Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What was the high point of your day? 2.0

Gonna watch me some baseball tonight. Go Twinkies!
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Scheduling my vaccine appointment, motherfuckers.  Dance
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dānu, skyking, Astreja, Gwaithmir

I just discovered that I can watch HBOMax through my cable TV box. And the entire series of Kyra Sedgewick in The Closer is on there.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • skyking, GenesisNemesis

^good stuff
test signature
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Dānu, GenesisNemesis

Picked up a poster that I had sent out to be plaque-mounted (laminated onto hardboard):

[Image: 61EHuEOj1%2BL._AC_.jpg]

It's now hanging on the east wall of my finally completed study.   Dance  Yes, I finally did finish the room -- just short of 20 years of when I bought the house, and nearly five years after I went for the nuclear option and completely gutted the whole front of the 2nd floor of the house.  Wrecked the whole thing, right down to the wall studs and ceiling joists, and built it up again.  Thursday was moving-in day, and on Friday I started decorating the walls.
The following 5 users Like Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Bucky Ball, skyking, Dom, Chas

My "pet" raccoon Fellah has returned after a 10-week absence. I had feared that he had died in his den or been run over by a motorist. We had a heartwarming visit on the front porch, where I fed him Kibbles, gave him his meds, and brushed his fur. All the while, he churred happily and licked my face and hands. Afterward, he curled up in a corner and went to sleep for a couple of hours. I was hoping he'd stay for supper, but he was gone by early evening.

[Image: 330px-Raccoon_%28Procyon_lotor%29_2.jpg]
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Dānu, Dom, Astreja, Chas, abaris

(03-27-2021, 05:52 AM)Astreja Wrote: Picked up a poster that I had sent out to be plaque-mounted (laminated onto hardboard):

It's now hanging on the east wall of my finally completed study.   Dance  Yes, I finally did finish the room -- just short of 20 years of when I bought the house, and nearly five years after I went for the nuclear option and completely gutted the whole front of the 2nd floor of the house.  Wrecked the whole thing, right down to the wall studs and ceiling joists, and built it up again.  Thursday was moving-in day, and on Friday I started decorating the walls.

This is well beyond like-worthy, congratulations!
test signature
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(03-27-2021, 05:52 AM)Astreja Wrote: Picked up a poster that I had sent out to be plaque-mounted (laminated onto hardboard):

I wrecked the whole first house I bought, in sections, while I lived there. (It was run down and falling apart) One day, I tore out the bathroom floor since it had wood rot and you could fall into the basement. Then I went to sleep in the bedroom. In the middle of the night I had to go to the bathroom, got out of bed and tripped over the toilet that was sitting on the floor there. Fell forward with my face into the wall. Talk about a rude awakening! And - no bathroom, had to pee out in the yard.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Astreja

(03-27-2021, 02:49 PM)Dom Wrote: I wrecked the whole first house I bought, in sections, while I lived there...

This is the second house for which I've done major renovations.  My daughter (now in her mid-30s) grew up in an environment where something was always being worked on.  She once blogged "There is beer in the fridge and the kitchen sink is missing.  I'm not exactly sure how this came to pass, but I'm willing to bet that my mother had something to do with it."  Big Grin
The following 3 users Like Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, TheGentlemanBastard, Dom

I just returned from sister's belated birthday dinner, held at a nice steakhouse. Excellent filet and mushrooms, and my family is just amazing.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Watching this magnificent piece of art by Lil Nas that gives a big middle finger to all the assholes who told him to go to hell for being gay:

Hell is gonna be one hell of a party!  Girl_devil
"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
The following 2 users Like Nursey's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Joods

I got the severe pain in my knee/thigh somewhat under control.

[/end of high point] 

I was getting some stuff from my storage unit, I was holding something heavy (25 lbs.), and turned to go put it on the cart.  My foot didn't turn, but my leg did. Shock
So I've had debilitating deep mid-thigh pain for a couple of days. I got a good night's sleep last night and took it easy today, and took some pain meds.  It's now down to a painful ache, getting less as the hours go by.

I see the orthopædic surgeon Monday and I'm pretty sure orthopædic surgery is in my near future.
  • Best case scenario: Repair tendons/ligaments or add some other reinforcement.
  • Worst case scenario: Amputation.
  • Likely scenario: New knee arthroplasty (replace existing worn out knee).
I'm concerned about a pretty major procedure and recovery at my age; I'll be 71 in 5 weeks.  My last knee replacement was in 2003 and it was no picnic.  Each time they've replaced bone or joint, I've lost some leg length.  Having legs that differ in length by nearly an inch complicates one's life in many ways - back problems, hip problems, tailoring jeans/trousers, and having shoes altered. It's about $45 to build up a shoe heel and you have to start with a well-built shoe $$$.

