Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Laura

Hurricane Laura
Well, Hurricane Laura is about to hit, and it is a strong hurricane, category 4.  Here in Houston, it looks like we will miss the worse of it, but is going to rain and get windy.  But Louisiana is going to get hit hard.  It is going to be a mess there afterwards.  On top on the covid-19 disaster, lost jobs, and everything else.  It is going to be interesting to see how Trump and crew handle all of this, just before an election.  Maybe he can throw out some paper towels at a Louisiana photo op.  The second storm, Marcos already pooped out and came ashore, so at least we don't have to worry about Marcos anymore.

Meanwhile, life is going to be hard on the raccoons and possums along the Gulf Coast. 

See you all on the other side of this.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • brewerb, SYZ, Cavebear

Hurricane Laura
Hit the high ground. . It's supposed to hit north of you, hopefully the predicted powerful surge doesn't get down to you. Looks like Jerry, our other Houstonian, is hunkered down.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat

Hurricane Laura
[Image: ZdBVOyJ.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Hurricane Laura
(08-27-2020, 10:56 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: ZdBVOyJ.jpg]

"Obama did nothing to prevent hurricane Laura. We inherited empty shelves. God is punishing us for electing a (bleep) president." - Anyone on right wing hate radio.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 3 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Gwaithmir, Dom

Hurricane Laura
Trump is doing his best to ignore it and focus on the convention. He's hardly mentioned it.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Hurricane Laura
Fuckface will blame Biden and Hillary's emails.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Hurricane Laura
He won't even bother with Dubya's helicopter flyover after Katrina.

That's because he doesn't care.
On hiatus.

Hurricane Laura
Well, it is over here. We had no high winds, no big rains, the local bayou did not over flow it's banks. No dead raccoons washed up in the front yard. The sun is shining, the birds are twittering, the moron boom box cars are out driving on the dry streets, disturbing the peace.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Bcat

Hurricane Laura
(08-27-2020, 09:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: He won't even bother with Dubya's helicopter flyover after Katrina.

He'd care if one of his fucking golf courses was under water.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Bcat

Hurricane Laura
(08-27-2020, 10:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 09:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: He won't even bother with Dubya's helicopter flyover after Katrina.

Physically, yes. Financially? Not so much.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Hurricane Laura

He went to visit the FEMA office, a few blocks away, today. 
He really cares.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 01:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

He really cares.

Wait until the announcement comes out about funding before you counts your chickens! Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball

Hurricane Laura
(08-27-2020, 10:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

Charlie don't surf, and Lousyannans don't golf. No helo for you!
On hiatus.

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 01:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:

He really cares.

Is that the same FEMA he recently stripped of funds in order to cover McConnell's ass in the new relief-bill deadlock? That FEMA?

No one has ever cared in history like he cares.
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball, Chas, Cheerful Charlie, Bucky Ball, Dancefortwo, skyking

Hurricane Laura
No electricity here in my parish for over 24 hours. As far as I can gather, at least three substations were knocked out. 

My house has minor damage from the wind, but nothing I can't fix. The meat in my freezer is starting to thaw, though.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat, Cheerful Charlie, skyking

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 02:20 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: No electricity here in my parish for over 24 hours. As far as I can gather, at least three substations were knocked out. 

My house has minor damage from the wind, but nothing I can't fix. The meat in my freezer is starting to thaw, though.

Barbecue at Marsh's house, y'all!

Hang in there, bud. Are you near the burning chlorine plant?
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Old Man Marsh, LastPoet

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 06:17 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 02:20 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: No electricity here in my parish for over 24 hours. As far as I can gather, at least three substations were knocked out. 

Barbecue at Marsh's house, y'all!

Hang in there, bud. Are you near the burning chlorine plant?

No, this is the first time I'm hearing about it.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 06:48 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: No, this is the first time I'm hearing about it.

Quote:WESTLAKE, La. (KPLC) - Crews now have the fire smoldering at a chemical plant in Westlake in the aftermath of Hurricane Laura.

StateTrooper Derek Senegal said crews are spraying water on the chlorine link at BioLab to dilute the chemical and keep it from a reaction.

Senegal says a precautionary shelter in place continues within one mile of the plant.

I-10 is shut down as a precautionary measure. All traffic is being diverted to 210.

The leak at BioLab, which is just south of I-10, is causing smoke to roll north across the interstate.

The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality was informed of a fire and possible release of chlorine gas at Bio-Lab in Westlake at 9 a.m. Thursday morning.

LDEQ responders on are on-site and have begun air monitoring. LDEQ responders will continue to monitor at strategic locations.

The Lake Charles Fire Department is at the scene. EPA personnel are assisting with the response and EPA is sending a monitoring aircraft to do a flyover

Bio-Lab manufactures chlorine for swimming pools.

https://www.kplctv.com/2020/08/27/fire-c...-westlake/

IIRC, chlorine was the first poison gas used in WWI.
On hiatus.
  • Old Man Marsh

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 07:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 06:48 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: No, this is the first time I'm hearing about it.

Quote:WESTLAKE, La. (KPLC) - Crews now have the fire smoldering at a chemical plant in Westlake in the aftermath of Hurricane Laura.

StateTrooper Derek Senegal said crews are spraying water on the chlorine link at BioLab to dilute the chemical and keep it from a reaction.

Senegal says a precautionary shelter in place continues within one mile of the plant.

I-10 is shut down as a precautionary measure. All traffic is being diverted to 210.

The leak at BioLab, which is just south of I-10, is causing smoke to roll north across the interstate.

The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality was informed of a fire and possible release of chlorine gas at Bio-Lab in Westlake at 9 a.m. Thursday morning.

LDEQ responders on are on-site and have begun air monitoring. LDEQ responders will continue to monitor at strategic locations.

The Lake Charles Fire Department is at the scene. EPA personnel are assisting with the response and EPA is sending a monitoring aircraft to do a flyover

Bio-Lab manufactures chlorine for swimming pools.

https://www.kplctv.com/2020/08/27/fire-c...-westlake/

IIRC, chlorine was the first poison gas used in WWI.

Holy shit...glad I'm on the other end of the state for once.

...and you were right about the BBQ. I had to do lunch and supper on the grill.

I'm probably going to have to fry eggs on it in the morning, too.

ETA: The power plant that supplies this general area needs major repairs. We may be out of juice for a few days.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Hurricane Laura
(08-28-2020, 11:35 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: Holy shit...glad I'm on the other end of the state for once.

...and you were right about the BBQ. I had to do lunch and supper on the grill.

I'm probably going to have to fry eggs on it in the morning, too.

ETA: The power plant that supplies this general area needs major repairs. We may be out of juice for a few days.

You have a generator? How're you set for charcoal and/or wood for the grill? Stay safe, brotha.
On hiatus.

Hurricane Laura
Okay my hurricane drama, such as it was, is over.  No doubt the many thoughts and prayers from the forum helped me along.  I did sustain major wind damage- my Trump 2020 bumper sticker was partially torn from my car.  Thinking of starting a GoFuckMe campaign to cover the losses incurred.  Seriously though, no losses except some freezer meat that’s now so rancid not ever Joe Biden wants to sniff it.

So we live near the border of Tx and La so that was close to the projected path, we were basically planning for a worst case scenario of having broken windows and water damage so prep consisted of getting things up high in shelves and closets and then being ready to zip out of there.  Then on Wed afternoon the thing was reported as strengthening from a 4 to a near 5 and then your whole mindset changes and instead of planning for being out of the house for 3 or 4 days you’re thinking, I’m going to come home to a pile of sticks, so now I need to pile everything I possibly can into the cars because we may be starting everything over, no clothes, no nothing.  Can of WD-40?  Ball of old string?  Pair of pliers?  Fuck yeah, throw it in the trunk, I’m going to need that shit someday!  Long story short, we ended up on the “good” side of it and came home the next day, power restored after a couple more days.  Lots of misery in the area, especially in Louisiana.  Rounding up clothing and things to give away as a lot of people have lost everything.

