Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Podcasts!
Lightbulb 
Podcasts!
I listen to numerous podcasts while I drive at work. I also listen while simply sitting around relaxing. I'll frequently find some new tidbit of interesting information and share it with others stating, "Oh, I heard this on _____ podcast, the other day." I often end up researching further something I heard, too.

While many are simply entertaining, I feel like they help to keep my mind sharp. If anyone is interested in sharing something heard on a podcast or, feel like turning anyone on to a new one or, one they might be obsessed with Wink ... feel free to use this thread.

At the moment, this week's episode of hThis American Life, really caught me ...

But That's What Happened - Stories from several different women in unsettling situations who, when they tried to explain there was something wrong, were advised those situations weren't unsettling - they just "didn't understand".

This show is standard, interesting, & informative TAL fare but, the first story ...
The Old Man on My Shoulder ByElna Baker

When producer Elna Baker was a kid, adults told her to go into small rooms with adult men and talk about sex things. Regularly. It was so routine for her that she barely thought to talk about it. Until recently... when she started calling other women who did the same thing.(35 minutes)

This particular story is about Mormons and what they put their kids through. And how it seriously fucks with their heads, even later in life. It concludes with a Mormon apologist guy telling why this shit is "important" to that culture.
Yep.

Kinda made my stomach turn. Dodgy

I think I'll seek safety in one of my gruesome true crime podcasts. Shy

(TAL is available to stream now, with new episodes ready for download after 7pm Sunday nights)

Podcasts!
I don't listen to too many podcasts, but I like the format. Ones I like are Nos Audietis (Seattle Sounders FC) and Breathe In, a cystic fibrosis podcast by Gunnar Esiason (son of Boomer) and a couple young women, all with CF. The women are the "Salty Cysters".
https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-podcast
http://www.gunnaresiason.com/podcast/
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • Kim

Podcasts!
I looooove podcasts. I don’t listen to the radio anymore. My favorites:

Skeptics Guide to the Universe - I love the science talk. They are also very good at cutting through the noise and discussing topics without bias, mostly because they’re so aware of how biases can affect certain topics.

Radiolab, Reply All, and Invisibila often have really interesting deep dives on specific topics that are fascinating.

Spontaneanation and Comedy Bang Bang for my comedy love.

Risk is a storytelling podcast. I love hearing people tell real world stories. Some are tough to listen to, but you learn so much about other people’s experiences.

NPR Pop Culture happy hour is one of my most favorites. The panel of hosts are delightful, and I love pop culture. Perfect for me.

Ask Me Another and Go Fact Yourself are fun trivia podcasts.

Then occasionally I try and find some good fictional story podcasts like Homecoming or Deadly Manners.

One I don’t listen to often enough because you really have to be paying attention is Levar Burton Reads. That man is a gift. He reads short stories.
[Image: 320-C6-ED7-97-CD-4-AB2-A60-A-759-A45-FB7-FE8.jpg]
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 2 users Like Smercury44's post:
  • Kim, Alan V

Podcasts!
I listen to a few:

The Weekly Planet - It's a comic book/movie/tv show/games related podcast, hosted by two Aussie who talk shit and have a laugh. Lots of reviews of movies and episode on related (for example, this week is on the Rocky Movies, in prep for Creed 2) and other themed episodes like character fights (hero vs hero, villain vs villain, other etc). Generally I find it funnier that it is informative in all honesty, which for me is awesome as I catch up on any movie news I missed, sometimes learn a thing or two from the segments and otherwise mostly laugh at two guys talking. 

Infinite Monkey Cage - Science/comedy podcast featuring British Physicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince. Every episode has a theme where they have numerous scientists on, and other comedians, to talk about various aspects of science/it's subjects.  Interestingly enough, they often do these shows featuring a "theology corner" which will feature one or more clergy members to chime in on their thoughts also. So far, any person in said corner has so far been very much "pro-science" where their beliefs come into play, so it's nice to see that side of things also.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Kim

Podcasts!
(11-12-2018, 11:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: I listen to a few:

The Weekly Planet - It's a comic book/movie/tv show/games related podcast, hosted by two Aussie who talk shit and have a laugh. Lots of reviews of movies and episode on related (for example, this week is on the Rocky Movies, in prep for Creed 2) and other themed episodes like character fights (hero vs hero, villain vs villain, other etc). Generally I find it funnier that it is informative in all honesty, which for me is awesome as I catch up on any movie news I missed, sometimes learn a thing or two from the segments and otherwise mostly laugh at two guys talking.

Infinite Monkey Cage - Science/comedy podcast featuring British Physicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince. Every episode has a theme where they have numerous scientists on, and other comedians, to talk about various aspects of science/it's subjects.  Interestingly enough, they often do these shows featuring a "theology corner" which will feature one or more clergy members to chime in on their thoughts also. So far, any person in said corner has so far been very much "pro-science" where their beliefs come into play, so it's nice to see that side of things also.

