Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Paradox of Immortality

(10-27-2020, 03:25 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:38 PM)Little Lunch Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:31 PM)Minimalist Wrote: By bed time every day my knees tell me that "immortality" is not such a hot idea.

By bedtime?
I'm like that 'evolution of man' picture from the car to the house when I get home from work. :-)

Retirement does help that a bit.

Actually, Minimalist does have a point. Between lunch and dinner, I seldom sit down. And even lunch is on a hard wooden chair. So after I make dinner, I put up the tray and sink into the easy chai to eat a decent meal. Oh does THAT feel GOOD! I can feel each knee joint relax. I can feel my spine relax. That's why I am generally around here at night. It is so HARD to get up out of that comfy chair..........
I never had monsters under the bed, in the closet, or an imaginary friend.  Where did I go wrong?

I bought a 2.5" memory foam mattress topper for my futon. I think the softer surface is actually having a negative impact on my back health. I was going to replace the futon with a memory foam bed, but I think I may just go with a new futon instead.
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-27-2020, 03:27 PM)no one Wrote: [Image: icon_quote.jpg]Susan Ertz:
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Have used that quote for years.
I never had monsters under the bed, in the closet, or an imaginary friend.  Where did I go wrong?

(10-27-2020, 03:19 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:55 PM)Little Lunch Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:50 PM)Cavebear Wrote: When I "read between the lines" I'm told I am making assumptions about people.  Not that I'm ever wrong, but no one keeps good score on that.  And you say I should.  Well, I'm stuck "betwixt and between", huh?

You have too many "ifs".  

I am very much aware of the idea that science is like magic to the unknowing.  I could probably bore you to tears about that.  

But what I will say is that what you are suggesting has no basis in reality.  Could it some day?  Sure.  I don't know the future and neither do you.

"I'm told"...

"Not that I'm ever wrong"...

"I don't know"... 

:-)

The "I'm told" is here on various pages.  

"Not that I'm ever wrong"...  I'll give 2 examples in general.  Once in a performance review my Team Leader said "well no one is always right".  I challenged him to provide a single example ever of when I was wrong in my voice telecommunications program management.  He couldn't and he had 5 years of records.  

Second, I was at the grocery store and challenged a price.  The supervisory manager at the front desk said I was wrong.  I said I was never wrong and that I challenge prices about once a month.  She said "only God is never wrong".  I repeated that, in years, I had never been wrong once about a price.  She repeated about God.  Guess what?  I was was right about the correct price.  

"I don't know"... "  About the future.  No one can.  Only charlatans and fools think they do.

You'll have to do a LOT better than THAT!  LOL!

It doesn't matter what was in between each quotation mark.
What I was really doing was imitating your first remarks to show that what you said originally makes no sense.
You really should learn to read between the lines.
Instead of thinking about what I wrote, think about why I wrote what I wrote.
I see lots of things fly over your head and I think it's part of your social problem you have here.
The following 2 users Like Little Lunch's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, TheGentlemanBastard

(10-27-2020, 03:43 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 03:25 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:38 PM)Little Lunch Wrote: By bedtime?
I'm like that 'evolution of man' picture from the car to the house when I get home from work. :-)

Retirement does help that a bit.

Actually, Minimalist does have a point.  Between lunch and dinner, I seldom sit down.  And even lunch is on a hard wooden chair.  So after I make dinner, I put up the tray and sink into the easy chai to eat a decent meal.  Oh does THAT feel GOOD!  I can feel each knee joint relax.  I can feel my spine relax.  That's why I am generally around here at night.  It is so HARD to get up out of that comfy chair..........

Wireless keyboard would help.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(10-27-2020, 09:04 PM)Little Lunch Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 03:19 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:55 PM)Little Lunch Wrote: "I'm told"...

"Not that I'm ever wrong"...

"I don't know"... 

:-)

The "I'm told" is here on various pages.  

"Not that I'm ever wrong"...  I'll give 2 examples in general.  Once in a performance review my Team Leader said "well no one is always right".  I challenged him to provide a single example ever of when I was wrong in my voice telecommunications program management.  He couldn't and he had 5 years of records.  

Second, I was at the grocery store and challenged a price.  The supervisory manager at the front desk said I was wrong.  I said I was never wrong and that I challenge prices about once a month.  She said "only God is never wrong".  I repeated that, in years, I had never been wrong once about a price.  She repeated about God.  Guess what?  I was was right about the correct price.  

"I don't know"... "  About the future.  No one can.  Only charlatans and fools think they do.

You'll have to do a LOT better than THAT!  LOL!

It doesn't matter what was in between each quotation mark.
What I was really doing was imitating your first remarks to show that what you said originally makes no sense.
You really should learn to read between the lines.
Instead of thinking about what I wrote, think about why I wrote what I wrote.
I see lots of things fly over your head and I think it's part of your social problem you have here.

Big Grin

I am aware what you tried to do. Part of my government career was to write replies to statements like yours, civilly. The difference is that I answered your post, and you didn't answer mine.