Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The IT Thread

The IT Thread
Hello everyone.  I've created this thread for people to share whatever they want about IT: IT experience, test-taking/study tips and tactics for certification, professionalism tips, experiences with rude IT people, etc.

For a little background on me, I've recently become interested in getting into the IT field; I have no IT experience.  As a result, I've passed The COMPTIA A+ exams (901 and 902) and am A+ certified: A+ certification basically means that one is qualified to work as a help desk technician ( IT entry level).  

I'm looking forward to my job search and getting into the IT field and am also going to start studying for the COMPTIA Network + certification; I'll tackle COMPTIA security + afterwards (security seems pretty cool IMO).

Well, if anyone is interested in talking about IT, I'm all ears.  Thanks.
The following 3 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Jenny, skyking

The IT Thread
hovering the mouse over a link does not mean taking the mouse and placing it on your monitor
The following 1 user Likes Schrodinger's Outlaw's post:
  • Kernel Sohcahtoa

The IT Thread
I work in IT support, [At first generally through first and second line support, and now for specific software]. If you have any questions or anything, let me know.  Thumbs Up
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Jenny, skyking

The IT Thread
Okay, I have Internet1000 from AT&T, guaranteed UP TO 1,000 Mbps. However, if I don't reboot at least daily the download slows to, worst cast, >100 Mbps.

Do I need to have the box checked out or should I just be thankful for a reason to reboot regularly? (I have the money to get it worked over by professionals, but do I need to spend that money at all?)
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 10:41 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Okay, I have Internet1000 from AT&T, guaranteed UP TO 1,000 Mbps. However, if I don't reboot at least daily the download slows to, worst cast, >100 Mbps.

Do I need to have the box checked out or should I just be thankful for a reason to reboot regularly? (I have the money to get it worked over by professionals, but do I need to spend that money at all?)

That's not a provider I am familiar with, and/or their working procedures, but do you find it's anything in particular thats noticeable? Like the time of day it's better vs the time of day that it's worse? Could be anything from amount of people joining the network [For example, it's probably much quicker in the early AM vs when everybody is at home during the mid-late PM] / the hardware itself being broken or generally bad / the phone lines etc.

Either way it wouldn't hurt to call them and have a guy check the lines/box or get a new box plumbed in.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Kernel Sohcahtoa

The IT Thread
The techs were here twice and replaced the modem, without finding a problem with their equipment. As rebooting returns the d/l speed to promised numbers I have to suspect that the problem is in my computer. Hence my question on what procedure is best for me, based on remote SWAGs of course.

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 11:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The techs were here twice and replaced the modem, without finding a problem with their equipment. As rebooting returns the d/l speed to promised numbers I have to suspect that the problem is in my computer. Hence my question on what procedure is best for me, based on remote SWAGs of course.

It could be your computer, although I'm not entirely sure what on your side would cause that specific issue. For example, if your computer had a faulty network card/wi-fi reciever, you'd think the speed would be bad all the time and not at "Max Speed" then it trailing off.

If you leave it as it is, without rebooting the modem, does it get any better? For example: when you see the issue what time is it? [Specific time period or at random] From there, is it any better in the early AM? If it is, it may just be the number of people on the network joining all at once, thus causing a slowdown.

Do you have any other devices connected to your internet as well? This would cause some minor slowdowns, depending on how many you have, and some wi-fi hubs work on a "pecking order" IE the first things connected gets the priority conection - if you have more devices joining, then potentially your Pc could be being moved down that order, thus rebooting potentially reorders that "list" as it were.
The following 2 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Kernel Sohcahtoa

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 03:21 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Hello everyone.  I've created this thread for people to share whatever they want about IT: IT experience, test-taking/study tips and tactics for certification, professionalism tips, experiences with rude IT people, etc.

Well, if anyone is interested in talking about IT, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

[Image: 29y455y.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 3 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, SYZ, brewerb

The IT Thread
Two laptops and two tablets co-existing, and none show degradation of d/l speeds over time. All WiFi except Boss Lady's laptop.

The IT Thread
[Image: t5v2R7i.jpg]

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 12:02 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Two laptops and two tablets co-existing, and none show degradation of d/l speeds over time. All WiFi except Boss Lady's laptop.

(06-26-2019, 12:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: t5v2R7i.jpg]

Ok, I would suggest [If it's possible] have a test period where all the other devices are not connected to your wifi / you wifes laptop isn't connected via cable/otherwise as well. Then monitor to see how it is. If it's still going down from there, I'd have to pass in all honesty. Id say it's more likely to be the internet connection itself, but at this stage I'm just guessing based on what I've seen so far.

