Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Atheism?

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 08:31 PM)Ima Believer Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 03:39 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 03:07 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: Prove it . . . . Atheists love saying that! It isn't anyone's responsibility to prove anything to you. It's your responsibility.
Noone came to your house and asked you for proof of your god. You came here and made claims. Put up, shut up, or at least admit you have nothing to back your beliefs! Noone will force you to abandon your belief, but you shouldnt be suprised when you are called out after having made bold claims and been offensive (from the start!) to the people whose house you entered.

Its not only a matter of reason but civilty. Angry

You're an idiot. This is a public forum on atheism and theism. I came here to discuss the later if you want proof of God get up of your lazy stupid ass and find it yourself, I don't find you worthy of it. Pearls before swine.

In other words, you don't have any evidence God exists.

Definition of God held by many theists and theologians.
1.  God created everything.
2.  God is perfectly, morally good.
3.  God is omniscient, and knows the future in all it's details.

A. If God decides to create a universe, God, being perfectly omniscient (See 2.) will know how all future events will occur, depending on what initial starting condition God chooses to use in creating that Universe.
B.  Therefore everything happens because of God's choice.
C.  Thus all moral evil is created by God, knowingly and purposefully.
D.  Therefore God causes all moral evil and is evil.
E.  No sentient being in God's created Universe has free will.
F.  If John is created evil and then is punished by God with eternal torment in hell, this makes no sense.  God has no common sense.
G.  God then is not good, merciful, compassionate, just or fair as specifically claimed by the Bible, OT, NT, or Quran et al.

You really don't know much about any of this.  The various God concepts thrown around by theists have many problems like this, and no solutions.  The concept of God has so many problems, self contradictions and is at bottom, so incoherent, the God hypothesis has no chance of being true than the existence of fairies and goblins.

The problem for you is, you don't have evidence for God but well informed atheists have lots of good evidence the various hypotheses of assorted theists are in the end, wrong and false.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • mordant, Unsapien, Dancefortwo

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 12:46 AM)Ima Believer Wrote: Before you start foaming at the mouth and spitting poison at me like some Benzedrine puff adder (Sybil Fawlty) just let me say I'm not challenging you, judging you or criticizing you, I just want to try and understand you. Of course I make my assumptions but I don't assume them correct. Having said that . . . . Why atheism? 

Now, the most obvious would be you don't believe in, or worship gods. But there seems to be a stark contrast between your everyday atheist and the atheists you encounter on forums like this. I had checked other forums, most of them long dead, before I settled here and this doesn't seem like something exclusive to this forum. You seem so angry, mean, hateful and facetious.

The majority of people I know are atheist, at least in their beliefs. Somehow I don't think that they are the same caliber as the atheists I've seen on all of those dead forums. The atheists I know in the real world don't want to discuss it. They don't act as if they are a part of the collective. 

From my admittedly brief observation of atheists online I can see them roaring into town in a beat up SUV with atheist bumper stickers pasted all over the vehicle, hanging out of the windows, hollering, guns shooting into the air, looking for the local church and courthouse to make absolutely certain that never the twain shall meet. 

Hair triggered to set off at the slightest provocation in case any of the locals, amateur atheists, or a theist should hazard a word. I know not all of you are like this, but a remarkably large percentage of you are.

To those and to the more subtle ones, why express your atheism in such a different way than the more subtle atheists in "real life."

You rant about hating the mythology. The pretense that the alleged deities are real, but it is more likely than not that you teach your young children Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny are real. In their prime stage of development. 

You rant that these mythologies shouldn't be allowed to enforce public opinion, especially in a political sense, but that's the nature of the game. 

Why atheism?

Looks like someone has some stereotypes they should probably ditch.

Is it really that difficult to treat individuals as individuals?

