Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Deep Quotes

Favorite Deep Quotes
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

-Mark Adams
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Alan V

Favorite Deep Quotes
(03-29-2019, 12:21 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

-Mark Adams

I thought that was from Mike Tyson.

It reminds me of another quote, though I don't know who to attribute it to:

"Everyone has a plan that won't work."
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
"I just wanna stab 'im!" (Gimli)
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Favorite Deep Quotes
"If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast."

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

-- Jack Handey
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • evenheathen, vulcanlogician

Favorite Deep Quotes
(03-29-2019, 03:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast."

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

-- Jack Handey

"It's a shame that entire families are torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."

Jack Handey
The following 2 users Like evenheathen's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
(03-30-2019, 01:34 AM)evenheathen Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 03:11 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast."

-- Jack Handey

"It's a shame that entire families are torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."

Jack Handey

He's an unappreciated soul.
On hiatus.

Favorite Deep Quotes
"One of the illusions is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. No man has learned anything rightly until he knows that every day is Doomsday."

Emerson

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice, that suicide is wrong, when its quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person."

Arthur Schopenhauer
The following 3 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • Gwaithmir, vulcanlogician, Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes

-- Jack Handey

"A lie will circle the globe before the truth can even put on its shoes." (Mark Twain) Consider
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, vulcanlogician

Favorite Deep Quotes
(03-29-2019, 12:51 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 12:21 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

-Mark Adams

I thought that was from Mike Tyson.

It reminds me of another quote, though I don't know who to attribute it to:

"Everyone has a plan that won't work."

No plan ever survives contact with the enemy.
- Old military adage.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
WHY DO THINGS HAVE TO BE THE WAY THE WAY THEY ARE?

-Death

Favorite Deep Quotes
"As for life, it is a battle and a sojourning in a strange land; but the fame that comes after is oblivion." - Marcus Aurelius
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gwaithmir, vulcanlogician

Favorite Deep Quotes
“Nothing is everlasting, for time is like a raging river. As soon as something appears it is soon swept away and replaced by something else. And this, in its turn, will also be swept away.” (Marcus Aurelius)  Consider
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, vulcanlogician, Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: tumblr_n4lta8Kovc1r0ek6do1_1280.png]
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Gwaithmir, vulcanlogician, Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
An acorn on the forest floor will grow the tree to box you're bones.

-Dax Riggs

Favorite Deep Quotes
"How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?"

-Goofy

Favorite Deep Quotes
"A man is the whole encyclopaedia of facts. The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn, and Egypt, Greece, Rome, Gaul, Britain, America, lie folded already in the first man. Epoch after epoch, camp, kingdom, empire, republic, democracy, are merely the application of his manifold spirit to the manifold world."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

https://archive.vcu.edu/english/engweb/t...story.html
The following 1 user Likes vulcanlogician's post:
  • KittyAnn

Favorite Deep Quotes
"I've got no direction, but I'm in motion."

-Floater

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Have some of Column A. Try all of Column B."

-The Genie, Aladdin

Favorite Deep Quotes
"I have often wondered, that persons who make a boast of professing the Christian religion, namely, love, joy, peace, temperance, and charity to all men, should quarrel with such rancorous animosity, and display daily towards one another such bitter hatred, that this, rather than the virtues they claim, is the readiest criterion of their faith."

-Baruch Spinoza
The following 2 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Mark, Gwaithmir

Favorite Deep Quotes
The road apple doesn't fall far from the horse's ass.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Fireball

Favorite Deep Quotes
[Image: when-we-remember-we-are-all-mad-the-myst...ained2.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Thumpalumpacus

Favorite Deep Quotes
"The Red Baron is smart. He doesn't spend the entire night before a mission carousing and drinking root beer." (Snoopy)  Whistling
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Fireball

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Bishops move diagonally, which is why they often pop up where kings don't expect them to be."

Terry Pratchett
The following 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post:
  • Gwaithmir, vulcanlogician

Favorite Deep Quotes
"When we hear the ancient bells growling on a Sunday morning we ask ourselves: Is it really possible! this, for a Jew, crucified two thousand years ago, who said he was God's son. The proof of such a claim is lacking. Certainly the Christian religion is an antiquity projected into our times from remote prehistory; and the fact that the claim is believed— whereas one is otherwise so strict in examining pretensions—is perhaps the most ancient piece of this heritage. A god who begets children with a mortal woman; a sage who bids men work no more, have no more courts, but look for the signs of the impending end of the world; a justice that accepts the innocent as a vicarious sacrifice; someone who orders his disciples to drink his blood; prayers for miraculous interventions; sins perpetrated against a god, atoned for by a god; fear of a beyond to which death is the portal; the form of the cross as a symbol in a time that no longer knows the function and the ignominy of the cross—how ghoulishly all this touches us, as if from the tomb of a primeval pastl Can one believe that such things are still believed?"

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
The following 3 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Fireball

Favorite Deep Quotes
"Think for yourself, schmuck!"

-Some pious asshole, who was also a schmuck