Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All Hail The Second Amendment

(03-27-2021, 05:36 PM)Vera Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:29 PM)SYZ Wrote: He also died 230 years ago, which means his opinions have no relevance whatsoever today.

—Just like Grim's LOL.

Yeah, what really boggles my mind is this almost religious worship of the opinions of a bunch of people from centuries ago, as if every single thing they've said is set in stone and they, with their morals and understanding of the world typical of those time, are the ultimate arbitres of... well, everything really, forever and ever. Amen.

Oh, and constitutions and laws can be and are changed all the time. Amended even, if you will...

Then amend it. Don't use bullshit court "opinions" to alter the meaning to fit a modern point of view or laws that infringe but pretend they don't.
The following 1 user Likes Grim's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

(03-27-2021, 05:36 PM)Vera Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:29 PM)SYZ Wrote: He also died 230 years ago, which means his opinions have no relevance whatsoever today.

—Just like Grim's LOL.

Yeah, what really boggles my mind is this almost religious worship of the opinions of a bunch of people from centuries ago,
People who thought it was ok to own another human being as property? People who fucked their female "property", as evidenced by DNA of mixed raced people we can trace back?

Worship the opinion about guns of those people? Huh
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(03-27-2021, 05:39 PM)Grim Wrote: Then amend it. Don't use bullshit court "opinions" to alter the meaning to fit a modern point of view or laws that infringe but pretend they don't.
You mean like that SCOTUS decision a few years back?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(03-27-2021, 05:32 PM)Grim Wrote: Because at that time "well regulated" meant well trained and well armed. Look it up. Also why troops of the time were called "regulars." Regulated did not mean "rules."

You're smarter than this.

I thought.

Anyone who claims to be a veteran should also know that regulating a military force also means defining when firepower is legal, and when it isn't. When you may carry a firearm, and when you can't, that's also in the mix. Military bases regulate firearms to a degree unseen in most civilian communities.

By your logic, you should be able to write death-threats, perform human sacrifices in religious rituals, and while we're at it let's get rid of Terry Stops too, because they violate the Fourth Amendment, right? (No doubt that one would rustle your former-cop instincts!)

No, your rights have limits. All rights do. Those limits are found when they infringe the rights of others.

Rewrite and resubmit; I'm flunking this. Next time, take case law into consideration.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Deesse23

(03-27-2021, 05:32 PM)Grim Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:28 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:02 PM)Grim Wrote: I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." -George Mason, founding father 

The WHOLE PEOPLE. All of us. Except the politicians. We are to be armed to defend ourselves AGAINST the politicians if needed.

You ignored those words "well-regulated". It is implicit in the very amendment you claim is unregulated that the founding fathers envisioned regulation of the right.

Because at that time "well regulated" meant well trained and well armed. Look it up. Also why troops of the time were called "regulars." Regulated did not mean "rules."

You're smarter than this.

I thought.

Well-regulated in the terms of the militia meant a military organization with training and military weapons and officers selected ad directed by the ruling political powers.  It did not mean a mob of vigilante shitheads waving their guns around as you seem to think.  Again...go read it yourself.  I'm not your fucking secretary. Even the, the militia performed poorly in most cases.

Well-regulated in terms of republiKKKunt morons apparently means people who shit regularly.  You should try having it come out of your ass instead of your mouth.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

The local militias were supposed to spend at least one weekend a month drilling as per regulations. That's what "well-regulated" meant in the 18th C.

(03-27-2021, 10:18 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The local militias were supposed to spend at least one weekend a month drilling as per regulations. That's what "well-regulated" meant in the 18th C.

Regulated, of course, by the government and the laws it passes.

This idea that all rights in the BoR are absolutely untrammeled is silly. All rights have limits, which happen when exercising one's rights infringes upon the rights of others.

Let's say a bunch of Antifa assholes decide they're going to picket Grima's property. He's going to say, "But I have the right to defend my property". The Antifas are going to say, "We have the right to picket this cunt." Grima has already acknowledged that no right has any limits at all, and that any interpretation or weighing and balancing is court-ordered bullshit. It follows that Antifa protestors have every right -- by his own logic -- to blockade his driveway.

Shouldn't these Antifa guys, by Grima's own logic, be able to lock him down inside his house? After all, their right to free speech is just as unlimited as his property rights. But is that any way to run a railroad?