I love Infinite Monkey Cage! It's cool that it's done with an audience, too. The science is great, the shows are relevant, and I always learn something new, along with having a few laughs. It's refreshing!

There's another science podcast I listen to called, StarTalk Radio hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson with comedian Chuck Nice to make things light. Like Infinite Monkey Cage, they talk science, et al but, they have more of a simple interview type structure with guests and listeners get to ask science questions & participate. It's pretty cool.

You mentioned you listen to a comic book related podcast ... this past week StarTalk went to Comic Con in NYC!

StarTalk @ NY Comic Con: It’s About Time!
Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts a wibbly wobbly, timey wimey evening of time travel, quantum states, and wormholes recorded live at NY Comic Con 2018. Featuring Chuck Nice, theoretical physicist Brian Greene, and the Impractical Jokers’ James “Murr” Murray.

Might be something to check out. Shy

Podcasts!
(11-10-2018, 07:26 PM)Kim Wrote: I listen to numerous podcasts while I drive at work.  I also listen while simply sitting around relaxing.  I'll frequently find some new tidbit of interesting information and share it with others stating, "Oh, I heard this on _____ podcast, the other day."  I often end up researching further something I heard, too.  

While many are simply entertaining, I feel like they help to keep my mind sharp.  If anyone is interested in sharing something heard on a podcast or, feel like turning anyone on to a new one or, one they might be obsessed with  Wink  ... feel free to use this thread.

At the moment, this week's episode of hThis American Life, really caught me ...

But That's What Happened - Stories from several different women in unsettling situations who, when they tried to explain there was something wrong, were advised those situations weren't unsettling - they just "didn't understand".

This show is standard, interesting, & informative TAL fare but, the first story ...
The Old Man on My Shoulder  ByElna Baker

When producer Elna Baker was a kid, adults told her to go into small rooms with adult men and talk about sex things. Regularly. It was so routine for her that she barely thought to talk about it. Until recently... when she started calling other women who did the same thing.(35 minutes)

This particular story is about Mormons and what they put their kids through.  And how it seriously fucks with their heads, even later in life.  It concludes with a Mormon apologist guy telling why this shit is "important" to that culture.  
Yep.  

Kinda made my stomach turn.  Dodgy

I think I'll seek safety in one of my gruesome true crime podcasts.  Shy

(TAL is available to stream now, with new episodes ready for download after 7pm Sunday nights)

I listen to these:

West Wing Weekly--about the TV show, not Trump

The History Chicks--All about women in history

Stuff You Missed in History Class

Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me--The hilarious NPR news quiz
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 1 user Likes Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Kim

Podcasts!
(11-12-2018, 02:15 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote: I listen to these:

West Wing Weekly--about the TV show, not Trump

The History Chicks--All about women in history

Stuff You Missed in History Class

Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me--The hilarious NPR news quiz

I hear Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on my radio every Saturday morning - I love it. Gotta a laugh at the news. Wink

I listen to Stuff You Missed in History Class, also. I've heard about The History Chicks - I'll have to check them out. Shy

Podcasts!
(11-12-2018, 02:12 PM)Kim Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 11:01 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: I listen to a few:

The Weekly Planet - It's a comic book/movie/tv show/games related podcast, hosted by two Aussie who talk shit and have a laugh. Lots of reviews of movies and episode on related (for example, this week is on the Rocky Movies, in prep for Creed 2) and other themed episodes like character fights (hero vs hero, villain vs villain, other etc). Generally I find it funnier that it is informative in all honesty, which for me is awesome as I catch up on any movie news I missed, sometimes learn a thing or two from the segments and otherwise mostly laugh at two guys talking.  

I love Infinite Monkey Cage!  It's cool that it's done with an audience, too.   The science is great, the shows are relevant, and I always learn something new, along with having a few laughs.  It's refreshing!

There's another science podcast I listen to called, StarTalk Radio hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson with comedian Chuck Nice to make things light. Like Infinite Monkey Cage, they talk science, et al but, they have more of a simple interview type structure with guests and listeners get to ask science questions & participate.  It's pretty cool.  

You mentioned you listen to a comic book related podcast ... this past week StarTalk went to Comic Con in NYC!

Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts a wibbly wobbly, timey wimey evening of time travel, quantum states, and wormholes recorded live at NY Comic Con 2018. Featuring Chuck Nice, theoretical physicist Brian Greene, and the Impractical Jokers’ James “Murr” Murray.

Might be something to check out.   Shy

OOOOH, very cool! I will check that out for sure :Smile Big Neil Degrasse-Tyson fan as well, love his work, plus generaly science + comedy = YES PLEASE  Thumbs Up 

Cheers for that I'll download that now!
  • Kim

Podcasts!
(11-10-2018, 10:42 PM)Smercury44 Wrote: Skeptics Guide to the Universe - I love the science talk. They are also very good at cutting through the noise and discussing topics without bias, mostly because they’re so aware of how biases can affect certain topics.

