Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World's Biggest Shark Has Teeth on Its Eyeballs, Scientists Discover

https://www.newsweek.com/world-biggest-s...ls-1514326

Quote:The biggest sharks in the world have tiny teeth all over their eyeballs, scientists have discovered. In analyzing the eyes of whale sharks, which can reach up to 60 feet in length, researchers found them to be covered in "dermal denticles" that help protect them from damage.

Dermal denticles are known to cover shark skin. They are tiny v-shaped scales that are structurally minute teeth. According to the Smithsonian Institution's Ocean Portal, shark skin is covered in dermal denticles to decrease turbulence and drag, helping them to swim quieter and faster.

In a study published in the journal PLOS One, researchers led by Taketeru Tomita, from the Okinawa Churashima Research Center, Japan, found dermal denticles on the eyes of whale sharks—a filter-feeding species known for its unique spotted patterned skin.

So, now you know.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Is that supposed to be evidence of "intelligent" design?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Is this the original "evil eye" I've heard about for so long?
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

Get back to me when they find eyeball lips.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Dancefortwo

Nobody make any jokes about eye-teeth, kay?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 4 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Mark, Fireball, Dancefortwo

(06-30-2020, 10:10 PM)Dānu Wrote: Nobody make any jokes about eye-teeth, kay?

Why? Self-conscious? Consider
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(06-30-2020, 10:10 PM)Dānu Wrote: Nobody make any jokes about eye-teeth, kay?

Y'already did, I see.  Tongue

I guess it doesn't have eyelids.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Shit, I've got family members that shoot daggers with their eyes. This isn't that impressive.
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, TheGentlemanBastard

(07-01-2020, 03:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Shit, I've got family members that shoot daggers with their eyes. This isn't that impressive.

A friend of mine termed a certain look I occasionally gave as, "the melt." I'm usually pretty light-hearted, but not always.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

(07-01-2020, 03:29 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 03:25 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Shit, I've got family members that shoot daggers with their eyes. This isn't that impressive.

A friend of mine termed a certain look I occasionally gave as, "the melt."  I'm usually pretty light-hearted, but not always.

In our house, it's "The Dad Glare". I'm not that harsh, but when someone is cutting up, I get the look, and when they see it, it's like "Oh, shit", and they settle down.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(07-01-2020, 03:29 AM)Dānu Wrote:

A friend of mine termed a certain look I occasionally gave as, "the melt."  I'm usually pretty light-hearted, but not always.

My dad taught me "the Look". It's somewhere between Clint Eastwood and "that's your ass".

ETA: ninja'ed.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(06-30-2020, 06:29 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.newsweek.com/world-biggest-s...ls-1514326

Quote:In analyzing the eyes of whale sharks, which can reach up to 60 feet in length ...

Lol. Sixty foot eyeballs? This article needed a good edit ...
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Thumpalumpacus, Mr Greene, brunumb

(07-07-2020, 12:51 AM)mordant Wrote:
(06-30-2020, 06:29 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.newsweek.com/world-biggest-s...ls-1514326

Quote:In analyzing the eyes of whale sharks, which can reach up to 60 feet in length ...

Good catch (so to speak).
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(07-07-2020, 12:51 AM)mordant Wrote:

Not my fault.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker