Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSL certificate

SSL certificate
Vosur, if we wanted you on the staff, we'd have invited you. If we wanted you to go into our server to "help" us set things up for us, we knew how to reach you. 

We're not digging our heels in the sand and refusing to do this. When we're ready, we'll do it.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • julep, EvieTheAvocado, Joods, Tartarus Sauce, Vera

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:00 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:58 AM)Assassin Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 12:46 AM)Vosur Wrote: It doesn't matter who does it, it takes five minutes because all you have to do to implement Cloudflare on your site is change the nameservers of your domain from the registrar's ones to the ones from Cloudflare. A child could do it in five minutes. How much time do you figure Aliza has spent today making posts in this thread? Do you think it was more than five minutes? If so, she had plenty of time to implement Cloudflare and SSL on this site in one fell swoop.

Maybe she's on mobile? Idk. Anyway that isnt the point. Just relax and wait for it to be done. Your approach was wrong. I'm sure it'll be implemented in the future and you can then chill, or come up with a different scheme to take over the world.

Honestly, don't you feel at least a little bit insulted? Something like four months have passed since Aliza was made aware of the need to implement SSL on this site and in those four months, she has not deemed the safety of the members of this forum important enough to spend five (5) minutes of her time on setting up SSL for the site. It really goes to show which one of the two of us cares more about the people on this site.

I am being honest. I don't feel insulted at all, I think that's just you. If you ask anyone else, Aliza is the best. Plus I only know her like 1 week or so.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:01 AM)Joods Wrote: But you aren't on the staff and frankly, you repeatedly badgering them has probably pushed them further away than if you would have just left them alone to come around in their own time.

Really? You think they are purposefully leaving the site unsecured just to spite me? Facepalm

(01-24-2019, 01:01 AM)Joods Wrote: Not everyone has to do your bidding or ask "how high?" when you say jump. This isn't your website, you aren't the owner. They don't have to answer to you.

That's right, they have to answer to the authorities like everyone else.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:03 AM)Aliza Wrote: Vosur, if we wanted you on the staff, we'd have invited you.

You're being a bit presumptuous there. I have no interest in being on the staff.

(01-24-2019, 01:03 AM)Aliza Wrote: We're not digging our heels in the sand and refusing to do this.

Of course you are. It takes five (5) minutes to do it. What is your excuse for not having done it yet? Actually, don't answer that, set up Cloudflare instead.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 01:01 AM)Joods Wrote: But you aren't on the staff and frankly, you repeatedly badgering them has probably pushed them further away than if you would have just left them alone to come around in their own time.

Really? You think they are purposefully leaving the site unsecured just to spite me? Facepalm

(01-24-2019, 01:01 AM)Joods Wrote: Not everyone has to do your bidding or ask "how high?" when you say jump. This isn't your website, you aren't the owner. They don't have to answer to you.

IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU. This forum doesn't revolve around you. How are you not understanding that while you have placed yourself up on some self-prescribed pedestal, longing to be needed here, truth is - THEY DON'T NEED YOU. 

And if you have such a problem with your own stuff being secure here - then take your crap and leave to go start your own secure forum. You are making a mountain out of a molehill because they aren't caving in to meet your demands and threats.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 7 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aliza, Tartarus Sauce, Vera, Mathilda, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus, Szuchow

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:27 AM)Joods Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 01:05 AM)Vosur Wrote:

IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU. This forum doesn't revolve around you. How are you not understanding that while you have placed yourself up on some self-prescribed pedestal, longing to be needed here, truth is - THEY DON'T NEED YOU. 

And if you have such a problem with your own stuff being secure here - then take your crap and leave to go start your own secure forum. You are making a mountain out of a molehill because they aren't caving in to meet your demands and threats.

I'm staying right here. If you don't like it, take your own advice and leave. Chuckle

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:30 AM)Vosur Wrote: I'm staying right here.

For now at least.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 5 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Tartarus Sauce, Mathilda, LadyforCamus, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 01:30 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 01:27 AM)Joods Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 01:05 AM)Vosur Wrote: Really? You think they are purposefully leaving the site unsecured just to spite me? Facepalm

I'm staying right here. If you don't like it, take your own advice and leave. Chuckle

I'm not the one bitching because the admins aren't doing what I want them to do.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • Aliza, TheGentlemanBastard

SSL certificate
My takeaway from all of this is that Vosur is angry that the staff rebuffed his offers for technical support and is using flimsy excuses of “data sensitivity” to throw a temper tantrum and threaten to shut down the server over an even more flimsily constructed case that the EU authorities would give a shit about the security standards of a hobby site that collects no money and stores no sensitive personal data.

