Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Catholics

Damned Catholics
Satan, their imaginary whipping boy.  Facepalm
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Damned Catholics
Amid shameful residential-school revelations, I cannot remain a Catholic
theglobeandmail.com
Quote:In my six decades, I have been many kinds of Catholic: a cradle Catholic, a confirmed Catholic, a convenient Catholic, a lapsed Catholic, a renewed Catholic and a conflicted one. Now I am nothing but ashamed.

Ashamed that I have upheld an institution that dodges and weaves instead of taking responsibility. Ashamed that it has required the reported discovery of the remains of 966 children to push the church into possible action when it has had decades to do the right thing. Ashamed that Canadian Catholics can raise tens of millions of dollars for cathedrals, churches and other capital projects across the country, but can’t offer enough to keep a $25-million promise to compensate the survivors of the cruelty the church inflicted.

Asking all Catholics to help is a great idea, but don’t ask me – I won’t be dropping anything into the collection basket any more. I’ll be donating directly to an Indigenous agency, because the only kind of Catholic I am now is a former one.

The following 7 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • mordant, Fireball, Minimalist, Inkubus, brunumb, skyking, Astreja

Damned Catholics
"Six decades." Better late than never I suppose.

Damned Catholics
I am so glad to be an ex-Catholic (40 years free of them and counting).
"Aliens?  Us?  Is this one of your Earth jokes?"  -- Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
The following 1 user Likes trdsf's post:
  • Phaedrus

Damned Catholics
Keeping the story in the news!  Good.  It's what the bastards deserve.

https://www.rawstory.com/defrocked-us-ca...ith-abuse/

Quote:Defrocked US cardinal charged with sexual abuse

Quote:Former US cardinal Theodore McCarrick has been charged with sexually assaulting a teenage boy, court documents showed Thursday, making him the most senior Roman Catholic official in America to face criminal charges in the massive clergy abuse scandal.

The 91-year-old, a former archbishop of Washington DC, was slapped with three counts of indecent assault and battery against a child over 14, according to a filing in a Massachusetts district court.

This is interesting.....

Quote:A 450-page Vatican report published in 2020 concluded that McCarrick was able to rise through the ranks of the Church despite years of sexual misconduct allegations.

The Vatican admitted last November that late pope John Paul II ignored advice against promoting McCarrick over the sexual assault rumors that were later substantiated.

Apparently, JP2 was as big a piece of shit as all the rest of them!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb, Szuchow

Damned Catholics
Bastards get caught again!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/nyreg...ticleShare

Quote:Catholic Officials on Edge After Reports of Priests Using Grindr

A conservative Catholic media organization, The Pillar, has published several reports claiming the use of dating apps at several churches and the Vatican.

Quote:The reports hit the Roman Catholic Church in rapid succession: Analyses of cellphone data obtained by a conservative Catholic blog seemed to show priests at multiple levels of the Catholic hierarchy in both the United States and the Vatican using the gay hookup app Grindr.
The first report, published late last month, led to the resignation of Msgr. Jeffrey Burrill, the former general secretary of the U.S. bishops’ conference. The second, posted online days later, made claims about the use of Grindr by unnamed people in unspecified rectories in the Archdiocese of Newark. The third, published days after that, claimed that in 2018 at least 32 mobile devices emitted dating app data signals from within areas of Vatican City that are off-limits to tourists.
The reports by the blog, The Pillar, have unnerved the leadership of the American Catholic Church and have introduced a potentially powerful new weapon into the culture war between supporters of Pope Francis and his conservative critics: cellphone data, which many users assume to be unavailable to the general public.
“When there is reporting out there that claims to expose activity like this in parishes around the country and also on Vatican grounds, that is a five-alarm fire for church officials, there is no doubt about it,” said John Gehring, the Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a progressive advocacy group.

The reports have put church officials in an awkward position: Priests take a vow of celibacy that is in no way flexible, and the downloading or use of dating apps by clergy members is inconsistent with that vow. But officials are also deeply uncomfortable with the use of cellphone data to publicly police priests’ behavior. Vatican officials said they met with representatives from the blog in June but would not publicly respond to its reports.

Time to tear this whole rotten edifice down.

Damned Catholics
(08-20-2021, 05:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Bastards get caught again!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/nyreg...ticleShare

Quote:Catholic Officials on Edge After Reports of Priests Using Grindr

A conservative Catholic media organization, The Pillar, has published several reports claiming the use of dating apps at several churches and the Vatican.

Quote:The reports hit the Roman Catholic Church in rapid succession: Analyses of cellphone data obtained by a conservative Catholic blog seemed to show priests at multiple levels of the Catholic hierarchy in both the United States and the Vatican using the gay hookup app Grindr.
The first report, published late last month, led to the resignation of Msgr. Jeffrey Burrill, the former general secretary of the U.S. bishops’ conference. The second, posted online days later, made claims about the use of Grindr by unnamed people in unspecified rectories in the Archdiocese of Newark. The third, published days after that, claimed that in 2018 at least 32 mobile devices emitted dating app data signals from within areas of Vatican City that are off-limits to tourists.
The reports by the blog, The Pillar, have unnerved the leadership of the American Catholic Church and have introduced a potentially powerful new weapon into the culture war between supporters of Pope Francis and his conservative critics: cellphone data, which many users assume to be unavailable to the general public.
“When there is reporting out there that claims to expose activity like this in parishes around the country and also on Vatican grounds, that is a five-alarm fire for church officials, there is no doubt about it,” said John Gehring, the Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a progressive advocacy group.

The reports have put church officials in an awkward position: Priests take a vow of celibacy that is in no way flexible, and the downloading or use of dating apps by clergy members is inconsistent with that vow. But officials are also deeply uncomfortable with the use of cellphone data to publicly police priests’ behavior. Vatican officials said they met with representatives from the blog in June but would not publicly respond to its reports.

Time to tear this whole rotten edifice down.

Let them be gay. The whole story is about consensual contact.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Damned Catholics
They are supposed to be "celibate."

Do they think they found a loophole?

Damned Catholics
(08-20-2021, 05:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote: They are supposed to be "celibate."

Do they think they found a loophole?

No, a bunghole.  Modest
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 4 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Minimalist, Gwaithmir, skyking, Cavebear

Damned Catholics
Uhmmmmm. Catholic wierdness.

http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/

BVM sightings, prophecies and Catholic weirdness. Lots of prophecies.

"The Church will be PUNISHED because the majority of her members, high and low, will become so perverted. The Church will sink deeper and deeper until she will at last seem to be extinguished, and the SUCCESSION OF PETER and the other Apostles to have expired. But, after this, SHE WILL BE VICTORIOUSLY EXALTED in the sight of ALL doubters."
(Prophecy of St. Nicolas of Fluh, 15th Century)
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

Damned Catholics
(09-14-2021, 09:46 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Uhmmmmm.  Catholic wierdness.

BVM sightings, prophecies and  Catholic weirdness.  Lots of prophecies.

"The Church will be PUNISHED because the majority of her members, high and low, will become so perverted. The Church will sink deeper and deeper until she will at last seem to be extinguished, and the SUCCESSION OF PETER and the other Apostles to have expired. But, after this, SHE WILL BE VICTORIOUSLY EXALTED in the sight of ALL doubters."

In my honest opinion, the Church has never been exalted in anything. It continues to be the most morally and politically corrupt organization on the planet.  Dodgy
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Minimalist, brunumb, skyking

Damned Catholics
And Pope Frankie joins in to make things worse...again.

https://www.rawstory.com/pope-sees-no-pr...-marriage/

Quote:Pope sees no prospects for same-sex marriage

Quote:Pope Francis again on Wednesday ruled out same-sex marriage in the Catholic Church, in comments to journalists as he returned to the Vatican after spending several days in Slovakia.

Marriage is a sacrament and the Church does not have the authority to change it, the pope said.

Of course that is completely false.  The church paid no attention to marriage until the Lateran Council in 1215.  There was no formal ritual until the 17th century when Luther shamed them into it.

This means that:

A-  The supreme head of the fucking church is an ignorant bastard who knows nothing about the organization he runs, or

B-  The pope is a fucking liar.

I vote for "B".
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, skyking, brunumb, mordant

Damned Catholics
(09-15-2021, 04:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote: And Pope Frankie joins in to make things worse...again.

https://www.rawstory.com/pope-sees-no-pr...-marriage/

Quote:Pope sees no prospects for same-sex marriage

Quote:Pope Francis again on Wednesday ruled out same-sex marriage in the Catholic Church, in comments to journalists as he returned to the Vatican after spending several days in Slovakia.

Marriage is a sacrament and the Church does not have the authority to change it, the pope said.

Of course that is completely false.  The church paid no attention to marriage until the Lateran Council in 1215.  There was no formal ritual until the 17th century when Luther shamed them into it.

This means that:

A-  The supreme head of the fucking church is an ignorant bastard who knows nothing about the organization he runs, or

B-  The pope is a fucking liar.

I vote for "B".

[Image: qx5FbCO.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • brunumb, TheGentlemanBastard, mordant

Damned Catholics
(09-15-2021, 04:50 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Of course that is completely false.  The church paid no attention to marriage until the Lateran Council in 1215.  There was no formal ritual until the 17th century when Luther shamed them into it.

Same goes for celibacy. It origins in 1139 at the second Lateran Council. The church simply wanted to lay hands on the heritage of priests. That's the one and only reason for the rule.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Fireball

Damned Catholics
(09-14-2021, 12:46 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 09:46 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Uhmmmmm.  Catholic wierdness.

BVM sightings, prophecies and  Catholic weirdness.  Lots of prophecies.

