Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raccoons, smart little rascals!

(08-06-2020, 09:09 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:37 PM)brewerb Wrote: Some animals not matter how cute and smart are meant to be wild.

Says the guy with domesticated wolf descendants. Big Grin 

I'll be the first to admit that our breed is not for beginners.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

endangeredwolfcenter.org
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(08-06-2020, 09:05 PM)Dom Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:37 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 01:40 PM)Dom Wrote: Wild, adult raccoons are not your friend. They defend themselves vigorously when they feel threatened.

Raccoons you befriend and treat in a non-threatening way will become your friends, and even defend you like a dog would.

Raccoons raised like a pet will act like a mix between a cat and a dog, and be very loyal to you.

If you're talking about befriending (routinely feeding?) or raising a wild raccoon (from what ever age) I completely disagree. If someone wants to by a kit from a breeder that may be a different story. I've never encountered one.

Some animals not matter how cute and smart are meant to be wild.

I don't believe in feeding wild animals regularly - just because it will make them dependent on you and that's not a good thing. They need to be able and used to fending for themselves. 

For instance, I stop feeding hummingbirds when the babies fledge - the parents need to teach them about how to drink from flowers, and which ones. Otherwise they get dependent on people putting out feeders, and people move or die or whatever.

I don't think there are raccoon breeders, but if you live in the country long enough, you will encounter orphans and there I see nothing wrong with adopting them. Racoons and skunks are both very suitable as pets, versus wild cats or coyotes or something. Animals have different qualities, and some adjust with ease to life as a pet, while others remain untrustworthy. 

Both raccoons and skunks are very peaceful in nature, they only defend themselves if needed, they don't attack (unless you are small prey in the case of the raccoon.) Racoons have the same prey drive as dogs and cats. 

If I were a raccoon and another predator many times my size would show up all of a sudden, I would most certainly defend myself, too. That is not a contradiction to their peace loving, social, playful nature.

Orphans should be turned over to the proper wild life authorities for care and release.

I don't remember our (collectively-not all were mine) pet dogs and cats killing chickens, ducks, rabbits, kittens, ...........

Or transmitting disease: https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/...coon.shtml

You and I know very different raccoons.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(08-06-2020, 11:12 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 09:05 PM)Dom Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:37 PM)brewerb Wrote: If you're talking about befriending (routinely feeding?) or raising a wild raccoon (from what ever age) I completely disagree. If someone wants to by a kit from a breeder that may be a different story. I've never encountered one.

Some animals not matter how cute and smart are meant to be wild.

I don't believe in feeding wild animals regularly - just because it will make them dependent on you and that's not a good thing. They need to be able and used to fending for themselves. 

For instance, I stop feeding hummingbirds when the babies fledge - the parents need to teach them about how to drink from flowers, and which ones. Otherwise they get dependent on people putting out feeders, and people move or die or whatever.

I don't think there are raccoon breeders, but if you live in the country long enough, you will encounter orphans and there I see nothing wrong with adopting them. Racoons and skunks are both very suitable as pets, versus wild cats or coyotes or something. Animals have different qualities, and some adjust with ease to life as a pet, while others remain untrustworthy. 

Both raccoons and skunks are very peaceful in nature, they only defend themselves if needed, they don't attack (unless you are small prey in the case of the raccoon.) Racoons have the same prey drive as dogs and cats. 

If I were a raccoon and another predator many times my size would show up all of a sudden, I would most certainly defend myself, too. That is not a contradiction to their peace loving, social, playful nature.

Orphans should be turned over to the proper wild life authorities for care and release.

I don't remember our (collectively-not all were mine) pet dogs and cats killing chickens, ducks, rabbits, kittens, ...........

Or transmitting disease: https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/...coon.shtml

You and I know very different raccoons.

Yep, raccoons will hunt for food, like I mentioned earlier, they ate my chickens.

Dogs will do the same if hungry and left to their own devices.  

People will too.

And yes, if you adopt any animal, you need to take it to the vet to be checked, be it a raccoon or cat or dog or giraffe. 

You know wild raccoons, I know wild racoons as well as tame ones. 

Just like feral cats are for the most part unable to adjust to life in a household, so are any other adult wild animals.

And just like other animals, when imprinted with humans as pack members, raccoons will consider themselves as human and behave like the animal version of a human, limited by intelligence. Raccoons happen to be smart little rascals, as the thread title says.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir

rascals = highly adaptable opportunists
The following 5 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, Fireball, brewerb, Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo

The only time I've seen 'coons up close and personal has been when one was trapped trying to raid Kevin's garden. Being trapped, they were, understandably, little twats.

In SoCal, I had a couple who'd use my back yard to get to a dumpster not far away. They didn't want trouble, they just wanted cheap food.
On hiatus.