They got a book published in October, which I bought but haven't read yet.  Skeptics Guide to the Universe has a great index, which sold me on the purchase.  (Perhaps I will report back on this after I read it.)
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Kim, Smercury44

Podcasts!
(11-12-2018, 05:53 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 10:42 PM)Smercury44 Wrote: Skeptics Guide to the Universe - I love the science talk. They are also very good at cutting through the noise and discussing topics without bias, mostly because they’re so aware of how biases can affect certain topics.

They got a book published in October, which I bought but haven't read yet.  Skeptics Guide to the Universe has a great index, which sold me on the purchase.  (Perhaps I will report back on this after I read it.)

I pre-ordered it when it went on sale, it's sitting on my Kindle now, just gotta get around to reading it!
"The Thinking Atheist forum" “The Thinking Atheist forum closed down" “TTA Forum”
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Alan V

Podcasts!
(11-12-2018, 02:12 PM)Kim Wrote: There's another science podcast I listen to called, StarTalk Radio hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson with comedian Chuck Nice to make things light. Like Infinite Monkey Cage, they talk science, et al but, they have more of a simple interview type structure with guests and listeners get to ask science questions & participate.  It's pretty cool.  

Might be something to check out.   Shy
Listend to the NYC comic con episode on the way to work this morning. Loved it. That speech at the end as well, so emotional.

I'm hooked, will start from episode one  Thumbs Up
  • Kim

Podcasts!
Not religion related, but recently I have been listening to Dead Man Talking, an ongoing story (there are currently 7 episodes) about Angel Resendiz, better know as Railroad Killer. Prior to his execution in 2006, the journalist conducting the podcast, Alex Hannaford, had interviewed Resendiz in prison. In his interview, Resendiz talked of several undocumented murders that he was never charged with, OR that others were wrongfully charged with. However, Hannaford for a period of time had lost the recordings containing Resendiz's confessions. He looked for the recording, couldn't find it, Resendiz was executed, time went on. Several years later, after moving and unpacking, Hannaford came upon the recording and decided to pursue the confessions of the now-dead serial killer; investigating the logistics of serial killer psyche's, differentiating false confessions from actual confessions, and a murder that has a woman & her boyfriend in prison for life that could have honestly been committed by Resendiz... It's pretty good so far. Among my favorites are probably (although these are really mainstream) Serial, the story of Adnan Syed (who is getting a retrail!!!), as well as the Casefile Podcasts.
The following 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post:
  • Kim

Podcasts!
Ooh - I'd heard of Dead Man Talking but, wasn't looking for another true crime podcast. However, this sounds a bit too good to pass up.

I started listening to a podcast called HappyFace but, was instantly disapointed by the 1st episode!

According to the promo, it is supposed to be the an examination of the "Happy Face Killer", Keith Hunter Jesperson - a Canadian-American serial killer who murdered at least eight women in the United States during the early 1990s. Almost the entire podcast includes interviewing his daughter & how she realized in hindsight her father was this murderer.

The thing that turned me off immediately was the daughter kept saying stuff like, "I could feel a presence in that room, even as a child ..." and when her sleep was interrupted one night, she told her dad that she felt she was watched & touched by someone. To which, according to her, her dad said, "Oh yea, they do that."

Yea, whatever. Dodgy Haven't listened since that first disappointing show.

Thanks for the skinny on Dead Man Talking - it sounds intriguing. I might give it a whirl. Shy

Podcasts!
My two favorite podcasts are: Philosophy Bites and The Panpsycast... and I also sometimes enjoy Sam Harris' podcast.

I also used to enjoy The Atheist Ethicist's podcasts ... but I think he's stopped doing them.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Kim, Smercury44

Podcasts!
Necro post!! Big Grin

My recent must listen podcasts:

Judge John Hodgman - a comedian and his ‘baliff’ Jesse Thorn mediate real life disputes between real life poeple. John Hodgman is a very funny, kind, perceptive, and wise wise man. His advice and verdicts are always spot on and fair. People who aren’t familiar with him would probably recognize him as PC in the Mac/PC ads.

I’ve been catching up on the first few years of Reply All. A podcast about the internet. They cover so many interesting topics and stories.

A new comedy podcast I’m enjoying is The Neighborhood Listen. Two comedians play characters who have made a podcast about what’s going on in their neighborhood by reading posts from a local neighborhood group. A lot of improv and it gets really funny.

What is everyone else listening to right now?
The following 1 user Likes Smercury44's post:
  • Kim

Podcasts!
I'm listening to waaaay too much true crime shit. Dodgy