Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid things the religious say

(01-30-2021, 05:59 AM)Chas Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 05:02 AM)mordant Wrote: At the unironically-named "Rejoice Christian School", a 2nd grade girl told another 2nd grade girl that she had a crush on her. She was taken to the princpal's office for hectoring, then expelled from the school along with her brother.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/29/us/re...index.html

This is bad enough, but WTF is going on with the girl's mother?

Quote:"(The vice principal) asked me how I feel about girls liking girls and I told her that I see no issue with it."

Shelton took Chloe home that day, and administrators told her to not come back Friday, she said.

The next day, the superintendent called Shelton, saying that the school was "ending their partnership" with Shelton's family, she told CNN, also expelling her 5-year-old son. When Shelton asked for specifics, he said her beliefs didn't align with theirs, she said.

"I was so blindsided. I was angry, hurt, betrayed, sad... so many different emotions. I just couldn't believe it," Shelton said. "I asked him to have a sit down meeting to discuss it and process it better and he refused, saying that 'nothing more needed to be discussed.'"

Blindsided? WTF did she expect? And didn't she read this?

Quote:The school's handbook states that "any form of sexual immorality" goes against its beliefs, including "professing to be homosexual/bisexual."

Students who do not "conform to the standards and ideals of work and life" at the school forfeit the "privilege" of attendance

How could she have been shocked -- simply shocked! -- blindsided! -- by this inexplicable outcome? I guarantee you she signed a bunch of documents agreeing in advance to all this crap.

Hard to see who is more deluded, really.

A second-grader professing a 'crush' on a friend is not sexual immorality.  The child is 7 or 8 eight years old which is prepubescent, for fuck sake. Facepalm
I thought only Catholic priests thought children were sexually aware. But apparently the repressed and repressive Christian fundie nutcases think so.

Religious insanity.

A 2nd grader doesn't understand sex at all. It's just "liking". There are too many people misunderstanding situations and reading too much into them. Such people see communists at every streetcorner and sadists in every basement. Is there too much lead in their water?
I came to a fork in the road, and I took it!
The following 2 users Like Cavebear's post:
  • Chas, mordant

(01-30-2021, 06:56 AM)Cavebear Wrote: A 2nd grader doesn't understand sex at all.  It's just "liking".  There are too many people misunderstanding situations and reading too much into them.  Such people see communists at every streetcorner and sadists in every basement.  Is there too much lead in their water?
Yeah but ... if you're a parent (and this mother appears to understand this concept you just pointed out) ... why in the world would you put your child into a school like that, and more to the point, why would you be shocked at this outcome? It was entirely predictable. Her incredulity amazes me actually more than the school's stance, which while execrable, is at least easy to understand.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Cavebear

(01-30-2021, 02:56 PM)mordant Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 06:56 AM)Cavebear Wrote: A 2nd grader doesn't understand sex at all.  It's just "liking".  There are too many people misunderstanding situations and reading too much into them.  Such people see communists at every streetcorner and sadists in every basement.  Is there too much lead in their water?
Yeah but ... if you're a parent (and this mother appears to understand this concept you just pointed out) ... why in the world would you put your child into a school like that, and more to the point, why would you be shocked at this outcome? It was entirely predictable. Her incredulity amazes me actually more than the school's stance, which while execrable, is at least easy to understand.

I think sometimes we are too easily attuned to threats to our children and fail to understand normal childhood thoughts and actions. A 2nd-grader can say and do things innocently that would be inappropriate for a 12th-grader. I think the mother in this case (well-meaning) projected the situation into a more adult interpretation.
I came to a fork in the road, and I took it!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ

What the mother was shocked at was the attitude / reaction of the SCHOOL. She had no issue with her daughter.

The school was being retarded, but it's hardly surprising that they were being retarded. What was surprising, was the mother's surprise at the school being retarded.

While first loves typically occur in the teen years, chances are your youngster’s first
crush will occur well before then and Toronto psychologist Sarah Radcliffe, author of
Raising Your Kids Without Raising Your Voice says the way you react will shape how
they interact with you about future relationships. "Kids even 4 years old can have
crushes on each other,” she says. "It’s just a natural development. First you love your
mother and then you can love other people, even when you’re a real little kid".

I agree; the school's attitude to sexuality belongs in the days of black and white TV.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • mordant

(01-31-2021, 05:55 PM)SYZ Wrote: ... the school's attitude to sexuality belongs in the days of black and white TV ...

Reminds me of the scene in "Pleasantville" when the Reese Witherspoon character goes into the bathroom and discovers it has privacy stalls - but no toilets!  Tongue