This is why Grima is a dumbass. He doesn't understand that compromise is necessary for social function. He doesn't understand that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. He doesn't want to extend everyone's rights, he only -- only -- wants to protect his own rights, and fuck everyone else.

I'm thinking m'boy doesn't know jack-shit about the social contract. He's just a selfish cunt who wants what he wants and fuck everyone else. Sucks for him that he's in the stupid minority. He'll learn one day ... or maybe not.

He's a divisive prick who's only come back here now because guns are once again a divisive issue in American politics. Assholes like him should be brushed aside in favor of thoughtful people, from both sides of the argument. Selfish twats with little brainpower should be treated accordingly.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Deesse23, SYZ

(03-27-2021, 05:32 PM)Grim Wrote: Because at that time "well regulated" meant well trained and well armed. Look it up. Also why troops of the time were called "regulars." Regulated did not mean "rules."

How is it that you get so much stuff wrong—particularly when you're
trying to be a smart-arse?  At any rate, if you have to rely on semantic
games to support your argument, you've fallen over at the starting line LOL.

Definition of 'well-regulated'...

—adjective (well regulated when postpositive)
(of a business, military outfit, routine, etc) controlled or supervised to
conform to rules, regulations, tradition, etc. a well-regulated militia.
[Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © 2021 HarperCollins Publishers]

And I agree—to some extent—with the claim that "well regulated" did not
then mean what it does today.  But that's the whole point; as it was written,
the 2nd Amendment's language is an anachronism.  If we blindly accepted
all or any rules and regulations written hundreds of years ago, we'd be living
in a state of chaos.  But that's exactly what you're proposing in this instance.

It's simply a feeble fallback position for the gun-nutters that are desperate
to keep their penile-extension or testicle-enlargement toys.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

While Fuckhead is defending the right of every asshole to have a gun we have another mass killing today.  More FREEDUMB for the DUMBFUCKS!

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local...e/2563778/

Quote: At Least 4 Killed, Including Child, in Business Complex Shooting in City of Orange

Four people were pronounced dead at the scene and two others were transported to nearby hospitals, according to the Metro City Fire Authority Dispatch.

But hey, can't do anything to hurt the profits of the death merchants, can we?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • SYZ

(04-01-2021, 05:30 AM)Minimalist Wrote: While Fuckhead is defending the right of every asshole to have a gun we have another mass killing today...

At the very least President Biden has called for a ban on assault weapons and tighter
gun control measures. Unlike his predecessor, who was sponsored by the NRA, and a
card carrying member of that reprehensible boy's club.

(04-01-2021, 12:08 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 05:30 AM)Minimalist Wrote: While Fuckhead is defending the right of every asshole to have a gun we have another mass killing today...

At the very least President Biden has called for a ban on assault weapons and tighter
gun control measures.  Unlike his predecessor, who was sponsored by the NRA, and a
card carrying member of that reprehensible boy's club.
Happily, Not Rational Anymore is circling the drain.

An 8-month-old baby was fatally shot on Friday by his three-year-old brother, after the older boy
"got a hold of a gun" inside an apartment in Houston. He was shot in his abdomen on Friday morning,
said Houston assistant police chief Wendy Baimbridge. Several adults who were inside the apartment
drove the baby boy to a hospital, where he died.

“I just want to take this moment and plead with parents and guardians all over to not allow your
firearms to be accessible to anyone in the house,” Baimbridge said. “Lock them up. There are things
that you can do to render that weapon safe".

But still we have this pussy-footing response to US gun deaths:  "Investigators and prosecutors were
still determining IF any charges would be filed in the case".  Well, for fuck's sake...   of course
charges should be laid—against the slack-arse parents who left a loaded firearm just lying around the
house!

How about aiding and abetting in the commission of a criminal act, such as involuntary manslaughter?

And just how long is it going to take for Americans to drastically curtail their slack firearms laws?  How
many more innocent kids are going to be killed by guns?  

This year alone in the US, 81 children aged 0-11 years have been killed with guns.

Angry    Angry    Angry

"The family has already suffered enough." says the police chief who doesn't have the authority to decide that.

http://endfamilyfire.org

Yes, G/S.  You know, there are laws and then there are laws.

