Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

“The doctrine that future happiness depends upon belief is monstrous. It is the infamy of infamies. The notion that faith in Christ is to be rewarded by an eternity of bliss, while a dependence upon reason, observation and experience merits everlasting pain, is too absurd for refutation, and can be relieved only by that unhappy mixture of insanity and ignorance, called 'faith.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Minimalist

Stole this one from Facebook: "I'm thinking it's not that most democrats don't believe in God, it's just that we quit burning people at the stake quite a while back."
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

“Most of what discredits Christianity comes from within Christianity. You don’t have to go outside of religion to tear it apart.” (Dan Barker)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Kim

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 5 users Like Vera's post:
  • Gwaithmir, skyking, Phaedrus, Deesse23, Kim

“Fear of God is not the beginning of wisdom. The fear of God is the death of wisdom. Skepticism and doubt lead to study and investigation, and investigation is the beginning of wisdom.” (Clarence Darrow)   Consider
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • skyking, Phaedrus, Deesse23, Cheerful Charlie, Kim

[Image: 205385774_116602720670138_51856281614490...e=60E2A996]

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • brunumb, Gwaithmir

“To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.” (Isaac Asimov)  Consider
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, Dom

[Image: 207565344_983368112398878_39627245965347...e=60E6700A]

The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Kim

(07-04-2021, 01:46 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: [Image: 207565344_983368112398878_39627245965347...e=60E6700A]
It is ironic that Buck's parents where Christian missionaries of the Presbyterian persuasion. To their credit, they strictly taught that the Chinese were our equals, refusing to label them "heathen" as was common in early 20th century Christianity. Nevertheless the missionary boarding school she attended in China as a child was rife with racist attitudes and one has to have admiration for Buck in that she did not succumb to it but, indeed, went rather far beyond her parents and supported many causes that did not see the light of day in the general public until modern times.

Sadly, she fell under the spell of a Svengali in her later years and unwisely entrusted her affairs to him. Only after her death was her family able to wrest control from him.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Phaedrus, Kim

“Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?”
― Carl Sagan
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Alan V, Kim, Phaedrus, brunumb, Dom

“I am an atheist...I regard religion with fear and suspicion. It’s not enough to say that I don’t believe in God. I actually regard the system as distressing: I am offended by some of the things said in the Bible and the Qur’an, and I refute them.” (Emma Thompson)  Consider
The following 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Kim, Phaedrus, brunumb, Minimalist, Dom

“All Dogs Go To Heaven? Sorry, kids. It's only the dogs who've accepted Christ.”
― Stephen Colbert, I Am America

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Kim, Dom

"Education isn't something you can finish." -- Isaac Asimov
The following 4 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Inkubus, Kim, Gwaithmir, Dom

“Science adjusts its views based upon what is observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.” (Tim Minchin)  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

In response to Flew's falsification principle, British philosopher R. M. Hare
told a parable in an attempt to demonstrate that religious language is
meaningful. Hare described a lunatic who believes that all university
professors want to kill him; no amount of evidence of kindly professors
will dissuade him from this view. Hare called this kind of unfalsifiable
conviction a "blik", and argued that it formed an unfalsifiable, yet
still meaningful, worldview. He proposed that all people – religious and
non-religious – hold bliks, and that they cannot be unseated by empirical evidence.
Nevertheless, he maintained that a blik is meaningful because it forms the basis of a
person's understanding of the world.[69]
Hare believed that some bliks are correct and others are not, though he
did not propose a method of distinguishing between the two.[70].

What's your blik?

(10-06-2021, 02:50 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

Bad link.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

non-religious – hold bliks, and that they cannot be unseated by empirical evidence.
Nevertheless, he maintained that a blik is meaningful because it forms the basis of a

What's your blik?

If all bliks were created (ha!) equal we wouldn't have sent a man to the moon.

