Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dark matter hurricane is headed our way

According to a recent paper, the Earth is caught directly in the crosshairs of a cosmic hurricane. A swarm of nearly 100 stars, accompanied by an even greater amount of dark matter, is aimed directly at our stellar neighborhood and there's nothing we can do to stop it; in fact, the vanguard is already upon us. This sounds like a perfect summer blockbuster movie, starring The Rock and Chris Pratt, or maybe Scarlett Johansson and Charlize Theron.

Except this is for real. But is it a danger? Well, actually, no. Not at all. But it's potentially incredibly fascinating, with lots of interesting scientific interconnections. So, what is really going on?

The story starts last April, when the Gaia satellite announced the locations and trajectories of 2 billion stars in the vicinity of the Milky Way surrounding our sun. They released the data to the public.

This is pretty cool.

Details here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/opinions/...7-86129577
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 13 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, unfogged, Aliza, Kim, Alan V, Marozz, Joods, Deesse23, Paleophyte, vulcanlogician, Vera, jimhabegger, Mathilda

(11-21-2018, 03:33 PM)Dom Wrote: According to a recent paper, the Earth is caught directly in the crosshairs of a cosmic hurricane. A swarm of nearly 100 stars, accompanied by an even greater amount of dark matter, is aimed directly at our stellar neighborhood and there's nothing we can do to stop it; in fact, the vanguard is already upon us. This sounds like a perfect summer blockbuster movie, starring The Rock and Chris Pratt, or maybe Scarlett Johansson and Charlize Theron.

Except this is for real. But is it a danger? Well, actually, no. Not at all. But it's potentially incredibly fascinating, with lots of interesting scientific interconnections. So, what is really going on?

The story starts last April, when the Gaia satellite announced the locations and trajectories of 2 billion stars in the vicinity of the Milky Way surrounding our sun. They released the data to the public.

This is pretty cool.

Details here:

I christen thee... Florence

So right now, Cosmic Hurricane Florence approaches.

This is just really cool .. One of the 'stellar streams' is the remnants of dwarf galaxy that collided with the Milky Way and got consumed.

Maybe it's back for revenge
The following 4 users Like Cypher44's post:
  • Dom, Kim, Joods, TheGentlemanBastard

Meh.

Panic

[Image: monty-python-run-away.jpg]
The following 3 users Like unfogged's post:
  • Dom, Deesse23, JesseB

Sweet! I want to see what effect, if any, the excessive dark matter will produce.
Maybe it's: Rapture Time, Muthufuckas!! Shy

Oh this is totally cool! I wish my dad was still around to see this. He worked for NASA.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • skyking

It better not be like the ending in Melancholia

(11-21-2018, 03:42 PM)Cypher44 Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 03:33 PM)Dom Wrote: According to a recent paper, the Earth is caught directly in the crosshairs of a cosmic hurricane. A swarm of nearly 100 stars, accompanied by an even greater amount of dark matter, is aimed directly at our stellar neighborhood and there's nothing we can do to stop it; in fact, the vanguard is already upon us. This sounds like a perfect summer blockbuster movie, starring The Rock and Chris Pratt, or maybe Scarlett Johansson and Charlize Theron.

This is pretty cool.

Details here:

I christen thee... Florence

So right now, Cosmic Hurricane Florence approaches.

This is just really cool .. One of the 'stellar streams' is the remnants of dwarf galaxy that collided with the Milky Way and got consumed.

Maybe it's back for revenge

I think this is more a case of galactic indigestion.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Cypher44

Bruce Willis will take care of this. 
Pay no attention.
Test

Giant space goat!
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!