I don't give a shit what you believe so long as you don't inject it into public life. Believe as you wish. Keep it out of our laws. And know that if you've got effluvium to spill, you may just have to answer for the shit you talk. Put your big-boy pants on and stop whining. Because whining is fucking annoying, and surely an all-powerful god can explain himself just fine without his followers complaining that they aren't given respect.
On hiatus.
The following 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • mordant, GenesisNemesis, brewerb, Deesse23, Tres Leches, Unsapien, Dancefortwo

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 08:39 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: When someone constantly says there is no gods while constantly insisting I'm a JW when I full well know I'm not what does it say?
That you think and believe and talk like a JW maybe?

I personally have not said anywhere that you're a JW as I don't (and can't) actually know. But have only observed that you seem to have been influenced by them or have a lot of beliefs in common with them and so by implication I'd be unsurprised to find you to be a JW. There are only so many sects that identify as Christian who claim to be a restorative or corrective to widespread apostasy in Christianity, and in considering said apostasy to consist of following the creeds that have historically defined Christianity. In other words turning the very definition of apostasy on its head.

There's the JWs, and the Mormons for sure, and maybe  to a lesser extent, Christian Science and a couple others.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • brewerb

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 02:41 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: I'm not going to be boxed into someone else's definition or label.

Yet you clearly have zero problem trying to do that yourself inside your own thinking regarding others here. You come in telling everyone else what their atheism is, and means, to themselves, but protest when someone else defines you.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. If that truly is a value you hold, you would not violate it in your dealings with others.

So far as I can see, you're no different, at all, than any other believer who is self-convinced. You mouth the "right" words once cornered like this, but you've already shown your true colors.
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie, Minimalist, brewerb, mordant, Deesse23, Szuchow

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 03:07 PM)Ima Believer Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 11:37 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote: >The burden of proof lies upon he who alleges. Religious people should be aware that I'm perfectly willing to believe in god(s), ghosts, mediums, demons, angels, spirits, channeling, miracles, horoscopes, astrology, psychics, Ouija boards, the supernatural, and anything else for that matter, as long as they adhere to one proviso: prove it! That's all I ask for. Just one simple request. Prove it!

>Don't give me speculations, guesses, hopes, dreams, wishes, desires, beliefs, faith (or appeals to faith), or indoctrinations. Don't give me one-time-only, non-repeatable, non-testable events. Don't give me internal alterations in one's psychology or physiology which cannot be tested, observed or demonstrated, only felt or believed. And don't give me effects that cannot be related to the supposed cause.

>I have no objection to believing in a deity as long as proof based upon a rational standard of knowledge is forthcoming. Is that too much to ask? But surely, theists can't expect me to adopt their beliefs on the basis of what has been presented, thus far. Every "proof" that I've heard and very piece of evidence that I've seen for the existence of God(s) has been easily countered by rational evidence/arguments to the contrary. No convincing evidence for the existence of any deity has ever emerged.

>I'm more than willing to listen to theistic arguments or view theistic evidence as long as cross-examination is permitted. No claims which must be shielded from rational scrutiny are worth believing. As conditions now stand, theology rests far more on superstition and faith, than upon facts and reason.  Consider

Prove it . . . . Atheists love saying that! It isn't anyone's responsibility to prove anything to you. It's your responsibility. God doesn't live on a petri dish. He doesn't feel the need to prove himself to anyone, so if you reject him that's your thing. If you want to come looking for him you know where to find him. Not in any church, but the Bible. 

If, tomorrow afternoon a press conference is held by the world's leading scientists announcing that evolution was incorrect and we were in fact created. In effect, they discovered God . . . it would mean nothing to me. Today's science is tomorrows joke just as yesterdays science is today's joke.

My claim is that I don't believe in any gods. I can prove it by showing you that I don't attend any services, don't practice any worship, make no sacrifices to the supernatural, and pick and choose which dicta from which religion I choose.

Your claim is that god exists. Can you provide the amount of evidence I have for my lack of belief?

No, you can't. That paucity of evidence is exactly why I don't share you beliefs. Feel free to change that -- with evidence. Until then, you're just another blowhard online claiming knowledge you don't have.

