Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mafia Game #2 - Simple Vanilla but with doc / cop icing!

(12-18-2018, 10:40 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:39 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:32 PM)Joods Wrote: Ya. Those giant text walls are tough to get through even though he promised he wouldn't do that anymore Dodgy

... I'm less likely to keep promises when I roll scum.

I'm gonna call bs on that one, love. You get very talkative no matter what your alignment. I know your tells. I won't give them away here, but let's just say that when we play in games together, you're at a slight disadvantage.

Yeah, but I really have changed, and was fully intending to be more concise last game, but when I rolled scum I realized that conciseness would work against me.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

(12-18-2018, 10:43 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Yeah, but I really have changed, and was fully intending to be more concise last game, but when I rolled scum I realized that conciseness would work against me.

I don't really see how it would, but feel free to plead your case. As long as you aren't too wordy, I'll listen.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce, EvieTheAvocado

(12-18-2018, 10:43 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:40 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:39 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: ... I'm less likely to keep promises when I roll scum.

I'm gonna call bs on that one, love. You get very talkative no matter what your alignment. I know your tells. I won't give them away here, but let's just say that when we play in games together, you're at a slight disadvantage.

Yeah, but I really have changed, and was fully intending to be more concise last game, but when I rolled scum I realized that conciseness would work against me.

Talk to Chas for lessons on Terseness.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce, EvieTheAvocado

I'm here but I'm going right to bed. I'll post in about 9 or 10 hours
The following 1 user Likes Aroura's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-18-2018, 10:44 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:43 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Yeah, but I really have changed, and was fully intending to be more concise last game, but when I rolled scum I realized that conciseness would work against me.

I don't really see how it would, but feel free to plead your case. As long as you aren't too wordy, I'll listen.

I'm telling the truth, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to defend myself beyond simply stating the truth. I appreciate the fact that it's gonna look NAI to you. If I can think of a way to better defend myself, I will.

Oh, do you mean that you don't see how verbosity would have helped me as scum last game? Is that your question?
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(12-18-2018, 10:46 PM)Aroura Wrote: I'm here but I'm going right to bed. I'll post in about 9 or 10 hours

Booooooo!
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-18-2018, 10:46 PM)Aroura Wrote: I'm here but I'm going right to bed. I'll post in about 9 or 10 hours

I'm gonna be AFK for most of tomorrow for most of tomorrow, for all of Thursday and for some of Friday.

I really wish this game could have started sooner!

(12-18-2018, 10:47 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

I'm gonna be AFK for most of tomorrow for most of tomorrow, for all of Thursday and for some of Friday.

Sounds like a really compelling reason to lynch you first. 

FYI, I'm the reason the game started a day late.
The following 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aroura

(12-18-2018, 10:39 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:29 PM)Joods Wrote: Ya but if the same person goes first all the time, they will never get to play. Having two wagons to choose from makes it more fun.

It isn't about necessarily lynching Tarty first, it's about starting a wagon somewhere so we can look at voting patterns.

And since we have 4 now...

@Arden Portis You didn't hop on Tary's wagon until late and seem very reluctant to vote for him. It isn't as if the first wagon counts for much. Please explain.

Unvote

Vote Arden

Explain what? I posted when I posted.
I don't know else to tell you. Yes, I'm playing this, but I'm doing other things too.

Also, I made my reluctancy to lynch him clear in the post. I don't like the idea of just randomly voting to lynch someone with no actual cause for suspicion.

(12-18-2018, 10:46 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:44 PM)Joods Wrote:

I'm telling the truth, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to defend myself beyond simply stating the truth. I appreciate the fact that it's gonna look NAI to you. If I can think of a way to better  defend myself, I will.

Oh, do you mean that you don't see how verbosity would have helped me as scum last game? Is that your question?