This isn’t your site, and they’re implementing features on their own timeline. If you aren’t satisfied with the pace of implementation, you’re lodging your complaint in the most outrageously churlish way possible, and are demonstrating for everybody how wise a decision it was for the staff not to bring you on board for support. Your behavior exudes a sense of toxic entitlement; the sheer gall of threatening to shut down the forum. Seriously, dude? What manipulative bullshit, nobody wants a bully having access to power over the forum, and I doubt anybody would want to play in whatever sandbox you would build as a replacement after this exquisite display of ill manners.

Grow up. This is the most childish way to respond to not getting what you want. This is not just about wholesome security concerns, you’ve been doing way too much self-promotion for anybody to believe that.
[Image: giphy.gif]

SSL certificate
Also, I AM gonna say it out loud: there have been several DDoS attacks in the last couple of days. Everyone glean from that what you will.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

SSL certificate
Yup.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 3 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Mathilda, LadyforCamus

SSL certificate
Vosur if you're sincere about the well-being of the forum being your main concern, now that you have been very publicly vocal about it, maybe a show of good faith would be to revisit this in, say, two weeks. "Five minutes" for you may be fine, but not for our admins. A lot of members like me don't get the issue, but would look on your concerns more favorably if we thought you weren't putting a gun to the head of the forum. As you noticed, there were several of us now taking notice of this and wondering what the issue is and what the timetable is for a reasonable solution (if this is indeed something that we should be worried about)
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 04:27 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Vosur if you're sincere about the well-being of the forum being your main concern, now that you have been very publicly vocal about it, maybe a show of good faith would be to revisit this in, say, two weeks.  "Five minutes" for you may be fine, but not for our admins.  A lot of members like me don't get the issue, but would look on your concerns more favorably if we thought you weren't putting a gun to the head of the forum.  As you noticed, there were several of us now taking notice of this and wondering what the issue is and what the timetable is for a reasonable solution (if this is indeed something that we should be worried about)

He has issued us an ultimatum.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

One week. We're to bring the forum up to his "standards of excellence" in one week's time or else he'll do everything in his power to shut us down. 

I don't respond well to bullies who issue ultimatums.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 04:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 04:27 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Vosur if you're sincere about the well-being of the forum being your main concern, now that you have been very publicly vocal about it, maybe a show of good faith would be to revisit this in, say, two weeks.  "Five minutes" for you may be fine, but not for our admins.  A lot of members like me don't get the issue, but would look on your concerns more favorably if we thought you weren't putting a gun to the head of the forum.  As you noticed, there were several of us now taking notice of this and wondering what the issue is and what the timetable is for a reasonable solution (if this is indeed something that we should be worried about)

One week. We're to bring the forum up to his "standards of excellence" in one week's time or else he'll do everything in his power to shut us down. 

Yeah that doesn't seem like what someone would do that is concerned about any friendships and relationships made here.
The following 8 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Aliza, Vera, Revenant77x, julep, Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Deesse23, Thumpalumpacus

SSL certificate
Possibly worth remembering TTA never was secured. Ever.

I agree I'd like to see the forum secured for a lot of reasons, but I don't think overt aggression is likely to get the job done. Just sayin. And I'm not sure how many AD staff members are really all that experienced (in securing websites). That and remember an SSL(is free that's just encryption) but the verisign certificate isn't free, and that by itself may be the biggest reason it's not been done yet.

Tons of companies let their SSL and certs expire and just never bother to pay to update them. It's never a good idea but cost is a concern and I doubt AD has a huge budget. Sure you could institute your own self signing and encryption, but that's not necessarily going to solve the problem if we're talking about trust issues.
The universe doesn't give a fuck about you. Don't cry though, at least I do.
The following 5 users Like JesseB's post:
  • Aliza, Tartarus Sauce, SYZ, Joods, EvieTheAvocado

SSL certificate
Vosur  has totally overreacted to any threats he perceives with our site, be they
either legitimate of of little or no concern.  He seems intent on instilling some
sort of self-generated paranoia amongst some other members who may not be as
IT aware as he claims to be, which is unfair.  Most of his comments in this thread
should—at the least—have been made directly to the administrators, rather than
in public.