Well, c'est la vie.  I try not to dwell on fears of the future - the future is, for all practical purposes, infinite and unpredictable.

If you haven't seen it before, my leg looks like:

Show ContentSpoiler:
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis

(03-31-2021, 04:09 AM)Chas Wrote: I got the severe pain in my knee/thigh somewhat under control.

[/end of high point] 

I was getting some stuff from my storage unit, I was holding something heavy (25 lbs.), and turned to go put it on the cart.  My foot didn't turn, but my leg did. Shock
So I've had debilitating deep mid-thigh pain for a couple of days. I got a good night's sleep last night and took it easy today, and took some pain meds.  It's now down to a painful ache, getting less as the hours go by.

I see the orthopædic surgeon Monday and I'm pretty sure orthopædic surgery is in my near future.
I'm concerned about a pretty major procedure and recovery at my age; I'll be 71 in 5 weeks.  My last knee replacement was in 2003 and it was no picnic.  Each time they've replaced bone or joint, I've lost some leg length.  Having legs that differ in length by nearly an inch complicates one's life in many ways - back problems, hip problems, tailoring jeans/trousers, and having shoes altered. It's about $45 to build up a shoe heel and you have to start with a well-built shoe $$$.

Well, c'est la vie.  I try not to dwell on fears of the future - the future is, for all practical purposes, infinite and unpredictable.

Show ContentSpoiler:

It could just be a torn medial meniscus.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...c-20354818
Don't borrow trouble until they tell you.
And BTW, you're a youngin in the ortho office. They do total joint replacements on 90 year olds.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Chas, GenesisNemesis

Fitting in certain clothes again.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • Joods, GenesisNemesis

I got vaccinated today. And my arm hasn't fallen off.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Fireball, Aliza, GenesisNemesis

I'm 10 minutes into a new day. Thinking it may be better.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Gloom, despair, and agony on me. The day brings nothing but bad tidings.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I got to wake up next to the love of my life.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Chas, GenesisNemesis

(03-31-2021, 04:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 04:09 AM)Chas Wrote: I got the severe pain in my knee/thigh somewhat under control.

[/end of high point] 

Show ContentSpoiler:

It could just be a torn medial meniscus.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...c-20354818
Don't borrow trouble until they tell you.

For a second there, I was "Hmmm...maybe..." Then remembered, I don't have any menisci. Or nerves. Just metal and polyethylene. Consider

Quote:And BTW, you're a youngin in the ortho office. They do total joint replacements on 90 year olds.

I was a youngin' when I started this in 1984. Weeping
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Joods

Figured out how to knit in two colours without getting the two skeins of yarn tangled up like I usually do.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Girl scout cookie push. Maybe COVID NSFW. Flip a coin. Do a straw poll. An Iowa-style caucus, even.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-03-2021, 05:33 AM)c172 Wrote: Girl scout cookie push. Maybe COVID NSFW. Flip a coin. Do a straw poll. An Iowa-style caucus, even.

Shhh. Everyone forgot about Iowa. You're supposed to forget about Iowa. Move along. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

I done gone voted, in the cold, rain and the pandemic. A rather futile exercise, as we're gonna be electing the same bone stupid idiot (with the added benefit of a new vulgar, disgusting creature) but life in general is futile anyway, so what the hey.

[Image: giphy-downsized-medium.gif]
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(04-03-2021, 06:20 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 05:33 AM)c172 Wrote: Girl scout cookie push. Maybe COVID NSFW. Flip a coin. Do a straw poll. An Iowa-style caucus, even.

Shhh. Everyone forgot about Iowa. You're supposed to forget about Iowa. Move along. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Don't tell @Joods .
Is this sig thing on?
The following 2 users Like c172's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Joods

Surprisingly enough, the party I voted for seems to be doing much better than I expected it to (nowhere near the idiots at the top but that's hardly surprising)... though for a second I thought it wasn't even in (they've changed their name slightly and there are several parties with similar names and I got confused for a sec hobo *Not* when I voted of course, I knew the number then Big Grin )
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • GenesisNemesis