You were right the first time. My point was that I did't really see how being concise would work against you. In either alignment, really, you play to your wincon. What you're supposed to do is be who you are regardless of your alignment. It's what makes a person so difficult to read and part of how they must survive. You acted extremely town last game - so much so to the point that several people fell for it. If you act the same way when you're a true town, then being concise becomes irrelevant.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

(12-18-2018, 10:50 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:47 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

I agree that I would be a less bad mislynch as I'm gonna be more AFK.

The fact you're the reason the game started a day late is a compelling reason to lynch you first, though!

(12-18-2018, 10:51 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:47 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I'm gonna be AFK for most of tomorrow for most of tomorrow, for all of Thursday and for some of Friday.

The fact you're the reason the game started a day late is a compelling reason to lynch you first, though!

Actually, it's one of the few reasons I can think of not to lynch me first, considering it would have made starting a day late for nothing.
The following 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • Aroura

(12-18-2018, 10:47 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I'm gonna be AFK for most of tomorrow for most of tomorrow, for all of Thursday and for some of Friday.

LOL not really. He'll be here to play, whereas you're going AWOL on us. You won't be here to participate. Tongue
      Christianity: 
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

(12-18-2018, 10:51 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:46 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:44 PM)Joods Wrote: I don't really see how it would, but feel free to plead your case. As long as you aren't too wordy, I'll listen.

I'm telling the truth, and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to defend myself beyond simply stating the truth. I appreciate the fact that it's gonna look NAI to you. If I can think of a way to better  defend myself, I will.

You were right the first time. My point was that I did't really see how being concise would work against you. In either alignment, really, you play to your wincon. What you're supposed to do is be who you are regardless of your alignment. It's what makes a person so difficult to read and part of how they must survive. You acted extremely town last game - so much so to the point that several people fell for it. If you act the same way when you're a true town, then being concise becomes irrelevant.

Being concise would have worked against me because being less concise worked more in my favor. I was able to use verbosity to confuse town. It also looked like my town self, for those who know that I tend to be more verbose town. That's yet another reason why I decided to stay verbose. Because it made me look more like my pro-town self. But I was expecting to roll town because rolling town is more common. I wasn't planning for getting scum, in all honesty! As silly as that sounds! I was expecting to roll town and to focus on being concise. Then I rolled scum and I thought "Oh ... I can just make it look like I haven't really changed and use that to my advantage."

Yes, I play to my wincon in either alignment. That's why I had to be less concise if I felt that it was going to work in my favor.

I'm always who I am.

Yes, I did act extremely town last game ... and I think if I had been concise as I was planning to ... what would have happened is that it would have worked against me because I would have looked out of character. I would have seemed scummy if I had been more concise than usual.

I'm just checking in to say I know the game is started but I need to get home, get the kiddos dinner and all that jazz, I will check back in before bed.
The following 2 users Like mlmooney89's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Aroura

(12-18-2018, 10:55 PM)Joods Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:50 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: Sounds like a really compelling reason to lynch you first. 

LOL not really. He'll be here to play, whereas you're going AWOL on us. You won't be here to participate. Tongue

It's his fault that I'm going AWOL a day earlier than I would have! Aggravated

(12-18-2018, 10:54 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:50 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: Sounds like a really compelling reason to lynch you first. 

Actually, it's one of the few reasons I can think of not to lynch me first, considering it would have made starting a day late for nothing.

I don't understand this. What do you mean "considering it would have made starting a day late for nothing."?

What I mean is ... I'm going AWOL a day early because of you! Boo!

(12-18-2018, 10:40 PM)Joods Wrote: I know your tells. I won't give them away here, but let's just say that when we play in games together, you're at a slight disadvantage.

Be careful, knowing him too well got me NK last game. Apparently when people know you well you are the first to die, oh wait that is interesting. I will shut up now.
The following 1 user Likes mlmooney89's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

@mlmooney89

I was worried about you figuring out I was scum later on!

I had to play to my wincon. It was obviously nothing personal.

And it worked. Albeit the game was unbalanced so I would have probably still won if I had NKed someone else instead. But I thought that killing the person who was most likely to figure me out, later on, was definitely playing to my wincon.