I probably should invest in a generator, but can’t decide if I want to.  Overall, the occasion to need one is rare…but probably good to have on those occasions.
The following 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Bcat, Thumpalumpacus, Old Man Marsh

Hurricane Laura
(08-29-2020, 08:10 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Okay my hurricane drama, such as it was, is over.  No doubt the many thoughts and prayers from the forum helped me along.  I did sustain major wind damage- my Trump 2020 bumper sticker was partially torn from my car.  Thinking of starting a GoFuckMe campaign to cover the losses incurred.  Seriously though, no losses except some freezer meat that’s now so rancid not ever Joe Biden wants to sniff it.

So we live near the border of Tx and La so that was close to the projected path, we were basically planning for a worst case scenario of having broken windows and water damage so prep consisted of getting things up high in shelves and closets and then being ready to zip out of there.  Then on Wed afternoon the thing was reported as strengthening from a 4 to a near 5 and then your whole mindset changes and instead of planning for being out of the house for 3 or 4 days you’re thinking, I’m going to come home to a pile of sticks, so now I need to pile everything I possibly can into the cars because we may be starting everything over, no clothes, no nothing.  Can of WD-40?  Ball of old string?  Pair of pliers?  Fuck yeah, throw it in the trunk, I’m going to need that shit someday!  Long story short, we ended up on the “good” side of it and came home the next day, power restored after a couple more days.  Lots of misery in the area, especially in Louisiana.  Rounding up clothing and things to give away as a lot of people have lost everything.

I probably should invest in a generator, but can’t decide if I want to.  Overall, the occasion to need one is rare…but probably good to have on those occasions.

Glad you and your family are okay  Hug
The following 1 user Likes Bcat's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Hurricane Laura
Figures he's in Louisiana.  Had that smell about him!

This, however, is just not fair.

The poor bastards get flattened by a hurricane and then they have to suffer through a big Orange Gas Bag coming to town?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/us/lo...ators.html

Quote:During a meeting with John Bel Edwards, the state’s Democratic governor, and several other officials, Mr. Trump said it was important to visit Louisiana because it had been “a tremendous state for me.”

And as always the self-aggrandizing piece of shit has to make everything about himself.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Hurricane Laura
(08-29-2020, 08:10 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Okay my hurricane drama, such as it was, is over.  No doubt the many thoughts and prayers from the forum helped me along.  I did sustain major wind damage- my Trump 2020 bumper sticker was partially torn from my car.  Thinking of starting a GoFuckMe campaign to cover the losses incurred.  Seriously though, no losses except some freezer meat that’s now so rancid not ever Joe Biden wants to sniff it.

Invest in one. If for some reason you can't bail, it'll come in handy, and it'll also be useful for other outages not related to 'canes.

On the other hand, don't worry about the WD-40 or string. Trust your inner MacGyver and roll with what's important. Canned foods, spare changes of undies, a couple of old Playboys if your internet goes down, that sort of thing.

Glad you made it through okay. Stay alert and beef up the stuff you might have found lacking this time out.
On hiatus.
  • Old Man Marsh

Hurricane Laura
(08-27-2020, 06:38 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Well, Hurricane Laura is about to hit, and it is a strong hurricane, category 4.  Here in Houston, it looks like we will miss the worse of it, but is going to rain and get windy.  But Louisiana is going to get hit hard.  It is going to be a mess there afterwards.  On top on the covid-19 disaster, lost jobs, and everything else.  It is going to be interesting to see how Trump and crew handle all of this, just before an election.  Maybe he can throw out some paper towels at a Louisiana photo op.  The second storm, Marcos already pooped out and came ashore, so at least we don't have to worry about Marcos anymore.

Meanwhile, life is going to be hard on the raccoons and possums along the Gulf Coast. 

See you all on the other side of this.

May the raccoons find plenty of washed-up crawdads and stay free of the gators! I don't know much about possums...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!