Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeopteryx´ feather

Archaeopteryx´ feather
A recently published study shows that:
Quote:Evidence corroborates identity of isolated fossil feather as a wing covert of Archaeopteryx
The feather was found in 1861 in Bavaria

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/scien...teryx.html
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-65336-y
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 7 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Fireball, Dānu, Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball, Paleophyte

Archaeopteryx´ feather
It's amazing how finely sandstone preserves details.

As a boy, the first fossil I found was a small fish-tail, impressed into sandstone, in the Paluxy River here in Texas, about 40 mm across and 20 mm front-to-back. You could see every bony ray of the tail, and the clear outline of the fleshy tailfin itself, impressed into the fine wet sand that later solidified.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Chas, Gwaithmir

Archaeopteryx´ feather
It's amazing how far paleontologists have come since I first learned about these topics. Back then almost everything was a giant lizard. Now scientists are putting feathers on them and suggesting some may have been homeothermic. Archaeopteryx was obviously a bird and it's interesting the feathers look so similar to modern birds, but hard to imagine a T-Rex with plumage. If you have seen anything on the development of early flight please let me know. Cool post.

Archaeopteryx´ feather
(10-02-2020, 08:46 AM)Deesse23 Wrote: A recently published study shows that:
Quote:Evidence corroborates identity of isolated fossil feather as a wing covert of Archaeopteryx
The feather was found in 1861 in Bavaria

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/scien...teryx.html
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-65336-y

No, no. I believe that comes from Psittacus erithacus. I have dozens of them lying around.

Archaeopteryx´ feather
(10-16-2020, 03:37 AM)JimBones Wrote: It's amazing how far paleontologists have come since I first learned about these topics. Back then almost everything was a giant lizard. Now scientists are putting feathers on them and suggesting some may have been homeothermic. Archaeopteryx was obviously a bird and it's interesting the feathers look so similar to modern birds, but hard to imagine a T-Rex with plumage. If you have seen anything on the development of early flight please let me know. Cool post.

They also seem to add a lot of colour to them lately.
R.I.P. Hannes

Archaeopteryx´ feather
(10-16-2020, 06:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 03:37 AM)JimBones Wrote: It's amazing how far paleontologists have come since I first learned about these topics. Back then almost everything was a giant lizard. Now scientists are putting feathers on them and suggesting some may have been homeothermic. Archaeopteryx was obviously a bird and it's interesting the feathers look so similar to modern birds, but hard to imagine a T-Rex with plumage. If you have seen anything on the development of early flight please let me know. Cool post.

Pink T.rex. FABULOUS!
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Aliza

Archaeopteryx´ feather
(10-16-2020, 06:59 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:

It makes sense to have color to, animals today are not dull shades of grays. Besides, colorful dinos is just more interesting. A fluffy pink T-Rex, maybe. Like a huge flamingo with big teeth.