Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
On This Day In History

On This Day In History
Unfortunately I wasn't able to take that road or climb the moldoveanu.
R.I.P. Hannes

On This Day In History
(07-10-2020, 07:46 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 02:41 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: On a sidenote: When i was in Sibiu/Hermannstadt in Romania, in Transylvania, just north of the carpathians highest peaks, a palace of the local governor was nearby. The Brukenthal Palace. Brukenthal was an austrian governor under Maria Theresia, since Transylvania was an austrian province by then.

Sibiu is a fantastic place, near the Transfagarasan (Greatest Road on Earth).
Of course there was always the feeling we were being watched...

[Image: DSC_0515.jpg?format=1500w]
[Image: shutterstock_1415885234-800x450.jpg]
[Image: Piata_Mare_din_Sibiu02.JPG]

Typical austro/hungarian imperial architecture of the 19th century. You find it from Sibu in the Southeast to Lwiw in Western Ukraine. As an austrian you instantly feel at home when visiting the old parts of these cities.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Deesse23

On This Day In History
July 14, 1789 - Storming of the Bastille - Beginning of the French Revolution.

Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

On This Day In History
Communism came to Bulgaria, unleashed a blood bath and refused to leave for 45 years.

"The date of the communist coup – 9 September 1944 – was a signal for revenge and the start of blood-drenched Bacchanalia on the territory of the entire country. The victims of the class wrath were not only politicians, businessmen, lawyers, civil servants, police and army officers. The self-proclaimed “people’s revengers” attacked the Bulgarian intellectuals with the same zealousness: teachers, priests, journalists, writers, editors, artists, professors, lecturers and all kinds of people of the pen, of culture and of the spirit perished without trial or sentence in the cities, little towns and villages. It would be logical to ask ourselves why was the country’s cultural elite branded and persecuted as the most dangerous “enemy of the people”?

The indictment produced by the Sixth Panel of the so-called “People’s Tribunal” attached the following qualifications to the cultural elite: “career-seeking intelligentsia that had lost its touch with the people”, “public evil that needs to be cut out so that it would not contaminate the public organism”, “mercenaries of the pen and of speech”, “instigators and collaborationists” of the persons responsible for the national catastrophe, etc. The answer is very well known: propped on the bayonets of the occupiers, the communist upper crust followed the example of the Bolshevik revolution of 1917-1921. Without choosing its means, it showed determination to deprive the nation of the voice of free speech, and – as it proclaimed itself – “to cut the democratic values from the public organism”, to obliterate the notions of democracy, freedom and fatherland from public space, the carrier of these notions being the patriotic intelligentsia."

As always, the perfect illustration - the monument of our "liberators", the great soviet army... with their hands painted red.

[Image: 21462891_1440311822729083_61148810221842...e=615FD965]

(also, can we sticky this? Like, to have a general "this day in history" thread, as there seem to be several separate ones, each for a specific date. A general one for anything people might want to mention sounds like a good idea, imo)
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 7 users Like Vera's post:
  • Cavebear, Gawdzilla Sama, Inkubus, Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo, Kim

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 12:18 PM)Vera Wrote: Communism came to Bulgaria, unleashed a blood bath and refused to leave for 45 years.

There is never a date where something bad didn't happen.  

But some good too...

"1776 Congress officially renames the country as the United States of America (from the United Colonies)".

"1817 Alexander Twilight, probably first African American to graduate from a US college, receives BA degree at Middlebury College".
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Vera

On This Day In History
Battle of the Bzura started on this day.

It was the largest Polish counter-attack of the German Invasion of Poland, fought between the 9th and 19th of September. The battle took place west of Warsaw, near the Bzura River. It began as a Polish counter-offensive, which gained initial success, but the Germans outflanked the Polish forces with a concentrated counter-attack. This weakened Polish forces and the Poznań and Pomorze Armies were destroyed. Western Poland was now under German rule. The battle has been described as "the bloodiest and most bitter battle of the entire Polish campaign". Winston Churchill called the battle an "ever-glorious struggle".
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Gawdzilla Sama, Vera, Deesse23

On This Day In History
Quote:Winston Churchill called the battle an "ever-glorious struggle".

