Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why single out Atheists?

Why single out Atheists?
I think most humans are not honest to the truth or  to themselves when it comes to world views and religion.

Some Theists like to single out Atheists as particular type of evil, but the truth, is the whole world pretty much doesn't care for the truth. No one cares that much. It's like a side past time. No one on a mission to discover reality and hold on to only what is true. By no one I don't mean there aren't any people out there, I mean by a group of people. No group of people that come under any label are honest to the truth and search it out like it means everything to be on the truth from what I can see. There is a person here and there maybe, but reality, hardly anyone.  And what is sad is just because one seeks the truth, doesn't mean they will find.  It's only with great battles and struggle that you can find the truth sometimes.

It's an epidemic of insincerity to the truth we humans have got going here, in my view.

Why spend endless ours debating Atheists as opposed to Christians on Trinity or Bahais on the day of judgment being real or Sunnis on succession of the Prophet? I don't know. I don't know why I did it. It's probably because you guys were a lot more patient with me is all.

Why single out Atheists?
(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: I think most humans are not honest to the truth or to themselves when it comes to world views and religion.

I don't know whether that itself is a true generalization.  I think most people are honest about all sorts of things, but have certain specific blind spots and failings.  Perhaps religion is among them, but it seems more likely to me that religious people just don't think about certain problems with what they have been taught.  The result is that they compartmentalize their beliefs away from the day-to-day realities which they can assess more-or-less without the same biases coming into play.  They effectively have two worldviews, one for their religion and one for daily life.

People are complicated and not always consistent.
The following 5 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Link, Dom, isbelldl, julep, epronovost

Why single out Atheists?
(03-01-2020, 05:02 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: I think most humans are not honest to the truth or to themselves when it comes to world views and religion.

I don't know whether that itself is a true generalization.  I think most people are honest about all sorts of things, but have certain specific blind spots and failings.  Perhaps religion is among them, but it seems more likely to me that religious people just don't think about certain problems with what they have been taught.  The result is that they compartmentalize their beliefs away from the day-to-day realities which they can assess more-or-less without the same biases coming into play.  They effectively have two worldviews, one for their religion and one for daily life.

People are complicated and not always consistent.

This is so true of Theists.  In fact, when it comes to reading text that is holy, it's as if they forget all the rules they are use to when others speak or reading other books.  Isolate a phrase, forget the whole context, something no one does with any speech of others, and just emphasize on the isolated verse to give whatever interpretation they want.
The following 4 users Like Link's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, Unsapien, adey67

Why single out Atheists?
(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: I think most humans are not honest to the truth or  to themselves when it comes to world views and religion.
How do you know?
How do you know i am one of them?

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: but the truth, is the whole world pretty much doesn't care for the truth. No one cares that much. It's like a side past time. No one on a mission to discover reality and hold on to only what is true.
How do you know?

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: By no one I don't mean there aren't any people out there, I mean by a group of people. No group of people that come under any label are honest to the truth and search it out like it means everything to be on the truth from what I can see.
Ah, so its not *noone*. You are trying to eat your cake and keep having it.
Are there people out there who care for truth, or are there not?
What is your definition of *truth*?

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: There is a person here and there maybe, but reality, hardly anyone.
Please make up your mind.

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: And what is sad is just because one seeks the truth, doesn't mean they will find.
Ok, so after not being able to make up your mind if there are any people out there to care for *truth* (or not=), you now add that its irelevant.
Do you have anything INTERESTING to say?

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: It's only with great battles and struggle that you can find the truth sometimes.
Really? Who would have thought.

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: It's an epidemic of insincerity to the truth we humans have got going here, in my view.
You know this based on what?
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • isbelldl, Bucky Ball

Why single out Atheists?
Do you have data ?
Your unsupported generalizations are nothing but BS
BTW, it's not "past time", its "pass-time".
Test

Why single out Atheists?
(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: I think most humans are not honest to the truth or  to themselves when it comes to world views and religion.

Some Theists like to single out Atheists as particular type of evil, but the truth, is the whole world pretty much doesn't care for the truth. No one cares that much. It's like a side past time. No one on a mission to discover reality and hold on to only what is true. By no one I don't mean there aren't any people out there, I mean by a group of people. No group of people that come under any label are honest to the truth and search it out like it means everything to be on the truth from what I can see. There is a person here and there maybe, but reality, hardly anyone.  And what is sad is just because one seeks the truth, doesn't mean they will find.  It's only with great battles and struggle that you can find the truth sometimes.

It's an epidemic of insincerity to the truth we humans have got going here, in my view.

Why spend endless ours debating Atheists as opposed to Christians on Trinity or Bahais on the day of judgment being real or Sunnis on succession of the Prophet? I don't know. I don't know why I did it. It's probably because you guys were a lot more patient with me is all.

I think more than being dishonest, people just are simply not great critical thinkers. On top of personal biases that makes it even tougher. On top of the lack of motivation to tear down their own belief systems.