I was full of shit and myself at seventeen, too. You're not special.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Deesse23, Unsapien, Gwaithmir

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 08:39 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: But why do you keep insisting I am?

Probably because, like so many other JWs, you're acting like a cunt.

They could be right or wrong about you being a JW; I don't know and I don't care. But when you're acting like a cunt, I don't give a shit what you believe or don't believe -- you're probably a cunt.
On hiatus.
The following 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Deesse23, SYZ, brunumb, mordant

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 08:54 AM)Ima Believer Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 05:29 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Why atheism? Because I could never force myself to believe in something that lacks supporting evidence.

I bet you could.

You'd lose that bet.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, brunumb, Tres Leches

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 07:10 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Nope.  You have NOT proven the existence of a god or gods. All you've done is claim a god exists without incontrovertible, falsifiable any fucking evidence whatsoever to back it up.  Learn the difference between a claim and evidence.

Fixed that for you.  Smile
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 03:07 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: Prove it . . . . Atheists love saying that! It isn't anyone's responsibility to prove anything to you. It's your responsibility.
Noone came to your house and asked you for proof of your god. You came here and made claims. Put up, shut up, or at least admit you have nothing to back your beliefs! Noone will force you to abandon your belief, but you shouldnt be suprised when you are called out after having made bold claims and been offensive (from the start!) to the people whose house you entered.

You're an idiot. This is a public forum on atheism and theism. I came here to discuss the later if you want proof of God get up of your lazy stupid ass and find it yourself, I don't find you worthy of it. Pearls before swine.

That's not how it works, child. You make the claim, you bear the burden of proof. Put up, or shut up.
The following 3 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo

Why Atheism?
Why did the chicken cross the road?
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 12:46 AM)Ima Believer Wrote: From my admittedly brief observation of atheists online I can see them roaring into town in a beat up SUV with atheist bumper stickers pasted all over the vehicle, hanging out of the windows, hollering, guns shooting into the air, looking for the local church and courthouse to make absolutely certain that never the twain shall meet. 

And yet, despite all that, here you are. Hanging out here. More that an entire day, in about a weeks time. 10 threads.
Again and again. Even after you said you were flouncing out. 
Starting more and more threads. Returning again and again. 
Why is it the word *hypocrite* comes to mind ?
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ, Minimalist

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 05:29 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: Why atheism? Because I could never force myself to believe in something that lacks supporting evidence.

(05-04-2019, 08:54 AM)Ima Believer Wrote: I bet you could.

Thought experiment for you:

My guardian dragon Glori has just popped over to your place and is lounging near you and your computer.  He's about six feet long, two feet high, metallic teal with emerald highlights, and he's wearing a beige trench coat, a fedora, and four shocking-pink leg warmers.  He has a take-out coffee in his right front paw and a raspberry jambuster in his left paw, and some of the icing sugar is falling off the donut onto the floor.  He asks you "What'cha doin', shweetheart?" in a rumbly, slightly hissy Humphrey Bogart affectation, then takes a bite of the jambuster and licks some of the raspberry filling off his left paw.

Easy to imagine, but can you actually believe that it's real?
The following 5 users Like Astreja's post:
  • Phaedrus, TheGentlemanBastard, SYZ, Unsapien, Tres Leches

Why Atheism?

Yep, this is exactly what i was talking about. Thank you for making my point.

You came here, shitting all over the carpet, making wild ass claims, and now you are backpedaling (boo-hoo). I dont believe in a god, so why should i look for "proof"? You are the one trying to promote the bible and "Yehova" (shouldnt you get stoned for using the lords name in vain?). I am just asking what good reasons you have to believe he exists. If you have any you may present them. If you dont you dont need to. Its that simple. The fact that you are getting all defensive is revealing.

