Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life's origins and "Missing Ingredient"

Interesting article from one of  Bucky Balls favorite scientist, Szostak.  https://www.livescience.com/64355-missin...tification  

Quote: Modern RNA, alongside its sugar and phosphate backbone, is made of four main building blocks: nucleobases called adenine (A), cytosine ©, guanine (G), and uracil (U).

But it turns out that early RNA may have had one nucleobase that isn't part of the modern form.

And because I know some of you won't read the link, here's a little more..... Wink  

Quote: ...the researchers added another chemical, called inosine, into the mix, instead of the guanine-based molecule. After that, the researchers were surprised to find that RNA could form and replicate slightly more accurately than it does in a mix with guanine

Even if scientists solve the origins of life, religious crazies will scream that scientists are satanic or some such nonsense.  But it's just a matter of time before scientists nail the origins of life. 
                                                         T4618
The following 10 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark, Dom, Dānu, Mathilda, Bucky Ball, Paleophyte, Astreja, Gwaithmir, Phaedrus, pocaracas

(12-29-2018, 05:33 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Interesting article from one of  Bucky Balls favorite scientist, Szostak.  https://www.livescience.com/64355-missin...tification  

Quote: Modern RNA, alongside its sugar and phosphate backbone, is made of four main building blocks: nucleobases called adenine (A), cytosine ©, guanine (G), and uracil (U).

But it turns out that early RNA may have had one nucleobase that isn't part of the modern form.

And because I know some of you won't read the link, here's a little more..... Wink  

Quote: ...the researchers added another chemical, called inosine, into the mix, instead of the guanine-based molecule. After that, the researchers were surprised to find that RNA could form and replicate slightly more accurately than it does in a mix with guanine

Even if scientists solve the origins of life, religious crazies will scream that scientists are satanic or some such nonsense.  But it's just a matter of time before scientists nail the origins of life. 

Yep fundies can be counted on to ignore anything that contradicts their predetermined truths.  Fortunately for them most encounter or collect very little information.  Like Trump supporters they tend to be fact avoidant.  

Fortunately there are also some who are less fundamentalist who are trying to drag the YEC's and their ilk into the 20th century.  (I know we're in the 21st century, but baby steps is better than no steps.)
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Fireball

Another example of scaffolding, I bet.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • pocaracas

“Science is for this world, for the use of man. It is perfectly candid. It does not try to conceal, but to reveal. It is the enemy of mystery, of pretense and cant. It does not ask people to be solemn, but sensible. It calls for and insists on the use of all senses, of all the facilities of the mind. It does not pretend to be 'holy' or 'inspired.' It courts investigation, criticism and even denial. It asks for the application of every test, for trial by every standard. It knows nothing of blasphemy and does not ask for the imprisonment of those who ignorantly or knowingly deny the truth. The good that springs from the knowledge of the truth is the only reward it offers, and the evil that results from ignorance is the only punishment it threatens. Its effort is to reform the world through intelligence.” (Robert G. Ingersoll, Myth and Miracle) Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • unfogged, Dānu, Dancefortwo, brunumb

That one is going in my scrapbook.   [Image: thumbsup.gif]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(12-30-2018, 03:19 PM)Dānu Wrote: That one is going in my scrapbook.   [Image: thumbsup.gif]

Mine too. It'll be in my quote keeper.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dānu