If you have the make/model of your PC I can have a look about for you and see if there are any known issues at all.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Kernel Sohcahtoa

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 09:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: I work in IT support, [At first generally through first and second line support, and now for specific software]. If you have any questions or anything, let me know.  Thumbs Up

Thanks, Oaktree. I'm considering the following: currently, I'm able to be a full-time student and knock out the network + and security + certifications, which to my knowledge, would give me a much stronger foundation and give me more opportunities for growth (I'd like to get into security); get a job as a help desk technician to get hands on experience while studying for and obtaining the security + and network + certifications (getting these certs would probably take at least twice as long), but I'd be stuck doing help desk work until I'm able to get more certs.  What would you recommend?
The following 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post:
  • OakTree500

The IT Thread
Congrats Kernel on your certifications!
The following 2 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Kernel Sohcahtoa, skyking

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 01:18 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 09:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: I work in IT support, [At first generally through first and second line support, and now for specific software]. If you have any questions or anything, let me know.  Thumbs Up

Thanks, Oaktree. I'm considering the following: currently, I'm able to be a full-time student and knock out the network + and security + certifications, which to my knowledge, would give me a much stronger foundation and give me more opportunities for growth (I'd like to get into security); get a job as a help desk technician to get hands on experience while studying for and obtaining the security + and network + certifications (getting these certs would probably take at least twice as long), but I'd be stuck doing help desk work until I'm able to get more certs.  What would you recommend?

In all honesty, I can only really say "get cracking". Apply for the things you want and just get some experience. 

For me personally I honestly have 0 actual meaningful qualificaitons, but I got a foot in the door because I know how to use a computer. Since then I've just learned on the job, and now I work for a software development company as a second/third line engineer for their customers.

Not sure where you're based so I may not be able to accurately say for sure, but having what you have will give you the advantage for sure [Ie you could probably get where you want to go faster than I did] and the best way to go is just apply for anything/everything that is remotely relevant, and see what sort of feedback you get. Maybe you'll get on, maybe you'll be told "get some experience" or whatever else, and if that's the case you know to start potentially a few notches down.

In saying that, having the proof that you know these things is huge and if I had gone to university, I'd probably be where I am now anyway, but only about 5 years earlier lol.

Keep learning what you can, apply for everything, and generally keep moving forward.

Edit to add: If you can get some sort of "work experience" with your current course, that would be a huge help. A friend of mine went to university, and part of his course sent him abroad for a year working. Having international letters coming into employers looks very cool, plus you can say you've lived/worked in that field also.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Kernel Sohcahtoa, Gawdzilla Sama, Jenny

The IT Thread

IT Support.
Is that like when the IT workers get mad at their caller's stupidity
... then YOU have to say "And how does that make you feel ?"
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • OakTree500

The IT Thread
I have no certs. My knowledge is all based on School Of Hard Knocks (SOHK), gained from supporting small businesses from the late 90's on.
Subjects I am comfortable with:
Wire plant questions ( building the physical network )
all forms of wireless: Long haul, WDS , guest services
Telecom, digital telephone systems, fiber mux, analog voicemail (DOS!)
Arcane systems , such as the long deprecated Cisco private DSL system in the garage attic somewhere Smile
linux based apps, from fax servers to camera servers to LAMP to files and DBs
I do most of my work remotely these days, and try to push the desktop support off on the local staff.

Gawdzilla, are all devices wireless?
If so, side by side speed tests will localize the issue.

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 01:04 PM)OakTree500 Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 12:02 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Two laptops and two tablets co-existing, and none show degradation of d/l speeds over time. All WiFi except Boss Lady's laptop.

(06-26-2019, 12:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: t5v2R7i.jpg]

Ok, I would suggest [If it's possible] have a test period where all the other devices are not connected to your wifi / you wifes laptop isn't connected via cable/otherwise as well. Then monitor to see how it is. If it's still going down from there, I'd have to pass in all honesty. Id say it's more likely to be the internet connection itself, but at this stage I'm just guessing based on what I've seen so far.

If you have the make/model of your PC I can have a look about for you and see if there are any known issues at all.

I can do a test period this afternoon when Boss Lady is at work. I'll get the info when I can make the snipping tool behave.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 03:22 PM)skyking Wrote: I have no certs. My knowledge is all based on School Of Hard Knocks (SOHK), gained from supporting small businesses from the late 90's on.
Subjects I am comfortable with:
Wire plant questions ( building the physical network )
all forms of wireless: Long haul, WDS , guest services
Telecom, digital telephone systems, fiber mux, analog voicemail (DOS!)
Arcane systems , such as the long deprecated Cisco private DSL system in the garage attic somewhere Smile
linux based apps, from fax servers to camera servers to LAMP to files and DBs
I do most of my work remotely these days, and try to push the desktop support off on the local staff.

Gawdzilla, are all devices wireless?
If so, side by side speed tests will localize the issue.