People who aren't getting shot at frequently talk that way.
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • abaris, Kim

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 03:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Winston Churchill called the battle an "ever-glorious struggle".

People who aren't getting shot at frequently talk that way.
Combat in stinking jungle was preferable to Indiana.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

On This Day In History
I had a cousin who came back from Vietnam and was sent to Ft. Riley, Kansas.

He also said that in some ways he preferred Vietnam to Kansas.

Kansas must really suck.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 01:49 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Battle of the Bzura started on this day.
 Winston Churchill called the battle an "ever-glorious struggle".

Do you have the full quote anywhere?

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 05:20 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:

No. But it don't look like anything more was said.

Socrates.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 05:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:20 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:

It looks like an excerpted phrase from a larger statement, knowing Churchill there's likely to be subtext.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 05:29 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:20 PM)Mr Greene Wrote: Do you have the full quote anywhere?

It looks like an excerpted phrase from a larger statement, knowing Churchill there's likely to be subtext.

Perhaps. Can't say that I care overmuch.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Vera

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 05:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Can't say that I care overmuch.

Really? You do not want more context and further wisdom for this paragon of all that is good and noble about humanity? This colossus of thought and feeling who had such progressive, egalitarian, noble views?
Shame on you, you unworthy, inferior, lower-grade Eastern European, you. But what else can be expected from you Deadpan Coffee Drinker

The Bengal famine? Ah well, they were just Indians, a beastly people who are better off dead.

[Image: 94407aa3e41c63d167db33f10aadeea9.jpg]

Or: "Gandhi should not be released on the account of a mere threat of fasting," Churchill told the cabinet on another occasion. "We should be rid of a bad man and an enemy of the Empire if he died." (and I don't even like Gandhi particularly, he certainly wasn't a saint or a hero either so this is not coming from a place of worshipping admiration on my part)

Or: "I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

But I guess we're missing context here, too.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • Szuchow, Minimalist, Kim, Thumpalumpacus, Deesse23

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 05:55 PM)Vera Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Can't say that I care overmuch.

Really? You do not want more context and further wisdom for this paragon of all that is good and noble about humanity? This colossus of thought and feeling who had such progressive, egalitarian, noble views?
Shame on you, you unworthy, inferior, lower-grade Eastern European, you. But what else can be expected from you Deadpan Coffee Drinker

The Bengal famine? Ah well, they were just Indians, a beastly people who are better off dead.

[Image: 94407aa3e41c63d167db33f10aadeea9.jpg]

Or: "Gandhi should not be released on the account of a mere threat of fasting," Churchill told the cabinet on another occasion. "We should be rid of a bad man and an enemy of the Empire if he died." (and I don't even like Gandhi particularly, he certainly wasn't a saint or a hero either so this is not coming from a place of worshipping admiration on my part)

Or: "I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place."

But I guess we're missing context here, too.

What else can be expected from me?

Nothing much dearest Vera, just typical Eastern European fare I'm afraid. Being drunk and saying that things were better under tsar communism.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Vera, Kim

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 06:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote: What else can be expected from me?

Nothing much dearest Vera, just typical Eastern European fare I'm afraid. Being drunk and saying that things were better under tsar communism.

Ah, wish I could also be drinking (while preparing to invade Western Europe, stealing their jobs *while* living on the dole). Being a woman - an Eastern European woman! - however, I'm too busy being a sexy slut, whose life mission is to find a good, hard-working Western man and spend ALL of his money.