So while we do form our own personal narratives and worldviews and what have you, they *are* to one degree or another, shaped by empirical evidence and certainly can be (and regularly are) unseated by it, both on an individual and societal level. And yes, some are, for lack of better word, better than others. Otherwise we would still be living in caves (if we ever did, just a figure of speech really), eating things that can kill us (what? My blik says deathcaps are totally fine and delish) and doing all sorts of things that EMPIRICAL evidence is telling us is wrong.

Then again, maybe my own blik is on the blink Angel2
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 

(10-06-2021, 03:08 PM)Dānu Wrote:

Bad link.

Wikipedia  - Problem Of Religious language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of...s_language

Sorry about that.

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dānu

(10-06-2021, 03:10 PM)Vera Wrote:

What's your blik?

If all bliks were created (ha!) equal we wouldn't have sent a man to the moon.

So while we do form our own personal narratives and worldviews and what have you, they *are* to one degree or another, shaped by empirical evidence and certainly can be (and regularly are) unseated by it, both on an individual and societal level. And yes, some are, for lack of better word, better than others. Otherwise we would still be living in caves (if we ever did, just a figure of speech really), eating things that can kill us (what? My blik says deathcaps are totally fine and delish) and doing all sorts of things that EMPIRICAL evidence is telling us is wrong.

Then again, maybe my own blik is on the blink Angel2

At a forum far, far away, we have been having this debate with theists.  We skeptics need evidence.  Good evidence, not oinoions from long dead theologians with opinions, but good solid evidence.  For my efforts I get called a positivist, accused of scientism, and intellectual inferiority. "Go read a book!" and "Learn some metaphysics!".  And lots of name calling.

A fun time is had by all.

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V

From Snopes. Glurge

Glurge Gallery

What is glurge? Think of it as chicken soup with several cups of sugar mixed in: It’s supposed to be a method of delivering a remedy for what ails you by adding sweetening to make the cure more appealing, but the result is more often a sickly-sweet concoction that induces hyperglycemic fits. In ordinary language, glurge is the sending of inspirational (and supposedly “true”) tales, ones that often conceal much darker meanings than the uplifting moral lessons they purport to offer or undermine their messages by fabricating and distorting historical fact in the guise of offering a “true story.” Many of us, it seems, cannot overcome the urge to glurge.

Do you have enough glurge in your life yet?

"Accused of scientism?"

Plead guilty and invite them to fuck off.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Vera, Inkubus

(10-06-2021, 04:33 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: scientism, and intellectual inferiority.

[Image: 2513526iE013DCA8EF028B7A?v=v2]

Quote: "Learn some metaphysics!".

[Image: the-office-stanley.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Inkubus

(10-06-2021, 04:54 PM)Minimalist Wrote: "Accused of scientism?"

Plead guilty and invite them to fuck off.

Science demonstrates things, discovers things and explains things.  Theology and metaphysics just lays there.  This causes great squeals of outrage.  I am told pompously that science starts with metaphysics.  And a little name calling.  I point out only if it is good metaphysics, not bad metaphysics.  With bad metaphysics one can "prove" Christianity, Mormonism, Islam, Wicca, or Scientology.

One good telescope is worth 1 million metaphysicians as far as science is concerned.  More squeals of outrage.

"This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere! Tell me again how sheep bladders can be employed to prevent earthquakes!"
 - Monty Python - In Search Of The Holy Grail

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Inkubus, brunumb

(10-06-2021, 06:45 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Science demonstrates things, discovers things and explains things.  Theology and metaphysics just lays there.  This causes great squeals of outrage.  I am told pompously that science starts with metaphysics.  And a little name calling.  I point out only if it is good metaphysics, not bad metaphysics.  With bad metaphysics one can "prove" Christianity, Mormonism, Islam, Wicca, or Scientology.

One good telescope is worth 1 million metaphysicians as far as science is concerned.  More squeals of outrage.

"This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere! Tell me again how sheep bladders can be employed to prevent earthquakes!"
 - Monty Python - In Search Of The Holy Grail

[Image: quote-metaphysics-is-a-restaurant-where-...-26-44.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Vera's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie, Inkubus, brunumb, Gwaithmir

[Image: d2c063a7c06b45b02876e31b77eea337.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • skyking