Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Quotes about Atheism, Agnosticism, And Religion

Science adjusts its views based on what’s observed. Faith is
the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved.

—Tim Minchin (Australian comedic minstrel)
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 5 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus, mordant, Minimalist, Gwaithmir, brunumb

“The problem with faith is that it is really a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason, why you do not have to give reasons, for what you believe.” (Sam Harris)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, Inkubus, mordant, skyking

“The trouble was that he was talking in philosophy but they were listening in gibberish.”
― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

“The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible.” (Mark Twain)  Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus

(02-11-2021, 01:16 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: “The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible.” (Mark Twain)  Consider

So many conservatives like attributing certain people to quotes when those people never produced those quotes, and Mark Twain is one of them. I never know if the quote is really from that person or not.
[Image: 8a487e2d72e959c458857f1b72271166.gif]

(02-11-2021, 01:18 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 01:16 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote: “The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible.” (Mark Twain)  Consider

So many conservatives like attributing certain people to quotes when those people never produced those quotes, and Mark Twain is one of them. I never know if the quote is really from that person or not.

I can't cite the exact source of that quote, but as I recall, Hal Holbrook used it in his long-running stage show Mark Twain Tonight!

The church is near but the way is icy. The pub is far but I will be careful. -- Russian Proverb

The following 5 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dānu, jerry mcmasters, Phaedrus, skyking, Gwaithmir

(02-21-2021, 11:49 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: The church is near but the way is icy. The pub is far but I will be careful. -- Russian Proverb

Apropos of nothing, this triggered a memory of a comedy routine I saw once that referred to a particularly snooty church as "The First Church of the Frigidaire ... where many are cold, but few are frozen." (a humorous perversion of the Biblical aphorism, "many are called, but few are chosen").
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, skyking

"We do not wish to be forgiven, but we wish Christians to so act that we will not have to forgive them. If all will admit that all have an equal right to think, then the question is forever solved; but as long as organized and powerful churches, pretending to hold the keys of heaven and hell, denounce every person as an outcast and criminal who thinks for himself and denies their authority, the world will be filled with hatred and suffering. To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all the creeds.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus, mordant

"The astrolabe of the mysteries of God is love."
Rumi
[Image: sea-stones-whimsy-7-sm.jpg]

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this.” (Albert Einstein)  Consider
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • mordant, brunumb, skyking

"Ours is an age of exhausted whoredom, groping for its God."
- James Joyce

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir

“The Bible has driven reason from the minds of millions. It has made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes. The instant we admit that a book is too sacred to be doubted or even reasoned about, we are mental serfs.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)  Consider
The following 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Inkubus, mordant, brunumb, GenesisNemesis