My box and Boss Lady's laptop on on lan cables. Everything else is wifi, including three TVs (that aren't usually on, but all have fire sticks.)

The IT Thread
Back from the VA hospital and d/l is 422 while u/l is 940. "Weirder and weird", quoth Alice.

The IT Thread
Wire plant post I made on a tech forum a while back:

UTP does a fine job of eliminating interference, and STP if it is not properly bonded will bring everything in to the cable. It really sucks that way.
CAT6 is good for 10Gig for 60 meters. That means ANY CAT6 cable. CAT6a is better.

Quote:
What is the difference between horizontal and vertical wire? Maybe get some mounting hardware then run the wire along the overhead rafters and avoid contact all together?
Riser cable is certified for running up several floors in a vertical chase. It is good for horizontal also.
No cable will carry 10gig if it is improperly installed. I can't tell you all the ins and outs in a post but here are a few pointers:

1) watch bend radius. keep bends gentle. See the specs for exact figures.
2) be careful of installation bends and 'assholes'. "Asshole" is the highly technical term describing what a wire does when it forms a loop that gets pulled tighter and tighter till it deforms the jacket. These loops feed right out of the box. The only way to avoid them entirely is to have help at the box while pulling in the cable.
3) Use reel-in-box cable if at all possible. it helps with item #2.
4) don't zip-tie or otherwise secure the cable tightly. Simply put, it can interfere with proper operation and cause reflection of the signals. if you must use ties be very very gentle.
5) think of laying the cable rather than pulling it. try not to put it in a huge bind while dragging it in, and support it at least every 4' . Use supports that don't put a harsh load on the wire. Caddy makes a cool retainer with a gentle broad support.
6) if you are making several runs, invest in a few boxes. Your time is worth more than the wire.
7) if dragging wire in through a conduit or long restricted space, be aware of the possibility of 'burning' a wire. 'burning' occurs when a wire that is already in place restricts the new wire being dragged in, and the new wire literally burns or cuts through the jacket and into the conductors of the original wire. It is a real bummer because you may never see the damage and have a hell of a time troubleshooting it when it fails certification.
To eliminate 'burning', measure up the runs going through that conduit and pre-cut them with plenty to spare, and drag the whole bundle in at once. See #6 for the ideal solution, enough boxes to drag them all in out of the box.
8)Leave plenty of slack in the jack end, at least 2'. leave at least 6' to spare at the patch panel. you can't just splice it and it will save your butt if you have to move the panel, misjudged routing, etc.
9) overbuild the cable plant. if you need 1 drop, bring 2. Something will change and you will be happy you did. Some of those places are a real bitch to get back to, even impossible after construction. Keep in mind #7 too. You can mess a whole lot of things up trying to drag in a wire you could have brought in in the beginning.

If you are going to spend all the money don't ruin it by crimping. Get a good punchdown tool with a 110 blade and a pair of klien electrician scissors. Home depot has them both.
Practice scoring the jacket until you are sure you are not cutting conductors below, and then bend/twist it off.
Terminate all runs in keystone jacks, mounted in faceplates or surface mount boxes. Anything else is not certified and asking for troubles.
Buy premade patch cables for a few bucks each to hook up.
Some people have the right spot for a patch panel, i did not. I ran 10 drops in my house and installed two 6 port plates in low voltage brackets, it is clean and flush to the wall.

another:
Many people, myself included, like to comb out the wire so it is neat and parallel where a big bundle of it is exposed.
Avoid doing that because of Alien Crosstalk. This occurs when a signal being carried on a nearby cable jumps across to another cable. This happens more readily if the cables run perfectly parallel for a larger distance, so avoid combing it all out neatly.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • Dānu

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 03:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Back from the VA hospital and d/l is 422 while u/l is 940. "Weirder and weird", quoth Alice.

do the same test on each wired computer, one right after the other. You will get your answer. 
If 1 changes over the day and 2 does not, the problem is 1.
  • Gawdzilla Sama

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 03:23 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: hovering the mouse over a link does not mean taking the mouse and placing it on your monitor

That explains a lot, thanks.  

Sure do miss those retractable coffee holders my older computers had.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • skyking, TheGentlemanBastard

The IT Thread
they were just the right size for those heavy ceramic road cups of the 90's. Thumbs Up
  • Mark

The IT Thread
Things will have to wait until I get out of the hospital. Sorry.

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 11:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The techs were here twice and replaced the modem, without finding a problem with their equipment. As rebooting returns the d/l speed to promised numbers I have to suspect that the problem is in my computer. Hence my question on what procedure is best for me, based on remote SWAGs of course.

I never assume it's my equipment. There's only a couple things that can go wrong at the computer while there are numerous choke points upstream of you. Make 'em prove it's your PC.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