He's threatened to attempt to shut us down, and publicly called the administrators
"criminals"—right here in this thread!  These sorts of comments are totally unwarranted,
but Vosur seems to think he knows it all, whereas I'd call him a panic merchant who's
deliberately stirring the pot—for reasons unknown—other than big-noting himself.

His actions have been both inflammatory and disruptive, and personally offensive
to the moderators and administrators who've worked tirelessly to make our forum
a safe and pleasant environment for all. I'm also offended at his implications that
I, as a member, am risking my online safety. Patronising much?

He also overemphasizes the threat of members' personal data getting into the wild.
I certainly have never said anything in PMs that would identify me or anybody I may
have PM'd here.  There's also no way he can or could identify my real name and/or
my home address—he'd probably find my IP within a couple of hundred kilometres,
but that's about it.

In fact, I'd challenge him to find my name and address right now—but he'll knock
back my challenge because he knows he's unable to.  He doesn't have to post it
here of course; a PM would suffice.  But it just won't happen, and because of that
simple challenge failing, it disproves all his claims about the forums' security.

My suggestion to other members is to ignore his rantings and ravings, and for the
moderators and administrators to also ignore his baseless threats, insults, and
belligerent behaviour.

He's just so full of piss and wind—probably some teenaged script-kiddie sweating over
his keyboard in his mom's basement.    Thumbsdown
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 04:55 AM)JesseB Wrote: Possibly worth remembering TTA never was secured. Ever.

What? Yes, it was. TTA had SSL and DeepThought actually knew what he was doing.

(01-24-2019, 04:55 AM)JesseB Wrote: I agree I'd like to see the forum secured for a lot of reasons, but I don't think overt aggression is likely to get the job done. Just sayin. And I'm not sure how many AD staff members are really all that experienced (in securing websites). That and remember an SSL(is free that's just encryption) but the verisign certificate isn't free, and that by itself may be the biggest reason it's not been done yet.

Verisign certificate? What? Cloudflare comes with a free SSL certificate, and then there's also LetsEncrypt. Cost is not a reason not to set up SSL, it's free nowadays, including the certificate.

(01-24-2019, 04:55 AM)JesseB Wrote: Tons of companies let their SSL and certs expire and just never bother to pay to update them. It's never a good idea but cost is a concern and I doubt AD has a huge budget. Sure you could institute your own self signing and encryption, but that's not necessarily going to solve the problem if we're talking about trust issues.

They let it expire because they have no idea what they're doing. Anyone competent can set up a cron job with certbot to automatically renew the certificate every 60 days for free. Sorry dude, but your griping about the supposed cost of SSL rings hollow to me.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 06:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: Vosur  has totally overreacted to any threats he perceives with our site, be they
either legitimate of of little or no concern.  He seems intent on instilling some
sort of self-generated paranoia amongst some other members who may not be as
IT aware as he claims to be, which is unfair.  Most of his comments in this thread
should—at the least—have been made directly to the administrators, rather than
in public.

They were. I tried for months to get the admins to listen, with little success, as you can see.

(01-24-2019, 06:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: He's threatened to attempt to shut us down, and publicly called the administrators
"criminals"—right here in this thread!  These sorts of comments are totally unwarranted,
but Vosur seems to think he knows it all, whereas I'd call him a panic merchant who's
deliberately stirring the pot—for reasons unknown—other than big-noting himself.

His actions have been both inflammatory and disruptive, and personally offensive
to the moderators and administrators who've worked tirelessly to make our forum
a safe and pleasant environment for all.  I'm also offended at his implications that
I, as a member, am risking my online safety.  Patronising much?

That you are risking your online safety by posting on a plaintext forum where the admins are able to read people's supposedly private messages is not a matter of opinion, that's a fact. You may not care about your online privacy much, but I do.

(01-24-2019, 06:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: He also overemphasizes the threat of members' personal data getting into the wild.
I certainly have never said anything in PMs that would identify me or anybody I may
have PM'd here.  There's also no way he can or could identify my real name and/or
my home address—he'd probably find my IP within a couple of hundred kilometres,
but that's about it.

In fact, I'd challenge him to find my name and address right now—but he'll knock
here of course; a PM would suffice.  But it just won't happen, and because of that
simple challenge failing, it disproves all his claims about the forums' security.

