Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The church of atheism

The church of atheism
https://www.atheismcanada.com/

I can't quite decide if it's a joke, a scam or just a nutter.

But when I did my google search for our forum yesterday as I usually do, a paid ad popped up advertising the "church of atheism of central Canada" the "church" is apparently just about 45 minutes drive from where I live.

It's just a house that is completely blurred on google maps. Is that a service that you can pay for?

Anyway apparently last year they challenged the government to get the same tax exemptions that other religions get, but they were turned down because the government argued that atheism isn't a religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_...l_Revenue)

The case was heard to decide if there was a violation of the rights and freedoms of the Church and if the Minister's decision was reasonable. The court mentioned there was no clear definition of a charity in statute, so the court relied upon Canadian common law which had found that a charity either was involved in "the advancement of religion" or "certain other purposes beneficial to the community".[1] The court ruled that as the Church was a non-profit, they were not individuals so were not entitled to equality protection. They further found that the rights of atheists were protected and that the Minister declining to grant the Church charitable status did not interfere with their practices.[1]

The court then considered if the rejection was reasonable. The Church claimed that atheism was a religion and that they believed in "The Ten Commandments of Energy" as a sacred text.[3][4] However, the court found that atheism was not a religion as it failed to meet the common law criteria to be religion and stated worshipping energy did not count as belief in a Supreme Being or Deity.[2] However the court did not rule on if a religion needed to have an authoritative text such as the Bible in Christianity nor that there had to be a belief in God after The Church cited Buddhism as a recognised religion that did not believe in a higher power.[5] The Church had also argued that under the "certain other purposes" definition, they were a religious self-help group. The court rejected this argument as they found that the group only helped its own members and was not "rehabilitative or therapeutic".[1] As a result, the court ruled that the Minister's rejection was justified as the Church of Atheism lacked a charitable purpose and did not carry out charitable activities. In a unanimous decision with all three judges concurring, Justice Marianne Rivoalen ruled that the appeal was to be dismissed.[5]

So I get the impression that maybe whoever started this "church" was just trying to get out of paying their taxes.

But if you ever get into an argument with a theist about how atheism is a religion you can now at least say that the Canadian courts ruled that it isn't.

Also they worship energy.

And they have commandments....

Derived from the Holy Book of Atheism

I downloaded a copy of it and I'll peruse it and see if it's at least funny, but judging by the first chapter Genesis (of course) it looks like so far all they've done is replace the word "god" in the christian bible with the word "energy".
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Alan V, Phaedrus

The church of atheism
So, which party is more sorry in this equation?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Unsapien

The church of atheism
(04-26-2020, 05:37 PM)no one Wrote: So, which party is more sorry in this equation?

I think we're all sorry about this, if we're not we should be.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

The church of atheism
Quote:So I get the impression that maybe whoever started this "church" was just trying to get out of paying their taxes.

That right there makes them a fucking church!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Unsapien, skyking, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus, brunumb

The church of atheism
http://www.militantatheism.net/
(Czech Republic)
Church Of Militant Atheism

Why Church?
Because Churches have privileged position in many countries, which gives preferential treatment to theists compared to atheists.
Why shouldn't have atheists the same position? Or better, why not to cancel preferential treatment at all? Why someone should get preferential treatment only because he invented invisible friend(s)?

Why militant?
Militant atheism means a lot of things. In our case it is above all parody of militant theists. Atheistic habit is surely not to enforce opinion by force.
On the other hand, it is said that "the pen is mightier than the sword". And that we should use aganist theists' obscurantism.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Unsapien

The church of atheism
This bogus "church" is run by some bloke named Christopher Bernier, who describes himself
as 'Minister of the Gospel of Atheism, Secretary and Treasurer,  Church of Atheism of Central Canada'.

The organization’s given address corresponds to a rural residential address about an hour’s drive outside
of Ottawa, Ontario. The group has no active website and a defunct Twitter account with no followers that
last posted in 2016. A directory of Eastern Ontario service providers indicates that they offer income-tax
assistance for low-income families but indicates no other programming. No one has been able to reach
Bernier for comment.  All this makes the whole thing look suspiciously like the hucksterism of an accountant
who decided to try and make his lack of belief worthy of a tax break by calling it a religious charity.

Whatever, it's an embarrassment and a source of condemnation by atheists everywhere.  It's also a pity
that the Canadian court was forced to hear the case, although I note that Bernier had to pay costs, so
there was some justice in Bernier's appeal being denied by all three judges.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Unsapien

The church of atheism
Quote:The organization’s given address corresponds to a rural residential address about an hour’s drive outside

of Ottawa, Ontario

Are we evaluating real estate?  The catholick church is in the vatican and they are every bit as phony as every other church in spite of the antiquity of their surroundings.  It is run by some phony pervert-enabling shit who calls himself "Francis."  I'm struggling to see any appreciable difference.

I'm not arguing that atheist "churches" should be tax exempt.  I'm arguing that those phony superstitious fucks should not be exempt, either.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb

The church of atheism
(04-26-2020, 07:40 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:The organization’s given address corresponds to a rural residential address about an hour’s drive outside

of Ottawa, Ontario

Are we evaluating real estate?  The catholick church is in the vatican and they are every bit as phony as every other church in spite of the antiquity of their surroundings.  It is run by some phony pervert-enabling shit who calls himself "Francis."  I'm struggling to see any appreciable difference.

I'm not arguing that atheist "churches" should be tax exempt.  I'm arguing that those phony superstitious fucks should not be exempt, either.

I agree, so does my catholic wife by the way..

I guess the fact that it's just some guy's house and not a separate structure devoted to the "atheist religion" just smacks of as SYZ posted... hucksterism.

The pope might actually believe the things he says.

I guess what annoys me the most is that you expect BS from religions, but not so much from atheists, although now I think I just sound naive.

The church of atheism
Quote:I guess the fact that it's just some guy's house and not a separate structure devoted to the "atheist religion" just smacks of as SYZ posted... hucksterism.

Humorously, that's exactly how xtianity started!

The pope might actually believe the things he says.

Not a chance.

The church of atheism
This church is obviously trying to gain stature along side mainstream houses of worship but.....they're just not funny enough. TST and CotFSM are funny. Dudeism is funny. John Candy, Seth Rogen, Mike Myers prove that Canadians can be funny. I know the Canucks have a penchant for pouring funny into their heads. They need to kick it up a notch!
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"

The church of atheism
When I want religious parody, I turn to the Landover Baptist Church.
On hiatus.

The church of atheism
All religion is funny - or would be if it wasn't for the body count!

The church of atheism
And don't forget Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian. Another Canadian.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Inkubus