Before I get to be 28 because this is what happens to us:

[Image: SEAiX2v3PC2f2FEQuvMUDxNUdDvUFBLKGxLzH7kF...9ffcd8c1e1]

Many humour, much wit! Wow!
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Szuchow, Kim, Deesse23

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 05:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:29 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:24 PM)Szuchow Wrote: No. But it don't look like anything more was said.

I'm always wary when I see single phrases quoted out of context, particularly when presented by those on the political extremes who have an obvious agenda in promoting misinterpretation and misinformation.
The following 1 user Likes Mr Greene's post:
  • Kim

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 06:14 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:29 PM)Mr Greene Wrote: It looks like an excerpted phrase from a larger statement, knowing Churchill there's likely to be subtext.

I'm always wary when I see single phrases quoted out of context, particularly when presented by those on the political extremes who have an obvious agenda in promoting misinterpretation and misinformation.

So what is my obvious agenda? Dastardly besmirching some long dead english dude by quoting first sentences about famous battle from wikipedia? Or something far more nefarious and insidious as political extremists are known to do?  Thumbsdown

Tinfoil hat will suit you just fine I think.

Socrates.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 06:07 PM)Vera Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:00 PM)Szuchow Wrote: What else can be expected from me?

Ah, wish I could also be drinking (while preparing to invade Western Europe, stealing their jobs *while* living on the dole). Being a woman - an Eastern European woman! - however, I'm too busy being a sexy slut, whose life mission is to find a good, hard-working Western man and spend ALL of his money.

Before I get to be 28 because this is what happens to us:

[Image: SEAiX2v3PC2f2FEQuvMUDxNUdDvUFBLKGxLzH7kF...9ffcd8c1e1]

Many humour, much wit! Wow!

I wish you luck in your endeavor. I'm off to beat my [non-existent] wife while I will listen to the mass and priests preaching love.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Vera

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 06:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:14 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 05:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Perhaps. Can't say that I care overmuch.

So what is my obvious agenda? Dastardly besmirching some long dead english dude by quoting first sentences about famous battle from wikipedia? Or something far more nefarious and insidious as political extremists are known to do?  Thumbsdown

Wasn't accusing you of anything mate, I'm aware you quoted Wikipedia.
I was wondering if you had a link to the full text.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 06:33 PM)Mr Greene Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:17 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 06:14 PM)Mr Greene Wrote: I'm always wary when I see single phrases quoted out of context, particularly when presented by those on the political extremes who have an obvious agenda in promoting misinterpretation and misinformation.

Wasn't accusing you of anything mate, I'm aware you quoted Wikipedia.
I was wondering if you had a link to the full text.

I would say that it looked like you did but if you say differently then I will not argue otherwise.

As I said I don't have it. I don't even know if there is full text to begin with.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Mr Greene, Kim

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 04:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I had a cousin who came back from Vietnam and was sent to Ft. Riley, Kansas.

Kansas must really suck.
The drive from St. Louis to Denver is as boring as all fuck. Four hundred miles of Kansas to the first cold beer is insane.

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 08:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 04:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I had a cousin who came back from Vietnam and was sent to Ft. Riley, Kansas.

Kansas must really suck.
The drive from St. Louis to Denver is as boring as all fuck. Four hundred miles of Kansas to the first cold beer is insane.

St Louis?    Consider  

From St Louis, you'd have to drive all the way through Missouri and then drive through Kansas to get to Denver.  No wonder you were parched.  Shy

Not that I'm trying to stick up for a continuous & varied landscape of undulating & rolling hills but ... I guess I am.   Dunno   I will say, the interstate highway goes through only the most boring parts of the state.

Really though, you can't swing a dead cat in Kansas without hitting a microbrewery or a winery.  

Just think - not much else to do but drink.    Dodgy

On This Day In History
(09-09-2021, 08:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Kansas must really suck.

All he talked about was corn.

As far as the eye could see.

Fucking corn.

On This Day In History
Last time I drove that route Kansas was still dry. State police were arresting flight attendants for serving drinks mid-flight.