The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • mlmooney89

(12-18-2018, 10:58 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:54 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:51 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I agree that I would be a less bad mislynch as I'm gonna be more AFK.

I don't understand this. What do you mean "considering it would have made starting a day late for nothing."?

What I mean is ... I'm going AWOL a day early because of you! Boo!

I'm the reason the game started a day late, Mathilda made a special little exception so that I could get my last final in. It would kind of suck to delay the game one day for me specifically just for me to get lynched day one, don't you think? 

I'm not saying I shouldn't be lynched, by the way, just that me being the reason the game started a day late is one of the few points that would work in building a case to not lynch me on day one. You were stating the opposite, I corrected you.

(12-18-2018, 10:51 PM)Arden Portis Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:39 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:29 PM)Joods Wrote: Ya but if the same person goes first all the time, they will never get to play. Having two wagons to choose from makes it more fun.

It isn't about necessarily lynching Tarty first, it's about starting a wagon somewhere so we can look at voting patterns.

And since we have 4 now...

@Arden Portis You didn't hop on Tary's wagon until late and seem very reluctant to vote for him. It isn't as if the first wagon counts for much. Please explain.

Unvote

Vote Arden

Explain what? I posted when I posted.
I don't know else to tell you. Yes, I'm playing this, but I'm doing other things too.

Also, I made my reluctancy to lynch him clear in the post. I don't like the idea of just randomly voting to lynch someone with no actual cause for suspicion.

Yes, but we have to start a wagon somewhere, so unless somebody wanders in with a big red sign that says "Not Scum, Honestly!" we just start a wagon at random. And really, he did the whole "FIRST!" thing, which ought to be a policy lynch.

But now the first wagon has produced information and we do have cause for suspicion. OK, sure, pretty weak cause for suspicion but better than nothing. And the more wagons we get the more info we get and soon we have more and better cause for suspicion.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce

(12-18-2018, 11:02 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: @mlmooney89

I was worried about you figuring out I was scum later on!

I had to play to my wincon. It was  obviously nothing personal.

And it worked. Albeit the game was unbalanced so I would have probably still won if I had NKed someone else instead. But I thought that killing the person who was most likely to figure me out, later on, was definitely playing to my wincon.

Bold mine. 

Why does everyone insist on rubbing that in? It really doesn't make me feel good to keep seeing this sort of thing. 

Well, I have to go now.
      Christianity: 

Bad Popcorn in Big Buckets: Portion Size Can Influence Intake as Much as Taste

Technically, this is still a popcorn post.
The following 5 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Tartarus Sauce, mlmooney89, Smercury44, Aroura

(12-18-2018, 11:02 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: I'm the reason the game started a day late, Mathilda made a special little exception so that I could get my last final in. It would kind of suck to delay the game one day for me specifically just for me to get lynched day one, don't you think? 

Of course. I was only joking around with you. Hence the " Aggravated " emoticon.

Quote:I'm not saying I shouldn't be lynched, by the way, just that me being the reason the game started a day late is one of the few points that would work in building a case to not lynch me on day one. You were stating the opposite, I corrected you.

Yeah, I'm aware that you didn't say that you shouldn't be lynched.

I agree that I would be one of the least bad mislynches due to early game inactivity. Then again ... scum will be less likely to NK me if they think I'm going be too AFK to be much of a threat. And I will still be available later on. If I survive.

Still, at the same time, I'm the only person I know is town. So from my POV it still would be better to lynch anyone else.

Of course, I understand that is LAMIST and isn't going to fly. I just dunno how else to explain the fact that I would still rather we lynched someone else ... I'm not saying I'd be a good lynch. I'd be a bad lynch. I'd just be a better mislynch than another townie. The problem is I don't know any other townies.

(12-18-2018, 11:04 PM)Mathilda Wrote: Bad Popcorn in Big Buckets: Portion Size Can Influence Intake as Much as Taste

Technically, this is still a popcorn post.

Vote Mathilda for linking to Elsevier paywall.
The following 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • Mathilda, EvieTheAvocado