In all this exictement i kinda lost track of the number of times you have been asked, but being this is an atheist forum, a place of reason, with people who wont buy unfounded bullshit claims, you´ve got to ask yourself: "Do i have any good reasons to believe in a god Yehova?"  Well, do ya, punk?
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 6 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • Tres Leches, TheGentlemanBastard, Szuchow, brunumb, Thumpalumpacus, Astreja

Why Atheism?
(05-05-2019, 02:56 AM)Astreja Wrote:

(05-04-2019, 08:54 AM)Ima Believer Wrote: I bet you could.

Thought experiment for you:

My guardian dragon Glori has just popped over to your place and is lounging near you and your computer.  He's about six feet long, two feet high, metallic teal with emerald highlights, and he's wearing a beige trench coat, a fedora, and four shocking-pink leg warmers.  He has a take-out coffee in his right front paw and a raspberry jambuster in his left paw, and some of the icing sugar is falling off the donut onto the floor.  He asks you "What'cha doin', shweetheart?" in a rumbly, slightly hissy Humphrey Bogart affectation, then takes a bite of the jambuster and licks some of the raspberry filling off his left paw.

Easy to imagine, but can you actually believe that it's real?

That will take self-reflection on his part. I don't think he's up for that. He's too busy trying to shift the burden.

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 02:53 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: ... I move around a lot and I've seen a lot of atheists shooting guns into the air. Rednecks, hired assassins, drug lords and so on.

Thanks for the LULZ  dickbrain.  I'm guessing you haven't "moved" further than your mommy's basement hehe.

You're so full of shit your eyes are brown.      Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dancefortwo

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 08:31 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: You're an idiot. This is a public forum on atheism and theism. I came here to discuss the later if you want proof of God get up of your lazy stupid ass and find it yourself, I don't find you worthy of it. Pearls before swine.

(05-04-2019, 08:39 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: Other than the stupidity mentioned above you also want to vilify the religious. I've noticed you doing this in other more subtle ways. You really are a disingenuous and vile group of people.

I've suggested to the mods that we ban this poster.  I think it's pretty clear now that he's not who he
claims to be—a 17-year-old who's desirous of learning about atheism—but is more than likely an older
person trolling and pushing the envelope just for kicks.

I reckon thirty deliberately antagonistic posts a day confirms this.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Why Atheism?
Someone please enlighten me about the pearls before swine reference, I've never heard it before. But from my point of view right now all that pearls do is look pretty and they're caused I think by a defence mechanism to a foreign particle entering the oyster. Whereas swine, even if you don't like to eat them, we used to use them as fertilizing rototillers. We'd move their pen from place to place, because they'd love to dig into the ground for roots (and grubs probably) and they'd happily dig and shit all day long unknowingly making a perfect garden for us.

So...swine before pearls for me!
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Dom, Thumpalumpacus

Why Atheism?
(05-05-2019, 07:21 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 08:31 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: You're an idiot. This is a public forum on atheism and theism. I came here to discuss the later if you want proof of God get up of your lazy stupid ass and find it yourself, I don't find you worthy of it. Pearls before swine.

(05-04-2019, 08:39 PM)Ima Believer Wrote: Other than the stupidity mentioned above you also want to vilify the religious. I've noticed you doing this in other more subtle ways. You really are a disingenuous and vile group of people.

I've suggested to the mods that we ban this poster.  I think it's pretty clear now that he's not who he
claims to be—a 17-year-old who's desirous of learning about atheism—but is more than likely an older
person trolling and pushing the envelope just for kicks.

I reckon thirty deliberately antagonistic posts a day confirms this.
Oh it's plausible to me he's 17. If he's not, he's doing such a masterful job of acting like an a naive adolescent who thinks he's way more clueful than he actually is, that he ought to be allowed to remain just on the basis of the masterful impersonation alone.

He is, of course, as Thump pointed out, a cunt. But I don't advocate banning cunts, just blocking them if you don't want to see them.

I actually see some value in responding to some of his posts, namely, documenting our thinking for the record and the benefit of lurkers and such. If you don't have any expectation of Ima getting a clue, then you don't expose yourself to frustration.