In my honest opinion, the Church has never been exalted in anything. It continues to be the most morally and politically corrupt organization on the planet.  Dodgy

As are all religious organizations
 All I know is that I know nothing

Damned Catholics
More evidence.... as if more were needed.

https://www.rawstory.com/french-catholic...sion-head/

Quote:French Catholic Church had an estimated 3,000 pedophiles since 1950s: commission head

PARIS (Reuters) -The French Catholic Church has had an estimated 3,000 paedophiles in its ranks over the past 70 years, the head of an independent commission investigating the sex abuse scandal said in an interview published on Sunday.
The scandal in the French Church is the latest to hit the Roman Catholic Church, which has been rocked by sexual abuse scandals around the world, often involving children, over the past 20 years.
The French commission is due to publish its findings on Tuesday, marking the culmination of 2-1/2 years of work, probing allegations of abuse going back to the 1950s.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Cavebear

Damned Catholics
(10-03-2021, 10:34 PM)Minimalist Wrote: More evidence.... as if more were needed.

Quote:French Catholic Church had an estimated 3,000 pedophiles since 1950s: commission head

PARIS (Reuters) -The French Catholic Church has had an estimated 3,000 paedophiles in its ranks over the past 70 years, the head of an independent commission investigating the sex abuse scandal said in an interview published on Sunday.
The scandal in the French Church is the latest to hit the Roman Catholic Church, which has been rocked by sexual abuse scandals around the world, often involving children, over the past 20 years.
The French commission is due to publish its findings on Tuesday, marking the culmination of 2-1/2 years of work, probing allegations of abuse going back to the 1950s.

Any cult that limits something is sure to draw those who desire that something.

"Murphy's 5th Law of unexpected attractions..."
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Antonio

Damned Catholics
Nuns Raped Girls With Crucifixes as Female Pedophilia Was Covered Up by the Church

ROME—“Marie” was placed in a French Catholic boarding school for “young girls from good families” when she was in the fifth grade. She remembers a nun who would come to her class every day to choose a student to help her with Mass. But the nun wasn’t looking for someone to help her. She was looking for a victim.

“I was 11 and looked 9. She would choose me once every two or three times,” she recalls. “She would take me to her office, lock the door, and then draw the curtains. After which she would put me on her knees to make me read the gospel according to Saint Paul or another saint, while she squeezed me with one hand to her chest and pulled down my panties with the other hand. We were of course in a pleated skirts and not in pants. It terrified me and paralyzed.”

“Marie” couldn’t talk to her devout Catholic parents about the abuse until a friend convinced her to do so. The result, she says, was catastrophic. “You are really a pervert, a vicious liar. How dare you say such things?” her parents told her. In fact, her parents had told the nuns that she was being sent to boarding school because she needed to be tamed. “I was truly [a gift] for this nun... because she knew full well that she did not risk anything.”

The abuse lasted the whole year. At the age of 35, “Marie” told her mother again about the abuse. “My mother blissfully told me that it was impossible for a nun to whom she entrusted her daughter to abuse a girl,” she says. “Female pedophilia exists and unfortunately the media never talk about it.”

https://news.yahoo.com/nuns-raped-girls-...40545.html
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • Minimalist, Mr Greene, Cheerful Charlie, brunumb

Damned Catholics
Yep, they are all fucked up.

And the ones who didn't do it, knew about it and said nothing.

Damned Catholics
The RCC is such a monstrosity that I continue to be amazed by the lack of violence on the part of its many, many victims. At the same time, I got a bit of a shiver in my spine as I typed that - the sense that someone, somewhere will eventually explode and go out looking for revenge.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
In the US we call that "Tuesday."

Damned Catholics
(10-03-2021, 10:34 PM)Minimalist Wrote: More evidence.... as if more were needed.

French Catholic Church inquiry finds 216,000 paedophilia cases since 1950
Quote:Sauvé said the commission itself had identified around 2,700 victims, but that a wide-ranging study by research and polling groups had estimated that there had been around 216,000 victims. The number could go up further to 330,000 when including abuse by lay members.
The following 1 user Likes Mr Greene's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Damned Catholics
Vatican "justice."

Fuck you, Frankie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/06/world...rdict.html

Quote:Vatican Issues Acquittals in Sexual Abuse Case Involving Ex-Seminarians

One defendant, now a priest, had been accused of sexual abuse when he and his accuser were teenagers at a seminary within the Vatican walls. Another priest was accused of covering it up.

Scumbags.

Damned Catholics
Well, isn't that special Frankie.  You hypocritical dick.

https://www.rawstory.com/pope-francis-ex...e-scandal/

Quote:Pope Francis expresses ‘shame’ over French Church sex abuse scandal

What you're ashamed of is that they got caught while you parking your ass on the gold throne.

Damned Catholics
The only reason I'm not wishing a magnitude 9.9 earthquake and an F5 tornado on Vatican City is that it would also damage Rome and harm people there.
The following 1 user Likes Astreja's post:
  • Cavebear