Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

“I find this a fascinating phenomenon: the ability we have to manipulate ourselves so that the foundation of our beliefs is never shaken.”
― Muriel Barbery
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

"God, A Poem

'I didn't exist at Creation,
I didn't exist at the Flood,
And I won't be around for Salvation
To sort out the sheep from the cud-

'Or whatever the phrase is. The fact is
In soteriological terms
I'm a crude existential malpractice
And you are a diet of worms."
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Bucky Ball

Love the "diet of worms" line.

“I do not believe in any religion. I will have nothing to do with immortality. We are miserable enough in this life without speculating on another.” (Lord Byron)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu, Alan V, Full Circle

"The reason the tempter went to Eve first, was that the light of reason shone less brightly in her".
Saint Thomas Aquinas
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu

“When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and the bolts and bars and manacles became dust.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
  • Alan V, Fireball, Full Circle

(03-23-2022, 12:06 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: “When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and the bolts and bars and manacles became dust.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider

(03-23-2022, 07:28 PM)Percie Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 12:06 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: “When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and the bolts and bars and manacles became dust.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)

Yeah, contemporary atheists are much less likely to make that mistake.

(03-23-2022, 09:44 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 07:28 PM)Percie Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 12:06 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: “When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and the bolts and bars and manacles became dust.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)

Yeah, contemporary atheists are much less likely to make that mistake.

Unless they have predictive text.

"Soul" ... definition.
"1. the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.
2. emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance.
"their interpretation lacked soul"
3. The essence of a being".

Fundamentalists take literally that which everyone else understands as metaphor.
They're like literary infants and toddlers.
Test
The following 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Fireball, mordant, Gwaithmir, Vera

“Atheism is what happens when you read the Bible. Christianity is what happens when someone reads it for you.” (Bertrand Russell)  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Full Circle

I rather like this:

Natural Selection
BY ALAN R. SHAPIRO

proceeds by chance
and necessity

becomes nonrandom
through randomness

builds complexity
from simplicity

nurtures consciousness
unconsciously

evolves purposelessly
creatures who demand

purpose
and discover

natural selection

And I *really* love this one:

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Stephen Crane (the one who wrote The Red Badge of Courage)
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Phaedrus, mordant, Full Circle

“The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.” (Thomas Jefferson)  Consider
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Full Circle

[Image: 310579339-483973050444728-1355384093617583868-n.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Full Circle

“Christianity is not in accordance with the cultivated mind; it can only be accepted by suppressing doubts, and by denouncing inquiry as sinful. It is therefore a superstition, and ought to be destroyed.” (W. Winwood Reade)  Consider
  • Full Circle

“Faith is belief without evidence or reason; coincidentally that’s also the definition of delusion.” (Richard Dawkins) [ty Gwaithmir]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Full Circle

“The word of god is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) ever change this.” (Albert Einstein)  Consider
  • Alan V

"Gracias a diós y nuestro señor salvador, fue el diablo el que me enseñó a tocar violin."

"Thanks to God and our Lord Savior, it was the Devil who taught me how to play the violin"

Felipe Ibarra, violinista

(page 130)

Las amas de los violines 'negros'

Dr. Paloma Muñoz (Anthropologist)

PDF: Las almas de los violines negros (unicauca.edu.co)

Boohoo

You could, of course, if you liked, say that there was a superior deity who gave orders to the God who made this world, or could take up the line that some of the gnostics took up—a line which I often thought was a very plausible one—that as a matter of fact this world that we know was made by the devil at a moment when God was not looking. There is a good deal to be said for that, and I am not concerned to refute it.

Bertrand Russell

Why I am not a Christian (1927)

Why I Am Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell - The Bertrand Russell Society (drew.edu)
test
The following 1 user Likes pythagorean's post:
  • Full Circle

(11-03-2023, 03:57 PM)pythagorean Wrote: You could, of course, if you liked, say that there was a superior deity who gave orders to the God who made this world, or could take up the line that some of the gnostics took up—a line which I often thought was a very plausible one—that as a matter of fact this world that we know was made by the devil at a moment when God was not looking. There is a good deal to be said for that, and I am not concerned to refute it.

That's actually historically correct, mythologically.
Yahweh was the 40th (or was it 70th) son of El Elyon in Babylon.
No one really knew where Yahweh came from, until the Royal Library of Ashurbanipal was discovered (near Nineveh) in the 1850's .
In Deuteronomy, it actually says Yahweh was given Israel by a higher god.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • pythagorean

Quote:In Deuteronomy, it actually says Yahweh was given Israel by a higher god.

and Israel was such a shithole that Yahweh must have been the ancient equivalent of Eric Trump to warrant such a worthless province!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Bucky Ball

(11-04-2023, 12:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: That's actually historically correct, mythologically.
Yahweh was the 40th (or was it 70th) son of El Elyon in Babylon.
No one really knew where Yahweh came from, until the Royal Library of Ashurbanipal was discovered (near Nineveh) in the 1850's .
In Deuteronomy, it actually says Yahweh was given Israel by a higher god.

De ahí que, para algunos el diablo a veces es malo y a veces es bueno. "El diablo me da risa", nos comentó Lola Grueso, la maestra de la escuela Dos Ríos de Galíndez, Patía (2013), pero a medida que avanza en la conversación va modificando los conceptos:

----

Hence, for some, the devil is sometimes bad and sometimes good. "The devil makes me laugh," said Lola Grueso, the teacher of the Dos Ríos de Galíndez school in Patía (2013), but as the conversation progresses, she modifies the concepts:

(page 155)

Las almas de los violines 'negros'

Dr. Paloma Muñoz
(Anthropologist)

PDF: Las almas de los violines negros (unicauca.edu.co)

Here's Dr. Paloma Muñoz with Lola:

Con la maestra Lola Grueso- de Patia

test

(Duplicate post deleted)
test

"Doesn't your New Testament say that if your enemy strikes you on the right cheek, offer him the left?"

"Why...I...uh...think that perhaps the phrase was used metaphorically."

Gandhi (3/8) Movie CLIP - Room For Us All (1982) HD

test

"I know a Christian. She drinks blood."

Gandhi (Second train scene)

test

“When I got untethered from the comfort of religion, it wasn’t a loss of faith for me, it was a discovery of self. I had faith that I am capable enough to handle any situation. There’s peace in understanding that I have only one life, here and now, and I’m responsible.” (Brad Pitt)  Consider
  • Alan V, pattylt, Inkubus