Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious debate must be another casualty of Covid

Not that I really miss it, because it's usually futile. But it seems like all the theological discussion and even the drive-by posting by theist trolls has almost completely dried up now that we're all preoccupied with surviving Trump and the pandemic. Post volume in this sub-forum is WAY down.

I kind of miss those quaint times a few months ago when most of the action was in Atheism & Theism and not politics and world events. Granted, the epic mythicist vs historicist debate had organically wore itself out, and that accounted for a lot of posting traffic for a long time.

It is also of note, though, in my view, that none of the unbelievers here are wringing their hands and worrying about their eternal souls, despite considerable concern about their temporal bodies. I wonder if visiting theists, not seeing the angst and thirst for salvation they expect world events would produce in us, think discretion the better part of valor and have decided it's too discouraging to try to get a rise out of us.

Or maybe it is the same for them as for us -- they are just too busy worrying about survival to think about obtuse existential matters. And yet ... given how many of them are conspiracy theorists who think the pandemic is a deep state plot to deny them church fellowship ... you'd think there'd be the obligatory weekly nutjob on at least a MONTHLY basis. I mean, it's not sporting anymore. No chew toys!
The following 6 users Like mordant's post:
  • Aroura, Inkubus, brunumb, RobbyPants, Dom, Paleophyte

I have not seen many drive-bys here, though I rarely dabble in the religious forums.

I stopped seeing the point about ten years ago, on another forum, anyway.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

Target practice, Thump.  Target practice.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • mordant

It is nice to have the occasional war with a theist just to remind us what we at least have in common.
The following 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • mordant, Gwaithmir, RobbyPants

(07-16-2020, 12:14 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Target practice, Thump.  Target practice.

It's all good, younger atheists will discover arguments they perhaps haven't considered ... but it's a pretty big blimp, seems to me.
On hiatus.

AD was not and is not a really busy forum. Some forums are hot and lively. Bob Seidensticker's Cross Examined, and Jonathan Pearce at A Tippling Philosopher. Roll to Disbelief, Captain Cassidy's blog is very busy. There is apparently a tipping point, which AD has never reached to become popular. People drift off to where the action is, with knowledgeable posters. And of course we have Reddit and other social network sites that are really heavily trafficked. Sites where Disqus are used to access these sites seem to do well, despite the brokeness that is Disqus.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • mordant

For me, I'd largely lost interest in the topic four or five years ago. I posted in that section of TTA heavily the first two years I was a member. Then, it just felt like every debate was a rehash of debates I'd already had several times.

Although, I do feel my counter-apologetics are seriously rusty. Consider

I've been debating atheism versus theism online since the end of 2006, starting in the now defunct Amazon forums.

Perhaps many people now have access to the basic information we might provide.

Eh.  Just give it a few more months or maybe a year until the virus is contained or we have a vaccine.  Then we'll get a flood of people in here demanding to know how we can still be atheists after God clearly saved us from the plague.
"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - Isaac Asimov
The following 4 users Like Reltzik's post:
  • Minimalist, Fireball, mordant, Paleophyte

I enjoy it when it's with an educated, intelligent theist. But I've developed a handful of definitive counter-arguments over the past few years, and it's my preference not to share them with clueless twats, so I debate less than I used to do. Even if it's rather repetitive, it's stimulating mental exercise. Both religion and philosophy are two of my favorite topics, so I'm always interested in learning new things and new approaches from well-educated theists. Saves me having to do a lot of reading. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Alan V