Are you challenging me to hack this forum? Yeah, I'll get right on that, dude. Facepalm

(01-24-2019, 06:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: My suggestion to other members is to ignore his rantings and ravings, and for the
moderators and administrators to also ignore his baseless threats, insults, and
belligerent behaviour.

He's just so full of piss and wind—probably some teenaged script-kiddie sweating over
his keyboard in his mom's basement.    Thumbsdown

You know I'm 23, right? Chuckle

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 03:42 AM)Vera Wrote: Also, I AM gonna say it out loud: there have been several DDoS attacks in the last couple of days. Everyone glean from that what you will.

Are you implying that I have the power to DDoS a site? Chuckle

It's amusing to see what kind of fantasies those with no technical acumen dream up in their minds. Tell me, do you even know what a DDoS attack is?

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 04:34 AM)Aliza Wrote:

No, what I actually said is that you have one week's time to implement SSL or else I'll compel you to do so.

SSL certificate

I've waited something like four months, Jerry. How long is a reasonable time to wait for people to implement something that takes five (5) minutes to implement?

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 03:38 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: My takeaway from all of this is that Vosur is angry that the staff rebuffed his offers for technical support and is using flimsy excuses of “data sensitivity” to throw a temper tantrum and threaten to shut down the server over an even more flimsily constructed case that the EU authorities would give a shit about the security standards of a hobby site that collects no money and stores no sensitive personal data.

This isn’t your site, and they’re implementing features on their own timeline. If you aren’t satisfied with the pace of implementation, you’re lodging your complaint in the most outrageously churlish way possible, and are demonstrating for everybody how wise a decision it was for the staff not to bring you on board for support. Your behavior exudes a sense of toxic entitlement; the sheer gall of threatening to shut down the forum. Seriously, dude? What manipulative bullshit, nobody wants a bully having access to power over the forum, and I doubt anybody would want to play in whatever sandbox you would build as a replacement after this exquisite display of ill manners.

Grow up. This is the most childish way to respond to not getting what you want. This is not just about wholesome security concerns, you’ve been doing way too much self-promotion for anybody to believe that.

My offers weren't actually rebuffed, see. Aliza and Mathilda were grateful for my offer of support (look at my rep from them, for one) and were more than happy to enthusiastically accept my help. Only they never followed through on it even after months of waiting.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 07:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 06:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: In fact, I'd challenge him to find my name and address right now—but he'll knock

Are you challenging me to hack this forum? Yeah, I'll get right on that, dude.

Please don't misrepresent my comments.  Nowhere did I even suggest you "hack this forum"
nor would I suggest this to anybody else.  I specifically challenged you to discover my name
and address
, but as I thought, you're unable to do so.  An expected win to me.  Sorry.

PS:  And you'd also be unable to even suss my email.  You're all talk but no walk.    Chuckle
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

SSL certificate
(01-24-2019, 07:48 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 07:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 06:37 AM)SYZ Wrote: In fact, I'd challenge him to find my name and address right now—but he'll knock

Are you challenging me to hack this forum? Yeah, I'll get right on that, dude.

Please don't misrepresent my comments.  Nowhere did I even suggest you "hack this forum"
nor would I suggest this to anybody else.  I specifically challenged you to discover my name
and address
, but as I thought, you're unable to do so.  An expected win to me.  Sorry.

PS:  And you'd also be unable to even suss my email.  You're all talk but no walk.    Chuckle

How would I find out that information any other way? Your e-mail, for one, is only visible to the administrators and anyone who manages to gain access to the forum through illicit means.

Also, I don't know why you think that I'm some kind of elite hacker who can just find out people's personal information on a whim. I never made that claim anywhere.

SSL certificate
As a side note to this: I actually do work in data classification, and to my knowledge this forum is NOT in violation of GDPR in anyway what so ever. I can take a look at the T/C's to confirm if it's needed, but I'm pretty sure that's not what GDPR is all about - to my knowledge everybody here has consented to our information before stored securely (via the T/C's) and as long as the forum doesn't mis-use that information, (which it isnt), then that's enough.

Under GDPR regulations anybody can formally ask for all their data to be removed at any time, and the forum would have to comply.

Just a side note there, during all this "vosur knows how to ddos attack everything" moment we're having.
The following 3 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Mathilda, Tartarus Sauce, Thumpalumpacus