Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

Quote:CNN

Jonathan Steingard, frontman for the Christian rock band Hawk Nelson, has gone public with some personal news. In a recent lengthy post on his Instagram account, the singer shared that he no longer believes in God.

The following 4 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Gwaithmir, skyking, 2020hindsight, Nursey

Wow good for him. He's going to get a ton of shit for that I bet.
The following 4 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Alan V, Finite Monkeys, Gwaithmir, Nursey

“The story of the resurrection of Jesus is the absolute worst example anyone can possibly give for the reliability of the Bible. And I’m not exaggerating. Let me tell you why I’m not exaggerating. Many stories in the Bible are given once or twice; the resurrection story is given five times. You can compare them. Scholars have never been able to reconcile those contradictory accounts of the resurrection of Jesus.” (Dan Barker)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Cheerful Charlie, M.Linoge, skyking, mordant

A Mormon told me that they don't drink coffee. I said, "A cup of coffee every day gives you wonderful benefits." He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, it keeps you from being Mormon ..."

Emo Phillips
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 8 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir, Mr Greene, brunumb, M.Linoge, skyking, Minimalist, trdsf

"God is always invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things you do not understand. Now when you finally discover how something works, you get some laws which are taking away from God; you don’t need him anymore. But you need him for the other mysteries. So therefore you leave him to create the universe because we have not figured it out yet; you need him for understanding those things which you do not believe the laws will explain, such as consciousness, or why you live to a certain length of time---life and death---stuff like that. God is always associated with those things you do not understand." (Richard Feynman)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, brunumb, M.Linoge, skyking, TonyAnkle, Cheerful Charlie

"Mine is a most peaceable disposition.  My wishes are a humble cottage
with a thatched roof, but a good bed, good food, the freshest milk and
butter, flowers before my window, and a few fine trees before my door;
and if God wants to make my happiness complete, He will grant me the
joy of seeing some six or seven of my enemies hanging from those
trees."

- Heinrich Heine

The following 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, brunumb, Dānu, Gwaithmir

Theology is the finding of bad reasons for things we are going to believe
anyway.

G.E. Moore.

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dānu

(11-23-2020, 05:00 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: "Mine is a most peaceable disposition.  My wishes are a humble cottage
with a thatched roof, but a good bed, good food, the freshest milk and
butter, flowers before my window, and a few fine trees before my door;
and if God wants to make my happiness complete, He will grant me the
joy of seeing some six or seven of my enemies hanging from those
trees."

- Heinrich Heine

[Image: quote-heinrich-heine-so-loosened-the-cor...-51-38.jpg]

Quote:Christianity - and that is its greatest merit - has somewhat mitigated that brutal Germanic love of war, but it could not destroy it. Should that subduing talisman, the cross, be shattered, the frenzied madness of the ancient warriors, that insane Berserk rage of which Nordic bards have spoken and sung so often, will once more burst into flame. This talisman is fragile, and the day will come when it will collapse miserably. Then the ancient stony gods will rise from the forgotten debris and rub the dust of a thousand years from their eyes, and finally Thor with his giant hammer will jump up and smash the Gothic cathedrals. ... Do not smile at the visionary who anticipates the same revolution in the realm of the visible as has taken place in the spiritual. Thought precedes action as lightning precedes thunder. German thunder is of true Germanic character; it is not very nimble, but rumbles along ponderously. Yet, it will come and when you hear a crashing such as never before has been heard in the world's history, then you know that the German thunderbolt has fallen at last. At that uproar the eagles of the air will drop dead, and lions in the remotest deserts of Africa will hide in their royal dens. A play will be performed in Germany which will make the French Revolution look like an innocent idyll.

~ Heinrich Heine, 1834
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Cheerful Charlie, Gwaithmir

Thomas Aquinas :
"In order that the happiness of the saints may be more delightful to them and that they may render more copious thanks to God for it, they are allowed to see perfectly the sufferings of the damned. . .So that they may be urged the more to praise God. . .The saints in heaven know distinctly all that happens. . .to the damned". Summa Part 3, Supplement, Question XCIV, “Of the relations of the Saints Towards the Damned,” First Article, "Whether the Blessed in Heaven Will See the Sufferings of the Damned"

“The same fire” (which he decides to be material) " torments the damned in hell and the just in purgatory.The least pain in purgatory exceeds the greatest in this life." Summa Theo. Suppl. Qu. 100, acts. 2, n. 3.

Tertullian
“At that greatest of all spectacles, that last and eternal judgment how shall I admire, how laugh, how rejoice, how exult, when I behold so many proud monarchs groaning in the lowest abyss of darkness; so many magistrates liquefying in fiercer flames than they ever kindled against the Christians; so many sages philosophers blushing in red-hot fires with their deluded pupils; so many tragedians more tuneful in the expression of their own sufferings; so many dancers tripping more nimbly from anguish then ever before from applause.”

