Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who's dead now?

Who's dead now?
I guess it's "World Suicide Prevention Week" so, I assume that's why Avicii was featured in the Google doodle.  

Weirdly, an acquaintance is dealing with her son's self inflicted death this week.  

Fucking guns - they're just too easy to get.   Undecided

Who's dead now?
(09-06-2021, 12:38 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 07:05 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 11:58 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: This loser...

[Image: Hna-YS3-G-1.jpg]

So the rumours of you still being alive are totally unfounded?

I blame FOX news and Trump.

I found this very sad and not at all funny.  Sad

You misunderstand approaching death...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • c172

Who's dead now?
Norm McDonald. Undecided

I guess he had leukemia for 9 years. He only confided in a few close friends.

Who's dead now?
Norm! (What's not shakin'.)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Who's dead now?
(09-15-2021, 12:46 PM)Kim Wrote: Norm McDonald.  Undecided

I guess he had leukemia for 9 years.  He only confided in a few close friends.

Poor Norm.  He was sort of blacklisted by NBC producers who took offense at his jokes about OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson, Bob Dole and Bill Clinton.  He used to do the Weekend Update for SNL and right after OJ was aquitted he said " Well, it's finally official, murder is legal in the state of California."  

In the Weekend Update he frequently referred Michael Jackson as a homosexual pedophile.  When Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Prestley divorced he quipped...."According to friends they were never a good match.  She was more of a stay-at-home type and he was more of a homosexual pedophile".  NBC executives were always afraid that Jackson was going to sue NBC.

And then the head of NBC refused to let any advertisements for Norm's movie, Dirty Work, be aired anywhere on NBC.   The movie tanked because no one saw it.  I've never seen it either so I don't know if it's any good or not. They removed him from Weekend Update and he sort of stayed in the background at SNL until he left.  After that he did gigs here and there but nothing really did very well, not like his SNL stuff.  

He did an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld.  Seinfeld is about 4 years older than Norm but it seems like Norm was more like 14 years older then Seinfeld.    He was having a really tough time getting in and out of the car.
                                                         T4618

Who's dead now?
Norm wrote a book ...

It actually sounds pretty good. Shy

Who's dead now?
Sad loss. It took me a while to appreciate his deadpan humor, but he was really spot-on.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Kim

Who's dead now?
Man who filmed Rodney King's 1991 beating by police dies of Covid-19, friend says

Quote: (CNN)George Holliday, the man who shot the infamous video of Los Angeles Police Department officers beating Rodney King more than 30 years ago, has died, his friend tells CNN. He was 61.

Holliday died Sunday of Covid-19 in Simi Valley, California, according to longtime friend Robert Wollenweber.

"Unfortunately, he didn't want to get vaccinated. He wanted to get the Covid so he could build immunities and his wish came true about a month ago," said Wollenweber in a telephone interview with CNN. "He got sicker and sicker and was having trouble breathing, so they finally took him to the hospital. When his oxygen levels went down, they put them on a ventilator. And then he got pneumonia and his kidneys were shutting down and he had internal bleeding. And then he died Sunday."

Wonder if he voted for Trump.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Who's dead now?
Movie director Melvin Van Peebles at 89.

Obituary
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Who's dead now?
(09-22-2021, 01:49 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Man who filmed Rodney King's 1991 beating by police dies of Covid-19, friend says

Quote: (CNN)George Holliday, the man who shot the infamous video of Los Angeles Police Department officers beating Rodney King more than 30 years ago, has died, his friend tells CNN. He was 61.

Holliday died Sunday of Covid-19 in Simi Valley, California, according to longtime friend Robert Wollenweber.

"Unfortunately, he didn't want to get vaccinated. He wanted to get the Covid so he could build immunities and his wish came true about a month ago," said Wollenweber in a telephone interview with CNN. "He got sicker and sicker and was having trouble breathing, so they finally took him to the hospital. When his oxygen levels went down, they put them on a ventilator. And then he got pneumonia and his kidneys were shutting down and he had internal bleeding. And then he died Sunday."

Wonder if he voted for Trump.

To be fair, I've heard that dead people don't often contract covid.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Who's dead now?
Roger Michell, the much-admired director of films including 'Notting Hill', 'Enduring Love',
'Venus' and 'My Cousin Rachel', has died, aged 65.  A cause of death was not given.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Alan V

Who's dead now?
Army Gen. Raymond Odierno, who commanded Iraq War strategy, dies at 67

Quote: (CNN)Gen. Ray Odierno, a retired four-star Army general who commanded US troops during the Iraq War, died Friday of cancer, according to Army spokesman Lt. Col. Terence M. Kelly.

Kelly provided a statement from the Odierno family confirming his death.

"It is with deep regret that I can confirm the death of General Raymond T. Odierno on October 8th, 2021," the Odierno family statement reads. "The general died after a brave battle with cancer; his death was not related to COVID. There are no other details to share at this time."

It continued: "His family is grateful for the concern and asks for privacy. Funeral service and interment information are not yet available."

The family's statement did not specify the location of Odierno's death. He was 67, according to an Association of the US Army statement confirming his death.

President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden said in a statement Saturday, "We can think of no person who better encapsulated that basic creed of duty, honor, country than General Ray Odierno. He made our entire nation better, stronger, and more secure."

