Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

[Image: AebJL4oCs1OujpawWxxrCZo6j2DuClzi35JHlCu2...-UL-Yvxjjh]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Alan V

“I do not believe in God. It seems to me that theists of all kinds have very largely failed to make their concept of a deity intelligible; and to the extent that they have made it intelligible, they have given us no reason to think that anything answers to it.” (Alfred Jules Ayer)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V

"The entire history of religion has been a slow escape to fewer gods and eventually there will be none".

Me
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

“The Christian theory is little else than the idolatry of the ancient mythologists, accommodated to the purposes of power and revenue; and yet it remains to Reason and Philosophy to abolish the amphibious fraud.” (Thomas Paine)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

"How much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth decay in His divine system of Creation? What in the world was running through that warped, evil, scatological mind of His when He robbed old people of the power to control their bowel movements?"
Joseph Heller

I really must press on with my rereading (or listening to) Catch-22
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 3 users Like Vera's post:
  • Inkubus, mordant, skyking

Religion is a totalitarian belief. It is the wish to be a slave. It is the desire that there be an unalterable, unchallengeable, tyrannical authority who can convict you of thought crime while you are asleep, who can subject you to total surveillance around the clock every waking and sleeping minute of your life, before you're born and, even worse and where the real fun begins, after you're dead. A celestial North Korea. Who wants this to be true? Who but a slave desires such a ghastly fate? I've been to North Korea. It has a dead man as its president, Kim Jong-Il is only head of the party and head of the army. He's not head of the state. That office belongs to his deceased father, Kim Il-Sung. It's a necrocracy, a thanatocracy. It's one short of a trinity I might add. The son is the reincarnation of the father. It is the most revolting and utter and absolute and heartless tyranny the human species has ever evolved. But at least you can fucking die and leave North Korea!”

- Christopher Hitchens
The following 4 users Like TinyDave's post:
  • brunumb, Gwaithmir, mordant, skyking

“If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not on the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.” (Isaac Asimov)  Consider
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Inkubus, mordant, Dom, brunumb

"No religion is suddenly rejected by any people; it is rather gradually outgrown. None sees a religion die; dead religions are like dead languages and obsolete customs: the decay is long and - like the glacier march - is perceptible only to the careful watcher by comparisons extending over long periods."
Charles Bradlaugh
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 2 users Like Vera's post:
  • Dom, skyking

If we did a good act merely from the love of god, and a be-
lief that it is pleasing to him, whence arises the morality of
the Atheist? It is idle to say as some do, that no such being
exists. We have the same evidence of the fact as of most of
those we act on, to wit, their own affirmations, and their
reasonings in support of them. I have observed indeed
generally that, while in protestant countries the defections
from the Platonic Christianity of the priests is to Deism, in
Catholic countries they are to Atheism. Diderot, Dalembert,
D’Holbach, Condorcet, are known to have been among the
most virtuous of men. Their virtue then must have had
some other foundation than the love of god.

Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Law, June 13, 1814. Adams, Jefferson’s
Extracts, 355–56.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 5 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, skyking, mordant, Gwaithmir

(11-06-2021, 09:27 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: If we did a good act merely from the love of god, and a be-
lief that it is pleasing to him, whence arises the morality of
the Atheist? It is idle to say as some do, that no such being
exists. We have the same evidence of the fact as of most of
those we act on, to wit, their own affirmations, and their
reasonings in support of them. I have observed indeed
generally that, while in protestant countries the defections
from the Platonic Christianity of the priests is to Deism, in
Catholic countries they are to Atheism. Diderot, Dalembert,
D’Holbach, Condorcet, are known to have been among the
most virtuous of men. Their virtue then must have had
some other foundation than the love of god.

Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Law, June 13, 1814. Adams, Jefferson’s
Extracts, 355–56.
To follow this argument, of course, one must be capable of seeing atheists as human beings no different than oneself. If you believe that god so favors you that he has you in his back pocket, and that this constitutes god's stamp of approval on your personal virtue (whether you claim it as your own achievement or practice the humble-brag that you are merely imbued with god's virtue), then you cannot tolerate having any unbeliever in the same class as yourself. No one else can be acknowledged as your equal without diminishing your grand accomplishment.

