Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baseball

Baseball
"Such a lovely game, why foul it up with rules?"
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Baseball
BTW, the best baseball team ever is here in St. Louis.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Baseball
(10-31-2019, 04:11 AM)Minimalist Wrote: We were in London a number of years ago and I read an account of a cricket match.

I thought the damn thing was written in Sanskrit.

Just so.

One is not meant to actually understand cricket. The rules were handed down by God, who I'm sure you are aware, is British . 

To enjoy cricket you need; a floppy hat, pink zinc on nose, folding deck chair ,a  vacuum flask of tea , another, larger flask  of some  cordial.  Oh, and a good book; it gets jolly boring at times.   On no account buy the food on offer. It  probably won't actually kill you, but could give you a heart attack  . Bring your own sandwiches., some  decent stilton and some fruit cake. 

If you should ever meet anyone who claims he understands  cricket, he's lying.  Women are not allowed to play cricket because they usually  beat the blokes   Tongue

Baseball
I started reading it aloud to my wife.  Before I had gotten two sentences into it she was howling!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Baseball
With Danu posting a bit about watching baseball, and baseball being "America's pastime, I thought about starting a new thread for 2021, but this may be the better route.

Cleveland is now the Guardians.*

*starting in '22.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Alan V

Baseball
(07-23-2021, 10:50 PM)c172 Wrote: With Danu posting a bit about watching baseball, and baseball being "America's pastime, I thought about starting a new thread for 2021, but this may be the better route.

*starting in '22.

Being of short but firm stature, and liking beer, I tried out for the college rugby team as a fresman. I could never make any sense of the scrum AT ALL. I mentioned that to an actual rugby player a few years later and he said that was OK, no one does. So damn, I missed out on a lot of beer and some exercise.

Cricket is for people who haven't figured out "roundball", US football is for people who love sumo wrestlers, soccer is for people who think a random goal ending a game at 1-0 suggests skill, and tennis is for people who love to grunt when there is no purpose. Bowling is for people who want "one big arm". Baseball is a skill that almost everyone thinks they have but few do. Golf is a bad walk aiming at a small hole while carrying a BIG knapsack awkwardly or renting a small car.

So I watch baseball...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Minimalist

Baseball
BTW, ever since Reddit got out of the Streaming business I've been using this.

mlb66.ir

I think it is a betting site in Ireland but you can just ignore all that crap and watch the games.  You can also close out the Chat Box or use the Full Screen option.  And a good pop-up blocker helps.

Baseball
(07-23-2021, 11:07 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(07-23-2021, 10:50 PM)c172 Wrote: With Danu posting a bit about watching baseball, and baseball being "America's pastime, I thought about starting a new thread for 2021, but this may be the better route.

*starting in '22.

Being of short but firm stature, and liking beer, I tried out for the college rugby team as a fresman.  I could never make any sense of the scrum AT ALL.  I mentioned that to an actual rugby player a few years later and he said that was OK, no one does.  So damn, I missed out on a lot of beer and some exercise.

Cricket is for people who haven't figured out "roundball", US football is for people who love sumo wrestlers, soccer is for people who think a random goal ending a game at 1-0 suggests skill, and tennis is for people who love to grunt when there is no purpose.  Bowling is for people who want "one big arm".  Baseball is a skill that almost everyone thinks they have but few do.  Golf is a bad walk aiming at a small hole while carrying a BIG knapsack awkwardly or renting a small car.

So I watch baseball...

A reply to my own post. When I was a kid I was pretty much "required" to play little league baseball. My parents demanded it and all my friends did. I was a good infileder. Bt I was the one whose bat never left his shoulder. I could never even see the ball coming, afraid to swing.

My baseball world opened up at my first office. They had a slow pitch team and were always looking for players. I might add that it was a navy base and all the others were EXTREMELY physically fit. Not that I was a blob; I had lettered in soccer and golf in high school and played tennis. But I didn't exactly go through "basic training" either. So I played catcher and short-fielder. They had the strength I never did.

But I discovered a skill. I had "timing". My favorite baseball player was Ty Cobb (yeah, a real asshole but a great player). His skill was to "put the ball were they weren't." I could do that.

I made "the team" because I never hit "out". If the fielders came in, I hit it over their heads. If they went far, I hit it just over the infielders. If they shifted to one side, I hit it to the other. I could put the ball anywhere I wanted. My special hit was a struck ball that hooked over and away from the right-fielder. I LOVED an outside pitch.

And I was sneaky. In practice bats, I always hit it straight to the left-fielder. There was always some guy on the other team who noticed such things and told ther others on the team what to expect when I came up to bat. LOL, sure fooled "that guy".

But the important part is that I learned to swing. The "bat on the shoulder" kid learned to go for it with confidence! And oddly, that has stuck with me my entire life. I learned the value of "trying".

Big Grin
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Baseball
When my youngest boy was ten our team had a kid on it who was terrified of a baseball in the air.  For 3/4 of the season when the pitcher released the ball he was backing out of the batter's box.  I spent a lot of time just trying to get him to stay in and maybe take a swing.  I never did convince him to take a swing but towards the end of the year he stopped running away.

Don't you know that the last game of the season in what would in all likelihood have been his last at-bat the pitcher threw the ball behind him.  Richie stood there like a statue ( but at least he didn't run away) and the ball hit his bat.  It rolled about 30 feet up the line and finally came to a stop on the foul line.  Everybody stood there looking at it and the umpire finally said "that's a fair ball."  I shouted "Run, Richie" and he did while the whole team was cheering him on.  The catcher, 3d baseman and pitcher ran over to it and then stood there looking at each other to see who would pick it up.  By the time they figured it out, he was safe on first.  My team which was up the first base line was going wild and the other manager came to me in the 3d base coaching box and asked "what the hell is going on."  So I gave him the 30 second version of the story, he nodded and said something along the lines of "these kids will surprise you, won't they?"  Then he started clapping and shouting "way to go, Richie" and his team joined in.  It was a great moment.  I don't know if the kid remembers it, but I do.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu