Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the soul exist?

Does the soul exist?
(02-24-2020, 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 08:38 AM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 02:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: No. One who is intellectually honest cannot assent to what they think is false. 
The option claimed above does not exist.
Is your god so stupid he doesn't know when one is bullshitting it ?
This post demonstrates the complete fundamental intellectual dishonesty of these people. 

One does not really have the freedom to disobey a command when there is a gun pointed at one's head. 
The same situations exist with respect to these religionists and the supposed "choice" to disobey. 
"Obey or go to hell", or "believe or go to hell". The NT does not say in 100 places "if you believe then ... " anything. 
What happens if they don't believe ?  There is no honest choice offered.

There is always a choice.  Even when a gun is pointed at your head.  You can still choose.

They're telling someone "believe OR go to hell for all eternity".
Given their assumptions, no rational person has a choice.

There is always a choice.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Does the soul exist?
(02-24-2020, 03:26 PM)Cavebear Wrote: There is always a choice.

In the real world, certainly. Not in relation to fabricated mythology.

Does the soul exist?
(02-24-2020, 03:26 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 08:38 AM)Cavebear Wrote: There is always a choice.  Even when a gun is pointed at your head.  You can still choose.

Assertion. No support. Dismissed.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dānu

Does the soul exist?
(02-24-2020, 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: They're telling someone "believe OR go to hell for all eternity".

I don't see that belief is a matter of choice.  You are either convinced that something is true or not.  If you are not convinced, how do you choose to believe otherwise?  You can outwardly pretend to believe for the sake of your community, but surely that is not enough for God.  Then it becomes a case of "pretend to believe OR go to hell for all eternity".  Is that all Christians really want?
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • Deesse23

Does the soul exist?
I don't know if that's what they want but that's all they're doing Smile

Does the soul exist?
For what it's worth, we know (those of us who work in medicine) that there is no difference between groups of believers and non-believers with respect to how they want to be cared for, when they are looking at death. If believers *really* believed what they claim they do, they would be happy and anticipate going to heaven, and it would be reflected in their end-of-life choices. In fact what we see, is "do everything" in both groups and no difference in the choice rates. Even the Christians are always saying (later) "may she rest in peace". I suspect they really do not believe what they claim they do.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • skyking

Does the soul exist?
(02-25-2020, 04:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: For what it's worth, we know (those of us who work in medicine) that there is no difference between groups of believers and non-believers with respect to how they want to be cared for, when they are looking at death. If believers *really* believed what they claim they do, they would be happy and anticipate going to heaven, and it would be reflected in their end-of-life choices. In fact what we see, is "do everything" in both groups and no difference in the choice rates. Even the Christians are always saying (later) "may she rest in peace". I suspect they really do not believe what they claim they do.

I suspect the FSM endowed us with this knowledge, known as ''Notbelieveus atallus'' so that no one is without excuse of believing falsehoods when they die, many resist it of course and pretend as is our rebellious nature.
Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid.

Does the soul exist?
(02-25-2020, 04:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote: For what it's worth, we know (those of us who work in medicine) that there is no difference between groups of believers and non-believers with respect to how they want to be cared for, when they are looking at death. If believers *really* believed what they claim they do, they would be happy and anticipate going to heaven, and it would be reflected in their end-of-life choices. In fact what we see, is "do everything" in both groups and no difference in the choice rates. Even the Christians are always saying (later) "may she rest in peace". I suspect they really do not believe what they claim they do.

We've seen many people at end-of-life times. Either you have grace or you don't. My Niece is in that place between being done with treatments and feeling good, and her end time. She has as much grace as anyone I have witnessed, no god needed.
The following 5 users Like skyking's post:
  • Bucky Ball, possibletarian, Dānu, brunumb, Chas

Does the soul exist?
(02-24-2020, 03:26 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 08:38 AM)Cavebear Wrote: There is always a choice.  Even when a gun is pointed at your head.  You can still choose.

Over simplification.  When one is coerced, one does not have a real choice.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Does the soul exist?
Believe that Jesus was son of God or burn in hell. Believe in Mohammad the prophet of God and that to claim God had a son is a great insult and you will burn in hell. Which do you choose and why? It seems neither Moslems or Christians can really show hard evidence for their belief that will convert the other.

When one or the other can achieve that, then come and talk to us atheists. Until you can achieve that, you have nothing.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Deesse23