Uh, am I supposed to feel sad about this or something? Lol. Good fucking riddance. Far too many people think it's patriotic to not question our military's actions, and that needs to fucking change.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • SYZ

Who's dead now?
Quote:President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden said in a statement Saturday, "We can think of no person who better encapsulated that basic creed of duty, honor, country than General Ray Odierno. He made our entire nation better, stronger, and more secure."

Could someone please tell me how Odierno made the "entire" US nation better.
His sole claim to fame seems to have been (allegedly) killing Saddam Husein. I
really think it's time we got over impulsively glorifying these warmongers.

I'd also like to ask Joe and Jill exactly what "honour" there is in killing people for
a weekly pay packet filled with taxpayers' money.     Dodgy
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Vera, abaris

Who's dead now?
Oh come now.  It has been a lucrative profession since the early bronze age.

It is more honest than religion and really hasn't killed that many more people.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • mordant

Who's dead now?
(10-11-2021, 12:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote: It is more honest than religion and really hasn't killed that many more people.

Fuckin' ouch!

Who's dead now?
Odierno was like so many others a treadmill general. Bummer for his family, I guess.
On hiatus.

Who's dead now?
(10-11-2021, 12:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:
Quote:President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden said in a statement Saturday, "We can think of no person who better encapsulated that basic creed of duty, honor, country than General Ray Odierno. He made our entire nation better, stronger, and more secure."

Could someone please tell me how Odierno made the "entire" US nation better.
His sole claim to fame seems to have been (allegedly) killing Saddam Husein. I
really think it's time we got over impulsively glorifying these warmongers.

I'd also like to ask Joe and Jill exactly what "honour" there is in killing people for
a weekly pay packet filled with taxpayers' money.     Dodgy

He's five feet two, and he's six feet four
He fights with missiles and with spears
He's all of thirty-one, and he's only seventeen
He's been a soldier for a thousand years

He's a Catholic, a Hindu, an Atheist, a Jain
A Buddhist and a Baptist and a Jew
And he knows he shouldn't kill, and he knows he always will
Kill you for me, my friend, and me for you

And he's fighting for Canada, he's fighting for France
He's fighting for the USA
And he's fighting for the Russians, and he's fighting for Japan
And he thinks we'll put an end to war this way

And he's fighting for democracy, he's fighting for the reds
He says it's for the peace of all
He's the one who must decide who's to live and who's to die
And he never sees the writing on the wall

But without him how would Hitler
Have condemned him at Dachau?
Without him Caesar would have stood alone
He's the one who gives his body as a weapon of the war
And without him all this killing can't go on
[Verse 6]
He's the universal soldier, and he really is to blame
But his orders come from far away no more
They come from him and you and me
And, brothers, can't you see
This is not the way we put an end to war?

Naive and a bit simplistic, yes, but a lot of truth there too. Then again our "noble" reason for going to war - or most aggression, really - ain't that grand or complex either...

The most enlightening thing was that one of the most upvoted comments on a version of it on youtube was people laughing their heads off at the line about Canada. 'Cause 'pparently Canadians ain't the noblest and most "honourable" of noble, honourable, army-wielding nations (according to those people)

“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

Who's dead now?
Paddy Molonie
Founder of the Irish musical group The Chieftains. I own most Chieftains CDs.
Paddy Molonie was responsible for making Irish folk music popular and saving that.

RIP Paddy.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

Who's dead now?
Just now heard on the news that Colin Powell has passed away of complications from COVID. He was fully vaccinated, other reports say.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/...index.html
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter
The following 3 users Like Mad Hatter's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus, abaris

Who's dead now?
(10-18-2021, 12:12 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote: Just now heard on the news that Colin Powell has passed away of complications of COVID. He was fully vaccinated, other reports say.

Yes, I heard that too. He was old, too. No word of pre-existing conditions as yet.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Mad Hatter

Who's dead now?
(10-18-2021, 12:13 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 12:12 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote: Just now heard on the news that Colin Powell has passed away of complications of COVID. He was fully vaccinated, other reports say.

Yes, I heard that too. He was old, too. No word of pre-existing conditions as yet.

Well, we're not exactly young, so I hope our vaccinations hold out. Then again, we'll just have to wait and see if any word comes out, whether or not, he had some pre-existing conditions.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. - The Mad Hatter

Who's dead now?
(10-18-2021, 01:24 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote:

Well, we're not exactly young, so I hope our vaccinations hold out. Then again, we'll just have to wait and see if any word comes out, whether or not, he had some pre-existing conditions.

I am old and have pre-existing conditions, so I am quite aware that I have to do what I can to avoid exposure, vaccine or not.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Who's dead now?
Another warmonger I'm going to be told I must respect because it's "patriotic". Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • julep, Szuchow, Aegon

Who's dead now?
(10-18-2021, 01:31 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Another warmonger I'm going to be told I must respect because it's "patriotic". Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Yes...he lied to Congress and the American people. I don’t mourn the deaths of war criminals or those who covered for them.
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Szuchow, Aegon

Who's dead now?
(10-18-2021, 01:24 PM)Mad Hatter Wrote:

He had multiple melanoma, and his immune system was compromised. He was also treated for cancer some time ago. He was not in good health.
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • adey67, Thumpalumpacus