In fact though Ima has shown signs of being ultimately reachable, actually. He occasionally realizes he's being dickish, and backs of a little, but then can't help moving on to the next teenage flight of hubris. I can see the humanity in him (and the 17 year old cunt I once was). But only he can figure life out for himself. He will, or won't, as the case may be. But I do not advocate banning people for ideas, however mal-formed or bad they might be. People should be banned for egregious ad hominem, bad faith behavior, that consumes bandwidth to no good purpose. While I can respect people who disagree, I don't personally see any of his posts have risen to that level as yet, and anyone who finds him odious can simply block him or stop responding to him.

I also buy another poster's (sorry, don't recall the name) view that he's actually trying in his clumsy way to sort out his beliefs. I think he's had a lot of exposure to JW "thinking" for some reason and has cherry-picked some of it -- perhaps more than he even realizes -- in synthesizing his current beliefs. He has a need for some reason to see the Bible as useful and some nebulous general concept of god as important. Given that it took me a few years to conclusively determine that none of this leads anywhere, I don't mind letting him work through it at his own pace.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie, adey67, Unsapien, SYZ

Why Atheism?
(05-05-2019, 10:51 AM)Unsapien Wrote: Someone please enlighten me about the pearls before swine reference, I've never heard it before. But from my point of view right now all that pearls do is look pretty and they're caused I think by a defence mechanism to a foreign particle entering the oyster. Whereas swine, even if you don't like to eat them, we used to use them as fertilizing rototillers. We'd move their pen from place to place, because they'd love to dig into the ground for roots (and grubs probably) and they'd happily dig and shit all day long unknowingly making a perfect garden for us.

So...swine before pearls for me!

The point of not casting pearls before swine is that swine have no use for pearls. It isn't so much that those who don't listen are pigs, it's more that you are wasting your time.
The following 1 user Likes Ima Believer's post:
  • Unsapien

Why Atheism?
Quote:Other than the stupidity mentioned above you also want to vilify the religious.

No group of scumbags in history deserves vilification more.  Study up on the 30 Years War and find out what your jesus-freak buddies are capable of doing.... even to other jesus freaks.  "Vile scum: seems an appropriate appellation for every god-buggerer.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Szuchow, brunumb

Why Atheism?
Quote:it's more that you are wasting your time.

Indeed you are a waste of time.  And oxygen.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: In other words, you don't have any evidence God exists.

Which God? The God of the Bible? The Bible is the evidence. Like it or not. 

(05-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Definition of God held by many theists and theologians.
1.  God created everything.
2.  God is perfectly, morally good.
3.  God is omniscient, and knows the future in all it's details.

Morality is subjective. 
Omniscience is more of a theological construct than a Biblical one. God didn't know what Adam and Eve had done. He didn't know what Cain had done to Abel. He had to send angels to see if the complaints against Sodom and Gomorrah were true. 

(05-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: A. If God decides to create a universe, God, being perfectly omniscient (See 2.) will know how all future events will occur, depending on what initial starting condition God chooses to use in creating that Universe.
B.  Therefore everything happens because of God's choice.
C.  Thus all moral evil is created by God, knowingly and purposefully.
D.  Therefore God causes all moral evil and is evil.
E.  No sentient being in God's created Universe has free will.
F.  If John is created evil and then is punished by God with eternal torment in hell, this makes no sense.  God has no common sense.
G.  God then is not good, merciful, compassionate, just or fair as specifically claimed by the Bible, OT, NT, or Quran et al.

Omniscience as presented here is nonsensical. God isn't omniscient as you suggest. It's an exaggeration perpetuated by bad theology. God doesn't know when you are sleeping, or know when you're awake. That's Sante Clause. (sic) therefore your conclusion is based upon a faulty premise. 

(05-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: You really don't know much about any of this.

I do know about it. I know it's wrong.  

