On arrival on our first day they picked us up at the train station and told us:

Quote:
Quote:This is the highest mountain in the world: It will take us 5mins to take you up, and it will take you 15 months to get back down
We werent laughing.  Dodgy
It was a leap year.  Weeping

No, but seriously, there is nothing to fear. The vaccine is based on...smallpox Big Grin Girl_yes2
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Fireball, Kim

(10-27-2020, 04:59 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:

Marburg is a nice little city after all. Almost liek Heidelberg, will a highly renowned university.

I know what i am talking about, i served my time in the army in Marburg on top of a hill just outside of town. On arrival on our first day they picked us up at the train station and told us:

Quote:
Quote:This is the highest mountain in the world: It will take us 5mins to take you up, and it will take you 15 months to get back down
We werent laughing.  Dodgy
It was a leap year.  Weeping

No, but seriously, there is nothing to fear. The vaccine is based on...smallpox  Big Grin  Girl_yes2

Can you provide a link to support that?

All vaccines are based on smallpox. Well cowpox actually, and its where it came from. Vax comes from latin for "cow". Cowpox victims got mild cases of the transmitted disease and some people noted that cowpox survivors (most people) never got smallpox.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Well, who knew that something so useful could have come from such a tiny insignificant island with crappy food. The rest of the modern world is in trial stages with the covid boogyman virus but a study is good too.

(10-27-2020, 05:16 PM)Cavebear Wrote: All vaccines are based on smallpox.  Well cowpox actually, and its where it came from.  Vax comes from latin for "cow".   Cowpox victims got mild cases of the transmitted disease and some people noted that cowpox survivors (most people) never got smallpox.

No, they're not.  The concept is similar - to create an immune response with something that is not the disease pathogen itself.

And the Latin for cow is vacca.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Kim

(11-03-2020, 05:35 AM)JimBones Wrote: Well, who knew that something so useful could have come from such a tiny insignificant island with crappy food. The rest of the modern world is in trial stages with the covid boogyman virus but a study is good too.

You have a very different voice than you did two weeks ago. The patina of reason has been wiped away. Also, you forgot to add "Trump 2020!"
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

(11-03-2020, 06:36 AM)Chas Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 05:16 PM)Cavebear Wrote: All vaccines are based on smallpox.  Well cowpox actually, and its where it came from.  Vax comes from latin for "cow".   Cowpox victims got mild cases of the transmitted disease and some people noted that cowpox survivors (most people) never got smallpox.

No, they're not.  The concept is similar - to create an immune response with something that is not the disease pathogen itself.

And the Latin for cow is vacca.

The word vaccine comes from the Latin word vacca - cow.
But yea - not all vaccines are based on smallpox. The concept is merely similar.

I think the pedantry of conversationalists, depends very much on interpretation & a particular amount of coffee. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

You have to under the current management unless you've absorbed a media delivered lobotomy.

Good point but I'd also not want to try it if being driven to licking balls was a side effect.

(11-03-2020, 05:35 AM)JimBones Wrote: the covid boogyman virus

This is what happens when the lazy ignorant lose all perspective and think being right is an entitlement of those who yell the loudest and most relentlessly.  I hope you grow out of it.  May as well become a YEC too, it wouldn't require reaching new intellectual low point.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • Fireball, Kim, Thumpalumpacus

(11-03-2020, 05:35 AM)JimBones Wrote: covid boogyman virus
The one that killed 1.2mio people within 9 months, despite taking all kinda actions to prevent it from spreading, including hurting the poor little economy?
The one that we havent got a vaccine against yet?
The one that is filling up ICUs worldwide at a staggering rate?

That one?
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Fireball

(11-03-2020, 05:35 AM)JimBones Wrote: Well, who knew that something so useful could have come from such a tiny insignificant island with crappy food.

Go and fuck yourself.
The following 1 user Likes TonyAnkle's post:
  • Fireball

(11-03-2020, 05:35 AM)JimBones Wrote: Well, who knew that something so useful could have come from such a tiny insignificant island with crappy food. The rest of the modern world is in trial stages with the covid boogyman virus but a study is good too.

Ooooh, edgy! Even Putin's Puppet got it.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.