Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"If there is no objective purpose, why should we bother living?"

(02-07-2019, 09:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote: Orgasms, juicy steaks, scratching my dog between her ears, foot massages, travel, the satisfaction of helping others, getting a pump, taking a great image, swimming with whales, hearing a funny joke, having your loved one fall asleep in your arms, rustling palm trees, fire pits, hot tubs, a great book, hanging out with close friends...subjectivity reigns supreme in my life.

You forgot that first in the morning piss after you've slept for 11 hours after a night out on the turps LOL.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, abaris, Fireball

(02-07-2019, 09:47 PM)Nipper Wrote: Purpose all boils down to whether there is a God or not. And whether that God has a purpose for us.  Since none of us really know if a God exists and whether it has a purpose for us, we just have to make the best of it...

I can assure you that God or gods do not exist. So you can exclude the god factor from the purpose equation.
Gods are nothing more than fanciful, so-called supernatural entities created in the fertile minds of primitive men.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • LadyforCamus, Szuchow

Since we are already alive, might as well make the most of this experience.
The following 5 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Deesse23, Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

It's hard to stop.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, LadyforCamus

(02-18-2019, 04:07 PM)Dānu Wrote: It's hard to stop.

That's debatable.

Working at the nursing home, I've seen them just give up. One guy would not eat anything at all, and he was DNR as well as "do not hospitalize".  We simply had to let him do his thing, even though it was hard on us.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

(02-07-2019, 08:13 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 02:48 PM)Mathilda Wrote: Why do other animals bother living?

Because they got their animalistic heads together and now we even have stingrays going to underwater church to thank God for allowing them to float and kill almost nobody ever apart from that one Australian bloke that no one really talks about much anymore?  Consider

Being a subspecies of shark, stingrays can't float; they lack a swim bladder.
On hiatus.