I will say this about the truth..as an atheist, it doesn't hold much value, because there is no scorecard. If I live a life dedicated to the truth, or a life of hypocrisy and lies, the destination for me is the same. Non-existance. So while I have a casual interest in it, as a hobby, there is no reason to elevate it beyond that, once I've determined the God stuff is silly.

You on the other hand, have got an eternity on the line. So it makes sense you'd be highly invested.
The following 2 users Like jerryg's post:
  • Link, Tres Leches

Why single out Atheists?
(03-01-2020, 05:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: Do you have data ?

The word MK used should be spelled pastime.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 6 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Link, Dānu, jerryg, julep, Chas, adey67

Why single out Atheists?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Why single out Atheists?
(03-01-2020, 07:11 PM)Tres Leches Wrote:

The word MK used should be spelled pastime.

-Teresa

But who will grammar nazi the grammar nazis!?

Teresa. Teresa will Smile
The following 1 user Likes jerryg's post:
  • Tres Leches

Why single out Atheists?
Quote: Some Theists like to single out Atheists as particular type of evil, but the truth, is the whole world pretty much doesn't care for the truth.

The problem with theists is that they seem to think they are the sole repository of "truth" and said truth is based on whatever primitive nonsense happens to dominate the area where they were born.

It's hard to take you guys seriously, MK.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Why single out Atheists?
Link, you've started 9 threads in a day and a half.   Just sayin.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • julep, Deesse23

Why single out Atheists?
(03-02-2020, 02:32 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Link, you've started 9 threads in a day and a half.   Just sayin.

[Image: attention%20whore.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Minimalist, Deesse23, SYZ, skyking

Why single out Atheists?

Well we are infidels I suppose.  Perhaps we are an especially noxious abomination?
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.

Why single out Atheists?

No, he's referring to a pastime - an activity.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Tres Leches

Why single out Atheists?
(03-02-2020, 02:32 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Link, you've started 9 threads in a day and a half.   Just sayin.

Forum Rules:

2) No spam

Posting links to other websites in order to promote people, products, or ideas when not
part of related discussions may be regarded as spam.  Repeatedly posting the same
material
may also be regarded as engaging in spamming the forum

Link is very close to overstepping this line.      Thumbsdown
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Why single out Atheists?
(03-02-2020, 10:06 AM)SYZ Wrote:

Forum Rules:

2) No spam

Posting links to other websites in order to promote people, products, or ideas when not
part of related discussions may be regarded as spam.  Repeatedly posting the same
material
may also be regarded as engaging in spamming the forum

Link is very close to overstepping this line.

Dom stopped him already.

Why single out Atheists?
In my experience, it is the religious who are the least honest with themselves (and therefore with others) concerning their own religion.

I left my faith of origin precisely because of this fundamental dishonesty.

Unsubstantiated asserted truth about the non-falsifiable is not something that satisfies any moral imperative for honesty or truth-seeking.

That said, we DO seem to be entering a post-truth era in a way we haven't before. But a lot of this is coming from evangelicals. I came of age in the 1970s, when evangelicals used to decry politics as beneath their lofty goals and in fact said it flirted with the dreaded "social gospel" -- the notion, basically, that human problems are primarily non-religious in character. Our job was to model the love of Christ to a spiritually dead world and thus bring about the kingdom of god.

But then along came Jerry Falwell and others trying to get evangelicals involved in politics, along with dominionists and their dreams of replacing English common law with old testament law and so forth, and this eventually gave us Trump and Trumpism. So now we have the spectacle of evangelicals seeing Trump as heaven-sent to save the church despite that he's a serial adulterer and pathological liar and a racist. Evangelicals, in short, excusing behavior that they used to rail against, in the interest of temporal power.

Some "caring about the truth" that is!

(03-01-2020, 04:11 PM)Link Wrote: Some Theists like to single out Atheists as particular type of evil, but the truth, is the whole world pretty much doesn't care for the truth. No one cares that much. It's like a side past time. No one on a mission to discover reality and hold on to only what is true. By no one I don't mean there aren't any people out there, I mean by a group of people. No group of people that come under any label are honest to the truth and search it out like it means everything to be on the truth from what I can see. There is a person here and there maybe, but reality, hardly anyone.  And what is sad is just because one seeks the truth, doesn't mean they will find.  It's only with great battles and struggle that you can find the truth sometimes.

Why spend endless hours debating Atheists as opposed to Christians on Trinity or Bahais on the day of judgment being real or Sunnis on succession of the Prophet? I don't know. I don't know why I did it. It's probably because you guys were a lot more patient with me is all.

Well, props for honesty I guess. Maybe you're that rare believer who is able to pull the plank out of your own eye before picking at the mote in mine.

We shall see.

Why single out Atheists?
Link has left the room mate.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Why single out Atheists?
(03-08-2020, 12:07 AM)SYZ Wrote: Link has left the room mate.

whew! Bowing
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • SYZ

Why single out Atheists?

Not taking your meds (going on a "drug holiday") can do that.
Test

Why single out Atheists?

I am not debating you specially. I think all religions are equally ridiculous.
One thing you never see: A guy in Boston Mass. with a Union flag yelling "The Nawth's gonna rise again!"