Apparently, Texas has such a law.

https://www.uslawshield.com/children-and...torage-tx/

Quote:In Texas, the law says it is a crime if a child gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm and you (acting with criminal negligence) failed to secure that firearm or left the firearm in a place that you knew or should have known a child would gain access.

To understand this law, we need to break it down into its core components. 
How is a child defined under the law? A child means anyone younger than 17 years of age. 
What is considered a readily dischargeable firearm? The law defines a readily dischargeable firearm as a firearm that is loaded with ammo, whether or not there is a round in the chamber. 
To avoid criminal liability, you must secure your firearm. But how is “secure” defined? Securing your firearm means that you take steps that a reasonable person would take to prevent the access by a child, including but not limited to, placing a firearm in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm inoperable by a trigger lock or other means.

That actually sounds pretty reasonable.

The problem with laws is that they have to be enforced by humans... and therein lies the rub.

Quote:Under this law, if a child gets ahold of your readily dischargeable firearm, you would be facing a class C misdemeanor which is punishable by up to a $500 fine. If, however, the child actually discharges the firearm, and causes death or serious bodily injury to anybody (including themselves) then the penalty jumps up to the highest-level misdemeanor: a class A misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to one-year in county jail and a $4000 fine, or both.

So, bottom line, they aren't serious about it.

My point was the C.O.P. doesn't recommend charges be brought against the IRresponsible adult(s) and the District Attorney, after having dinner with perps, agrees. You can literally get away with murder south of I-44 if you're related to (and in good standing) certain families.

And my point was that it doesn't matter what the laws are if no one will enforce them.

(04-11-2021, 04:56 PM)Minimalist Wrote: And my point was that it doesn't matter what the laws are if no one will enforce them.
You general, me specific. Drinks

Agreed.

I'm assuming there is little incentive to hassle gun owners in Texass in general.

(04-11-2021, 06:18 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Agreed.

I'm assuming there is little incentive to hassle gun owners in Texass in general.

Arkansas is actually worse. My paternal grandfather died in a poker game in Texarkana. The cause of death was "one too many aces."

I can see that happening.

(I'm sure the jury could too!)

But how the hell do they leave a loaded gun laying around for a kid to pick up?

What kind of moron does that?

That would be a person who is ready to defend their 72" TV with deadly force. Even when they're not home.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Minimalist

I suppose.

Probably claims that he is "pro-life", too.

Until it's life, then it's just another fuckin' brat.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Minimalist

(04-11-2021, 12:39 AM)SYZ Wrote: An 8-month-old baby was fatally shot on Friday by his three-year-old brother, after the older boy
"got a hold of a gun" inside an apartment in Houston...

A later report from police says;  "This is just a tragic event... It was just one gunshot to the abdomen,
and unfortunately our little one is deceased".

"just"?  "unfortunately"?    Wow... how to make pathetic excuses in order to mitigate the seriousness
of this tragic crime.   Buy hey, it is  the gunslinger state.

Texas has, by far, more guns than any other US state;  588,696.  This compares with the next highest,
California, with 344,622 guns, (Tennessee has only 99,159).

Texas has a population of 29 million, while California has a population of 40 million.  Do the maths.    Sad

[Image: 36ef24da0d23ca455ee70efb52a66211]
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Minimalist, Cavebear

(04-12-2021, 02:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 12:39 AM)SYZ Wrote: An 8-month-old baby was fatally shot on Friday by his three-year-old brother, after the older boy
"got a hold of a gun" inside an apartment in Houston...

A later report from police says;  "This is just a tragic event... It was just one gunshot to the abdomen,
and unfortunately our little one is deceased".

"just"?  "unfortunately"?    Wow... how to make pathetic excuses in order to mitigate the seriousness
of this tragic crime.   Buy hey, it is  the gunslinger state.

Texas has, by far, more guns than any other US state;  588,696.  This compares with the next highest,
California, with 344,622 guns, (Tennessee has only 99,159).

Texas has a population of 29 million, while California has a population of 40 million.  Do the maths.    Sad

[Image: 36ef24da0d23ca455ee70efb52a66211]

We don't need that many guns, nor the military kind so popular these days.

The 2nd amendment refers to militias, but that was the "army" of the time.  Today's "militias" are not that army.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • SYZ