Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it mean to be a citizen?

To me it is the right to vote, to exercise my education. It os also my duty to promote education to others specially children. It is obvious its relation to ethics as one can't exist without the other..

A citizen isn't a right, its a basket of responsabilities, of duties. The usual approach is that being a citizen is all about rights. The right to have guns, the right to not wear masks, the right to piss and shit all over each other. I have a different take on this. 

Sure I have rights, but I also have responsabilities as a citizen. So, I ask of you, your take on citizenship?
The following 2 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • Aliza, Thumpalumpacus

It merely means having citizenship. When one piss on alleged citizen duties one still is citizen, otherwise it would be a concept too similar to exclusionary rhetoric of nationalists who deny people nationality for some imagined infractions. To illustrate - according to nationalists I am not Pole as I am not catholic. However my birth certificate state quite clearly that I am Pole and no bullshit distinctions can change this. Similarly I am citizen by virtue of birth, nothing else.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus, Bcat

You're a watch.

[Image: OIP.FUCxs2jKj3367cxkaqgsrAHaCy?pid=Api&rs=1]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • SYZ, Fireball, Dānu

I think a citizen should give back to society so long as they're able to do so. Some people won't be able to contribute for whatever reason, but everyone else should make an earnest effort.
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • LastPoet, Fireball

Citizenship is largely a matter of being born at a specific geographical location.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Little Lunch, Thumpalumpacus, Bcat, Szuchow

(08-19-2020, 07:25 PM)Szuchow Wrote: It merely means having citizenship. When one piss on alleged citizen duties one still is citizen, otherwise it would be a concept too similar to exclusionary rhetoric of nationalists who deny people nationality for some imagined infractions. To illustrate - according to nationalists I am not Pole as I am not catholic. However my birth certificate state quite clearly that I am Pole and no bullshit distinctions can change this. Similarly I am citizen by virtue of birth, nothing else.

It should mean a little more, but if you are satisfied with that, who am I to challenge you on that?

(08-19-2020, 07:18 PM)LastPoet Wrote: So, I ask of you, your take on citizenship?

My take is 'overall responsibility for society'. Being a citizen of a country is like being the resident of a house. It's yours to ruin or neglect or maintain or improve.
"The advantage of faith over reason, is that reason requires understanding. Which usually requires education; resources of time and money. 
Religion needs none of that. - It empowers the lowliest idiot to pretend that he is wiser than the wise, ignoring all the indications otherwise "
 - A. Ra
The following 2 users Like M.Linoge's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, LastPoet

I'm happy with the Wiki definition:

"Citizenship is the status of a person recognised under the custom or law of
a sovereign state as a member of or belonging to the state. Each state is free
to determine the conditions under which it will recognize persons as its citizens,
and the conditions under which that status will be withdrawn. Recognition by a
state as a citizen generally carries with it recognition of civil, political, and social
rights which are not afforded to non-citizens."
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Alan V

Yeah, I'll go with the dictionary def. But having said that, I really do enjoy voting. It's a way to show I care (if mainly about me).
Is this sig thing on?

I earned my citizenship.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bcat, skyking

(08-19-2020, 07:18 PM)LastPoet Wrote: To me it is the right to vote, to exercise my education. It os also my duty to promote education to others specially children. It is obvious its relation to ethics as one can't exist without the other..

A citizen isn't a right, its a basket of responsabilities, of duties. The usual approach is that being a citizen is all about rights. The right to have guns, the right to not wear masks, the right to piss and shit all over each other. I have a different take on this. 

Sure I have rights, but I also have responsabilities as a citizen. So, I ask of you, your take on citizenship?

I have a duty to support the Constitution. I have a duty to pay taxes. I have a duty to help improve rather than destroy my country.

I am happy to pursue those duties, given the benefits I've garnered and will continue to exercise as a citizen. Rights are not rights if they can take 'em away; so said Carlin, and I believe him absolutely correct. So one of my duties is to ensure that not only I, but all other Americans, may enjoy those same "rights".

"Rights aren't rights if someone can take 'em away." I see our primary duty as citizens to defend those rights we have against government organs which continually work to erode them.

I appreciate the rights ensconced in the Constitution, but they ain't free, and are paid for not only by the blood of the soldiers who fought for them, but also by our continued vigilance.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, M.Linoge, skyking

(08-20-2020, 12:11 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I earned my citizenship.

You're goddamned straight. Sweat equity.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Bcat, skyking

(08-19-2020, 08:25 PM)LastPoet Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 07:25 PM)Szuchow Wrote: It merely means having citizenship. When one piss on alleged citizen duties one still is citizen, otherwise it would be a concept too similar to exclusionary rhetoric of nationalists who deny people nationality for some imagined infractions. To illustrate - according to nationalists I am not Pole as I am not catholic. However my birth certificate state quite clearly that I am Pole and no bullshit distinctions can change this. Similarly I am citizen by virtue of birth, nothing else.

It should mean a little more, but if you are satisfied with that, who am I to challenge you on that?

I don't think that it should mean more. As far as I am concerned citizenship have nothing to do with one actions, only with where mother of person x gave birth.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Bcat

Szuchow Wrote: I don't think that it should mean more. As far as I am concerned citizenship have nothing to do with one actions, only with where mother of person x gave birth.

I have to disagree. Being a citizen also encompasses caring for other citizens. One can not live as a citizen when others via birthright shit and piss all over. A citizen should look at others and build a better world. If you look at citizenship as a place where your mother shoot you off, then, you are working under bad premisses.

(08-20-2020, 03:42 PM)LastPoet Wrote:
Szuchow Wrote: I don't think that it should mean more. As far as I am concerned citizenship have nothing to do with one actions, only with where mother of person x gave birth.

I have to disagree. Being a citizen also encompasses caring for other citizens. One can not live as a citizen when others via birthright shit and piss all over. A citizen should look at others and build a better world. If you look at citizenship as a place where your mother shoot you off, then, you are working under bad premisses.

I think it is you who labor under some misconception in regards to nature of citizenship.  It isn't suggestion to care about other citizens, nor it is some sort of moral obligation toward state or society. It's merely result of being born in country x.

Socrates.

(08-20-2020, 03:50 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 03:42 PM)LastPoet Wrote:

I think it is you who labor under some misconception in regards to nature of citizenship.  It isn't suggestion to care about other citizens, nor it is some sort of moral obligation toward state or society. It's merely result of being born in country x.

If that is what you think. I think it is a bit more, in a world that mingles around in aircraft that transport people side to side. Some bad some good. Heh, just talking. I wonder why citizenship isn't taugh in school.

It isn't the place you are by birthright, it is a duty as a human being. From space you see no borders, except the seas ofc.

(08-20-2020, 04:07 PM)LastPoet Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 03:42 PM)LastPoet Wrote: I have to disagree. Being a citizen also encompasses caring for other citizens. One can not live as a citizen when others via birthright shit and piss all over. A citizen should look at others and build a better world. If you look at citizenship as a place where your mother shoot you off, then, you are working under bad premisses.

If that is what you think. I think it is a bit more, in a world that mingles around in aircraft that transport people side to side. Some bad some good. Heh, just talking. I wonder why citizenship isn't taugh in school.

It isn't the place you are by birthright, it is a duty as a human being. From space you see no borders, except the seas ofc.

I may not be able to see borders from space but this does not mean that citizenship transforms from mere formality to duty.

Socrates.

(08-20-2020, 04:07 PM)LastPoet Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 03:42 PM)LastPoet Wrote: I have to disagree. Being a citizen also encompasses caring for other citizens. One can not live as a citizen when others via birthright shit and piss all over. A citizen should look at others and build a better world. If you look at citizenship as a place where your mother shoot you off, then, you are working under bad premisses.

Citizenship is most definitely taught in American schools.
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • LastPoet

(08-20-2020, 04:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I may not be able to see borders from space but this does not mean that citizenship transforms from mere formality to duty.

I think you're both right, in your own ways. I owe no allegiance to America, except for the oath I swore of free will, rather than birthright citizenship. However, I do think I have an obligation to help those around me, and that is best obtained by using the perks of citizenship to vote, protest, and otherwise stand up for those not so fortunate as I am.

From a song, long ago:

Better the pride that resides
in a citizen of the world
than the pride that divides
when a colorful rag is unfurled.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • LastPoet

So much hyperfocus on single characteristics.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Citizenship is not the same as mere residency or geographical presence. However, it should be easily gained by intent to live in a place and be "of that country". It shouldn't be something denied to anyone who intends to live in a place and become a member of that society.

I hope this isn't some oblique intent to deny voting rights or general governmental support for new arrivals.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Ideally: pay your taxes, vote, obey good laws and work to change the bad laws while accepting consequences of civil disobedience, contribute to your community somehow, be trustworthy.  

In practice, the minimums: pay your taxes, vote.
god, ugh

(08-20-2020, 08:15 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 04:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote: I may not be able to see borders from space but this does not mean that citizenship transforms from mere formality to duty.

I think you're both right, in your own ways. I owe no allegiance to America, except for the oath I swore of free will, rather than birthright citizenship. However, I do think I have an obligation to help those around me, and that is best obtained by using the perks of citizenship to vote, protest, and otherwise stand up for those not so fortunate as I am.

From a song, long ago:

Better the pride that resides
in a citizen of the world
than the pride that divides
when a colorful rag is unfurled.

I do think that people should help each other but I don't see citizenship being tied to it in any way.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, skyking

Yes, I agree with that. It is part of being human, our humanity. Nothing about lines on a map.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Szuchow

(08-20-2020, 03:42 PM)LastPoet Wrote: I have to disagree. Being a citizen also encompasses caring for other citizens. One can not live as a citizen when others via birthright shit and piss all over. A citizen should look at others and build a better world. If you look at citizenship as a place where your mother shoot you off, then, you are working under bad premises.

Not so. A child born overseas is registered as an Australian citizen by descent
if the biological parents are Australian citizens at the time of the child's birth.

If I'm working in Japan, and we have a baby there, that child doesn't magically
become a Japanese citizen LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.