“What a spectacle. . .when the world. . .and its many products, shall be consumed in one great flame! How vast a spectacle then bursts upon the eye! What there excites my admiration? What my derision? Which sight gives me joy? As I see. . .illustrious monarchs. . . groaning in the lowest darkness, Philosophers. . .as fire consumes them! Poets trembling before the judgment-seat of. . .Christ! I shall hear the tragedians, louder-voiced in their own calamity; view play-actors. . .in the dissolving flame; behold wrestlers, not in their gymnasia, but tossing in the fiery billows. . .What inquisitor or priest in his munificence will bestow on you the favor of seeing and exulting in such things as these? Yet even now we in a measure have them by faith in the picturings of imagination.” De Spectaculis, Chapter XXX
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dānu, Cheerful Charlie

"When the spiritual teacher and his disciples began their evening
meditation, a cat who lived in the monastery made such noise that it
distracted them. One day the teacher ordered that the cat be tied up
during the evening practice. Years later, when the teacher died, the
cat continued to be tied up during the meditation session. And when
the cat eventually died, another cat was brought to the monastery and
tied up. Centuries later, learned descendants of the spiritual teacher
wrote scholarly treatises about the religious significance of tying up
a cat for meditation practice."

- from Zen and Taoist Stories

• Dānu, brunumb, Bucky Ball, Tres Leches

“When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts and bars and manacles became dust.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Chas, brunumb

“I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof, and in the case of god, as in the case of the composition of the moon, this has shifted radically. God used to be the best explanation we'd got, and we've now got vastly better ones. God is no longer an explanation of anything, but has instead become something that would itself need an insurmountable amount of explaining. So I don't think that being convinced that there is no god is as irrational or arrogant a point of view as belief that there is. I don't think the matter calls for even-handedness at all.”
― Douglas Adams

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Cavebear, Gwaithmir, brunumb

(12-09-2020, 02:19 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: “I don't accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me 'Well, you haven't been there, have you? You haven't seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese is equally valid' - then I can't even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof, and in the case of god, as in the case of the composition of the moon, this has shifted radically. God used to be the best explanation we'd got, and we've now got vastly better ones. God is no longer an explanation of anything, but has instead become something that would itself need an insurmountable amount of explaining. So I don't think that being convinced that there is no god is as irrational or arrogant a point of view as belief that there is. I don't think the matter calls for even-handedness at all.”
― Douglas Adams

Hear hear! He put it very well.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Until every soul is freely permitted to investigate every book, and creed, and dogma for itself, the world cannot be free. Mankind will be enslaved until there is mental grandeur enough to allow each man to have his thought and say. This earth will be a paradise when men can, upon all these questions differ, and yet grasp each other's hands as friends. It is amazing to me that a difference of opinion upon subjects that we know nothing with certainty about, should make us hate, persecute, and despise each other. Why a difference of opinion upon predestination, or the trinity, should make people imprison and burn each other seems beyond the comprehension of man; and yet in all countries where Christians have existed, they have destroyed each other to the exact extent of their power. Why should a believer in God hate an atheist? Surely the atheist has not injured God, and surely he is human, capable of joy and pain, and entitled to all the rights of man. Would it not be far better to treat this atheist, at least, as well as he treats us?" (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Cavebear, brunumb, 2020hindsight, Inkubus

Here lies poor Johnnie Kongapod,
Have mercy on him, gracious God,
As he would do if he was God,
And you were Johnnie Kongapod.

- Abraham Lincoln

• Little Lunch, Dānu, Gwaithmir, skyking

If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider

The four stages of life

(1) You believe in Santa Claus.
(2) You don’t believe in Santa Claus.
(3) You are Santa Claus.
(4) You look like Santa Claus.

—Red Green,

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • mordant, Little Lunch, skyking

“After your death, you will be what you were before your birth.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer

• Little Lunch, skyking

(12-19-2020, 02:15 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: The four stages of life

(1) You believe in Santa Claus.
(2) You don’t believe in Santa Claus.
(3) You are Santa Claus.
(4) You look like Santa Claus.

—Red Green,

I love the Red Green show. :-)
The following 1 user Likes Little Lunch's post:
  • Bucky Ball

“Moreover, those who argue that out of nothing nothing comes seem perfectly content with the quixotic notion that somehow God can get around this. But once again, if one requires that the notion of true nothingness requires not even the potential for existence, then surely God cannot work his wonders, because if he does cause existence from nonexistence, there must have been the potential for existence. To simply argue that God can do what nature cannot is to argue that supernatural potential for existence is somehow different from regular natural potential for existence. But this seems an arbitrary semantic distinction designed by those who have decided in advance (as theologians are wont to do) that the supernatural (i.e., God) must exist, so they define their philosophical ideas (once again completely divorced from any empirical basis) to exclude anything but the possibility of God.” (Lawrence M. Krauss)  Consider
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dānu

Organized religion sooner or later leads to mass graves.
- Stephen King -
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Gwaithmir

“A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes.”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein

• Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

Isn't that what Jacques Derrida does?
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

-Richard Dawkins-
The following 3 users Like TonyAnkle's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir, SYZ

“We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid.” (Christopher Hitchens)  Consider
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, TonyAnkle, mordant