(05-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: The various God concepts thrown around by theists have many problems like this, and no solutions.  The concept of God has so many problems, self contradictions and is at bottom, so incoherent, the God hypothesis has no chance of being true than the existence of fairies and goblins.

Sure. Except for the god concept is a much more simple one than you present it. It just means anything or anyone who is venerated or respected. Mighty. A turd can be a god. A golden calf. Knitting. Boats. Cars. Television. 

(05-04-2019, 11:09 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: The problem for you is, you don't have evidence for God but well informed atheists have lots of good evidence the various hypotheses of assorted theists are in the end, wrong and false.

To us, the atheist / theist debaters the gods of the Bible are in question. That's limited. If I were a Hindu theist it would only be a slight variation but for the purpose of our  debate we consider 1 primary God. And no. I can't prove he exists but that means almost nothing. You can't prove what you had for breakfast this morning. Get over it. 

"Does not compute. Does not compute" isn't much of an answer.

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: My claim is that I don't believe in any gods.

That claim is made in ignorance and more likely wrong that not. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I can prove it by showing you that I don't attend any services, don't practice any worship, make no sacrifices to the supernatural, and pick and choose which dicta from which religion I choose.

This is illogical thinking. Millions of people do those things and don't believe in a god, supernatural or otherwise. Millions of people don't do those things and do believe in a god, supernatural or otherwise. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Your claim is that god exists.

I don't believe I made that claim. My claim is that certain gods exists, and others don't. The ones that do exist are no more or less gods than the ones that don't.  I suggest the possible existence of a specific set of gods listed in the Bible. Some exist or existed and some don't or didn't. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Can you provide the amount of evidence I have for my lack of belief?

You don't have any evidence that something doesn't exist. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: No, you can't. 

I just did. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That paucity of evidence is exactly why I don't share you beliefs. 

You don't share my beliefs because you don't know what I know. When I tell you what I know you don't listen. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Feel free to change that -- with evidence. Until then, you're just another blowhard online claiming knowledge you don't have.

Again. Illogical thinking. The knowledge I have . . . for example, on the soul, is apparent. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to say anything about it. Your knowledge on the soul is far less than mine. You simply say it doesn't exist. Of course, I point out to you that the soul of which you speak is Christian tradition based upon Greek philosophy and different than the Bible. The soul of Greek philosophy is mythical. The soul of the Bible is practical and you would have no choice but to acknowledge that unless, out of ignorance you deny it. Which is what you do. 

(05-04-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I was full of shit and myself at seventeen, too. You're not special.

I didn't say I was special. You're projecting. And I'm not full of shit at seventeen, you are full of shit at whatever age you are now.

Why Atheism?
(05-05-2019, 03:39 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Other than the stupidity mentioned above you also want to vilify the religious.

No group of scumbags in history deserves vilification more.  Study up on the 30 Years War and find out what your jesus-freak buddies are capable of doing.... even to other jesus freaks.  "Vile scum: seems an appropriate appellation for every god-buggerer.

I'm aware of the potential for abuse in religion. It's political and social. The neglect of something doesn't uh . . . doesn't negate . . . fool me one time . . . don't get fooled again - what is that Latin term?! abusus non tollit usum. There! How dost thou likest it? 

What were we talking about?

Why Atheism?
(05-04-2019, 12:46 AM)Ima Believer Wrote: Before you start foaming at the mouth and spitting poison at me like some Benzedrine puff adder (Sybil Fawlty) just let me say I'm not challenging you, judging you or criticizing you, I just want to try and understand you. Of course I make my assumptions but I don't assume them correct. Having said that . . . . Why atheism? 

Pretty simple. My first visit to the museum of natural history put me on the road. My father telling me that the dinosaur skeletons were millions of years old made me question my childish believes already in my preteens. Then biology classes at school did the rest. There is no all creating god, unless he graduated from amoeba- to dinosaur- to mammal-, to primate-god until he finally found humanity as his true destination in the last few minutes of earth's history.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Phaedrus, Deesse23