Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God Is Dead. So Is the Office. These People Want to Save Both

(01-12-2021, 08:38 PM)Disprove_God_please_ Wrote: Can you prove that God is dead please? Cause in order for you to do that you have to prove that God is in the Flesh of a mortal being?

No.  No more than you can prove that any god ever existed.

But the evidence strongly argues that all gods are human inventions.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • mordant

(01-12-2021, 08:38 PM)Disprove_God_please_ Wrote: Can you prove that God is dead please? Cause in order for you to do that you have to prove that God is in the Flesh of a mortal being?
That is not an argument anyone here is making.

That's Frederich Nietzsche and it doesn't mean what you think it means anyway.

My personal view is that "god is dead" is a non-sequitur if meant literally. It is my view that god does not and never has existed, and therefore cannot have an attribute such as "dead" applied to him anymore than Willie Wonka or Peter Pan can.

I speak here of god as a generic concept. If you mean the Christian deity specifically, then that's about ten times as true of him. Specific deities are always easier to debunk than a god concept, because they multiply logical conundrums with their specificities.

No. 

There really is no reason to even try. 
I suspect you only believe in one of them, and you dismiss all the others ... so you're an atheist also, with one exception. 
You can't even define what you're talking about. Yahweh Sabaoth ... the 40th (or is it the 70th) son of the chief Babylonian god. The god in the Bible. That one ? His wife, Ashera, whom they talk about in the Bible. Do you pray to her ? 

In defining your god, you will excluse certain qualities, thus proving yourself whatever deity you worship, is not the totality of reality. In so doing, you yourself prove your god is illegitimate. If your god is not evil, then it does not participate in the totality of reality, and as long as it existed, there is and was more to reality than your god(s). Where did this larger reality come from ? 

The "god is dead" thing is child's play. There were no gods ever, to begin with.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • mordant

I suspect this is another Shit and Runner.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Yawn. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

You're making the claim, it is up to you to prove it.

Oh and to keep the thread on topic, I'd be worried long term about the office being dead, it is one more turn towards work being the sole reason for life, because what a lot (if not a majority) of employers will do will be to pass on the costs of work equipment (the computer, phone, stationary &c) to their employees for the "benefit" of working from home.  And there'll be no diminution of after hours work, of sacrificing your family or personal life to the job, in fact there'll be likely an increase of it because your employer will have software on your computer spying on you every time you sit down at it.
Factio Republicanus delenda est!

(01-15-2021, 02:22 PM)Brian Shanahan Wrote:

You're making the claim, it is up to you to prove it.

Oh and to keep the thread on topic, I'd be worried long term about the office being dead, it is one more turn towards work being the sole reason for life, because what a lot (if not a majority) of employers will do will be to pass on the costs of work equipment (the computer, phone, stationary &c) to their employees for the "benefit" of working from home.  And there'll be no diminution of after hours work, of sacrificing your family or personal life to the job, in fact there'll be likely an increase of it because your employer will have software on your computer spying on you every time you sit down at it.
Speaking as the longtime holder of a portable job, and married to someone with a portable job -- I think more good than harm will come from it. Your point is well taken, though, that especially with employees (vs contractors or vendors) they will tend to be intrusive. It's one of the reasons I've avoided W2 work like the plague since the 1980s. Back in those days I was traffic manager / night dispatcher for a trucking company and they put a company phone in my home so that I could take orders and call in drivers in the evening hours. This worked fine for a year or two but one night I failed to answer the phone, which also rang at the owner's house, because I was dealing with my infant daughter's projectile diarrhea. My boss answered and 15 minutes later was angrily banging on my front door demanding to know why I hadn't answered the phone. I quit on the spot. He needed me more than I needed him, and rehired me the next morning, but I took this crossing of a personal boundary seriously enough that I was gone within a couple of months. Projecting that experience onto having company tentacles into my computers ... that's a hard "no". They'd be doing it wrong. I'd find someone with fewer control issues, who knows how to hold people accountable for results, not methods.

I can't prove god is dead.
I cleaned up the basement so well and I've already eaten all the body parts.
The following 1 user Likes Little Lunch's post:
  • julep