In this way, conservative Christians convince themselves that atheists are masters of disguise and deception, that any apparent public virtue is nothing but a clever ruse concealing the most vile and malignant of wiles.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Alan V

“It was only when I finally undertook to read the Bible through from beginning to end that I perceived that its depiction of the Lord God─whom I had always viewed as the very embodiment of perfection─was actually that of a monstrous, vengeful tyrant, far exceeding in bloodthirstiness, and insane savagery the depredations of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Attila the Hun, or any other mass murderer of ancient or modern history.” (Steve Allen)  Consider
  • Alan V

(11-06-2021, 06:04 PM)Vera Wrote: "No religion is suddenly rejected by any people; it is rather gradually outgrown. None sees a religion die; dead religions are like dead languages and obsolete customs: the decay is long and - like the glacier march - is perceptible only to the careful watcher by comparisons extending over long periods."
Charles Bradlaugh

At federation in 1901 in Australia 98% of the population were Christian.
In the 2016 census, only 52.2% of the population were Christian, and
in the 2011 census, 62% were Christian. So it's dying at an accelerated
rate here.   I eagerly await the results of this year's census which will
undoubtedly put the Christian numbers well below 50%.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 3 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, brunumb, Cheerful Charlie

"One of the many burdens of the person professing Christianity has always been the odium likely to be heaped upon him by fellow Christians quick to smell out, denounce and punish fraud, hypocrisy and general unworthiness among those who assert the faith. In ruder days, disputes about what constituted a fully qualified Christian often led to sordid quarrels in which the disputants tortured, burned and hanged each other in the conviction that torture, burning and hanging were Christian things to do." (Russell Baker)  Consider
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Cheerful Charlie

"Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and
irreconcilable hatreds than those which spring from any other cause."
- George Washington, letter to Sir Edward Newenham, June 22, 1792

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir

This is probably not the best place for it, just the closest. TweetOfGod just posted, "My ambition is to be the sort of God that atheists are proud to not believe in."

(11-17-2021, 04:45 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: "Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and

"Religion is the greatest fomenter of hatred the world has ever known." (H.L. Mencken)  Consider
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Phaedrus

(12-11-2021, 01:13 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 04:45 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: "Religious controversies are always productive of more acrimony and

"Religion is the greatest fomenter of hatred the world has ever known." (H.L. Mencken)  Consider

"There is no hate like Christian love".
- Anonymous internet meme

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus

“Among theologians, heretics are those who are not backed with a sufficient array of battalions to render them orthodox.” (Voltaire)  Consider
  • Phaedrus

Tweet Of God yesterday

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status...4084686853

Quote:Swearing to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth ON A BIBLE is one of life's great ironies.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Thingymebob, Alan V, Inkubus, Fireball

Oh goody...

[Image: 38e2015c1b2b6304ceb8d6769d7107a187e60025...b15b_1.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Fireball, mordant, Thingymebob, Gwaithmir, Dom

"Strange, but true, that those who have loved God most have loved men least." (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider

Saying that you don't believe in magic but do believe in god is a bit like saying you don't have sex with dogs, except labradors.

- Jimmy Carr

Favorite quotes about a statement of belief about god? Seems familiar. People needing statements of belief about god to get then through the day. Or is that needy people needing?

This atheist doesn't squat about religion. But then again, I don't need to blame others for my stupidity. If and when I am wrong, its on me.

(01-16-2022, 01:10 PM)TinyDave Wrote: Saying that you don't believe in magic but do believe in god is a bit like saying you don't have sex with dogs, except labradors.

- Jimmy Carr

My guess is that carr is talking about a deity and anything else is strawman to him.

“How long will mankind worship a book? How long will it grovel in the dust before ignorant legends of the barbaric past?” (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider