Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mafia Game #1 - Sign up thread for Simple Vanilla

What's the difference between the Mafia, and the Government?
One of em's organized! Wink

If you need to run the numbers, add me to the sum! Vinsent
The following 4 users Like TheGulegon's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Joods, Smercury44, Aroura

(11-27-2018, 05:30 PM)mlmooney89 Wrote: How many are you running this game with? If you haven't reached your limit I will play.

No limit. I figured if there are those who want to play and those who want to watch. Someone also asked if we could wait until after the break was over. Since it's not really a complicated game, just vanilla, it's a good game to start with here. We have a few newbies who want to play.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.

Unless there are more players, I will start this game Monday, December 3rd at around 3pm Eastern Standard Time.

I am happy to take suggestions as to what other times I could start, but that's the time that works best for me. I can be flexible though.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 3 users Like Joods's post:
  • Smercury44, Paleophyte, Aroura

I'm thinking that considering this is an introductory game, the more experienced players may want to make the effort to explain strategies to the new players. The introductory games on mafiascum do that. They have a few experienced players join to act as coaches.

Although looking at the list almost all of us have played before anyway.
The following 4 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Joods, mlmooney89, Aroura

Generally, when we have a new player start, they are given a lot of help in game. They can ask all sorts of questions that everyone usually answers. It's also a good way to get the game going with dialogue and stuff.
      Christianity: 
The following 2 users Like Joods's post:
  • mlmooney89, EvieTheAvocado

(11-27-2018, 08:10 PM)Joods Wrote: Unless there are more players, I will start this game Monday, December 3rd at around 3pm Eastern Standard Time.

I am happy to take suggestions as to what other times I could start, but that's the time that works best for me. I can be flexible though.

How vital is the timing of events during the 24 hour (Real Time) cycle? I get off work about 4 PM EST, so I'll be active evenings and can pop in briefly in the AM and noon.

(11-27-2018, 11:08 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 08:10 PM)Joods Wrote: Unless there are more players, I will start this game Monday, December 3rd at around 3pm Eastern Standard Time.

How vital is the timing of events during the 24 hour (Real Time) cycle? I get off work about 4 PM EST, so I'll be active evenings and can pop in briefly in the AM and noon.

Generally things can move quickly in the hour before the end of the day phase. I would be happy to move it to 6 or 7pm EST if that fits better for you?
      Christianity: 

I suspect that evening might be better for a few of us in that case. 6 or 7 PM EST works for me.

I'll sign up, but you have to teach me the game.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Smercury44, Joods, Mathilda, vulcanlogician, Aroura

(11-28-2018, 03:21 AM)Aliza Wrote: I'll sign up, but you have to teach me the game.

Okay Smile

I suggest that you try to look at a game or two from the mafiascum website and check it out.
      Christianity: 

Oh, they have past games on there. Interesting. I need to check it out.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 3 users Like c172's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Joods, Aroura

(11-28-2018, 03:36 AM)Joods Wrote: I suggest that you try to look at a game or two from the mafiascum website and check it out.

I have no problem taking some extra time to help walk people through the game as we play. But the veterans need to make sure they are active on D1 (forming wagons etc.) so we can show the newcomers how it's done. It's also a good way to earn their trust, which I may or may not end up deserving  Angel

PS: We need a sinister devil emoji. The angel does the trick when used ironically, but it didn't quite get the vibe I was goin' for. (And girl devil looks like she hardly gives a fuck.)
The following 3 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Mathilda, Joods, Smercury44

(11-28-2018, 04:26 AM)c172 Wrote: Oh, they have past games on there. Interesting. I need to check it out.

Dude, it would be awesome sign up for this game. We'll show you how to play. Reading past games is good preparation, but experience is by far the best teacher.
The following 3 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Mathilda, Joods, Aroura

(11-28-2018, 03:21 AM)Aliza Wrote: I'll sign up, but you have to teach me the game.

Excellent! The only real way to learn it is to play it. And this is why the first game we run here will have no particular flavour and be as basic as possible.
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Joods, EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44

Yeah! Sign up or be lynched!!!
      Christianity: 

If there's enough interest, I may or may not have two scum groups instead of one. Generally, the number of town far outweigh scum only because scum already know who each other are and therefore have a slight advantage over town. However, if we get enough people to where I would have 4 scum, I might just split them up into teams of two each to make it more interesting.
      Christianity: 

@Aliza

We never go easy on anyone in this game ... except if they're still learning the ropes. So you're in luck Wink

Easy as in ... giving the benefit of the doubt if someone doesn't understand something (when you become more experienced at the game you'll no longer get such benefit of the doubt). Not gonna try any less hard to win as that goes against the rules of the game of course.

@Joods

If you do end up making two scum teams ... I take it everything else will still be vanilla? Nothing has to be de-vanillaized in order to make two-scum teams right? Even if it is a little harder to balance two than one.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Aliza, Joods

@EvieTheAvocado Yes. All town will still be vanilla. And as always neither scum team will know who the other team is. But this is only if there is enough players for me to do this. Anything less than 12 and it will be one team.
      Christianity: 
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

Bumping this thread.
      Christianity: 
  • EvieTheAvocado

Any dates set yet for what day we'll start?
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

Yes. I will start the game Monday, December 3rd at 5pm EST. It works well and I have only received feedback about that from one person, so I'm going with this time.
      Christianity: 
  • EvieTheAvocado

Damn, Joods. I have to drop out. Sorry if that inconveniences you. Got some RL stuff to deal with. There's just no way I can play.

(11-29-2018, 05:51 PM)Joods Wrote: Yes. I will start the game Monday, December 3rd at 5pm EST. It works well and I have only received feedback about that from one person, so I'm going with this time.

Show ContentSpoiler:
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • Joods

(11-29-2018, 06:02 PM)vulcanlogician Wrote: Damn, Joods. I have to drop out. Sorry if that inconveniences you. Got some RL stuff to deal with. There's just no way I can play.

I completely understand. If you find that you can rejoin before I start the game on Monday, send me a PM so I can put you back in. 

Heart
      Christianity: 
  • vulcanlogician

(11-29-2018, 05:51 PM)Joods Wrote: Yes. I will start the game Monday, December 3rd at 5pm EST. It works well and I have only received feedback about that from one person, so I'm going with this time.

This is fine for me Smile

Although I am busy on Mondays now, I'm not busy at that time as I do my English course during the day and 5pm EST is nighttime for me Smile