Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humans will be extinct in 100 years

(10-28-2019, 04:13 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: People do keep dying.

Yup.

In my city, people die alphabetically.  Really. For proof you need only look at the daily death notices.

I call this reasoning Apologetics 101 Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 4 users Like grympy's post:
  • Minimalist, brunumb, Inkubus, SYZ

I'll be extinct in far less than 100 years.

"Apres moi, le deluge."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(10-31-2019, 09:06 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I'll be extinct in far less than 100 years.

"Apres moi, le deluge."
Don't expect me to lead you home en Francais.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Well, humans have thought the world was coming to an end several times.   The Bubonic Plague wiped out 40 million  people (and possibly more) in the 13th century.   But hey  Smile  that really wasn't so bad when you compare it to WW 1 in which 65 million humans died.  Then add W W II casualties, between 70 and 85 million humans who died world wide,  and the total adds up to 130 to 140 million people have died from war in the last 110 years.  Yet seomehow we're still here.

Humans are the most amazingly destructive animals on the planet......BUT we are also the most resourceful animals. Our evolved sense of survival is very strong and even though we've almost killed ourselves off several times...... We're still here.  

And that brings me (of course) to a great song from the Broadway musical, Follies.... with very fitting lyrics.  This is the  elderly Elaine Stritch, barely standing up but - god fucking dammit, she's gonna sing this song if it KILLS her. "I'm Still Here" 

T4618

(10-31-2019, 09:06 PM)Minimalist Wrote: I'll be extinct in far less than 100 years.

"Apres moi, le deluge."

Wot? Are we going to have a revolution?  Are" we the people" going to turn on their betters  and start erecting guillotines?

Elitist? ME? You bet  bet your bippy.  Panic

Time to storm the Batshit.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-31-2019, 09:28 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Well, humans have thought the world was coming to an end several times.   The Bubonic Plague wiped out 40 million  people (and possibly more) in the 13th century.   But hey  Smile  that really wasn't so bad when you compare it to WW 1 in which 65 million humans died.  Then add W W II casualties, between 70 and 85 million humans who died world wide,  and the total adds up to 130 to 140 million people have died from war in the last 110 years.  Yet seomehow we're still here.

Humans are the most amazingly destructive animals on the planet......BUT we are also the most resourceful animals. Our evolved sense of survival is very strong and even though we've almost killed ourselves off several times...... We're still here.  

And that brings me (of course) to a great song from the Broadway musical, Follies.... with very fitting lyrics.  This is the  elderly Elaine Stritch, barely standing up but - god fucking dammit, she's gonna sing this song if it KILLS her. "I'm Still Here" 

In  1976 there was this  prediction that the city of Adelaide  was going to be destroyed by a tsunami . 

The State Premiere and  a few thousand others went to beaches  along the coast to meet it.  Some guys had surfboards .When it didn't turn up , we all repaired to the  pub.

WOW! Really? Well  some of it is true.

A bit about my state, affectionately called "Aunty Adelaide " .We are actually the world champion  for bizarre murders (THAT is perfectly true) 

In this excerpt from Australia’s Most Unbelievable True Stories, Jim Haynes recounts tall tales of tidal waves in Don Dunstan’s state
Jim Haynes

Don Dunstan at was our State Premiere,  widely revered, for his achievements, his intellect and his wit . Don was also gay as a lark, and nobody cared.   
[*]
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...-fake-news
[/url] In the 1998 film Deep Impact a tidal wave hits New York: just as fictitious was the 1976 prediction that Adelaide would be destroyed by an earthquake and tsunami. Photograph: Allstar Picture Library
The 1970s were a wonderful time to be living in Adelaide. In retrospect, the decade seems to be a curious age of bad hairstyles and funny fashions. There were cork high-heeled sandals and miniskirts for women, and platform shoes, flares, long socks and shorts for blokes – and there were kaftans for everyone.

The pedlars of fake news are corroding democracy
Andrew Smith
undefined

Read more

South Australia, however, had Don Dunstan, the member for Norwood, as its premier, and that was enough to make life rather wonderful, or at least interesting, depending on your politics and your sense of humour.
As premier Dunstan famously and hilariously caused a furore by wearing pink denim shorts and long socks to work in 1972. He was later “chucked out” of parliament (or at least asked to leave the chamber by opposition members) for wearing a T-shirt bearing the slogan “100 Years of Redleg Football”.
That year, 1978, the Norwood Football Club celebrated its centenary, and pulled off the most unbelievable premiership victory in Australian football history. Having looked like missing the finals early in the season, they not only made the finals but also defeated the undefeated minor premiers Sturt – who had lost only one game all season – by a point. Norwood trailed by 30 points at three-quarter time, hit the lead at the 29-minute mark and led for just three minutes of the game! Dunstan was rightly pleased.

[url=https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/dec/22/adelaide-apocalypse-south-australia-in-the-70s-took-the-cake-for-fake-news#img-2]