Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Morality Objective?

Is Morality Objective?
I think here's some great two videos on the matter of objective morality:

I've tried to talk to people about objective morality before... but it's hard getting through to people. So perhaps YouTube can help as these two videos are very accessible and easily understood by most people (I hope).
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Grandizer

Is Morality Objective?
In short, no.

The first video is quite good at describing the basic issues and reasoning.

Since he mentions both, I will simply say Hume defeats Kant, one to nil.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • Kim, Thumpalumpacus, Capn Awesome, Tartarus Sauce

Is Morality Objective?
I agree with the first guy point by point:

What he refers to as "axiomatic oughts" I have referred to a human nature, which is both objective and relative to us as a species and as individuals. In other words, you can build ought arguments from ought premises and be objective. So yes, morality can be objective in a scientific sense of the word.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, vulcanlogician

Is Morality Objective?
I agree that there are some moral statements that we generally accept as being axiomatically true. But I don't think that they are true to the same reliable level that we accept the spherical shape of the earth as being true. I think that the guy who argued that we use objective in different scientific and philosophical senses made a good point, but I still don't think that acceptance of axiomatic moral truths is on the same level as accepting that the world is round. That the world is round is accepted as basically an unchanging fact with no exceptions. Things like our imperative to survive do change; in some circumstances we lose it; in some circumstances we set it aside if we have the fortitude to do so. Moral axioms are likely to have too many exceptions to be as reliable as the belief that the world is round. We continuously renegotiate the social contract.

I'm going to stop right there, because I am limiting my response to the specifics discussed in those two videos.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote: In short, no.

Did you watch the second video?
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 02:32 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: I agree with the first guy point by point:

What he refers to as "axiomatic oughts" I have referred to a human nature, which is both objective and relative to us as a species and as individuals.  In other words, you can build ought arguments from ought premises and be objective.  So yes, morality can be objective in a scientific sense of the word.

So you mean you agree with the second guy?

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote: Since he mentions both, I will simply say Hume defeats Kant, one to nil.

The idea that you can't get an ought from an is assumes that there is more to what is than what is.

Kant's moral framework is nonsensical as he's a deontologist and only consequentialism makes sense.

But objective morality does make sense consequentially.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 04:39 PM)Yonadav Wrote: But I don't think that they are true to the same reliable level that we accept the spherical shape of the earth as being true.  

But there is a fact of the matter whether X causes someone to suffer or it doesn't.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 02:32 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: I agree with the first guy point by point:

What he refers to as "axiomatic oughts" I have referred to a human nature, which is both objective and relative to us as a species and as individuals.  In other words, you can build ought arguments from ought premises and be objective.  So yes, morality can be objective in a scientific sense of the word.

Only if you equate human nature with ought.  I see no sound reason to do so.
We are a product of evolution as are all other organisms.
Ought chimpanzees fling poo?
Ought wolves feed on still living animals?
Ought wasps paralyze prey so that their larvae can feed on living insects?
And so on.
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 6 users Like Chas's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ, jerry mcmasters, Paleophyte, Tartarus Sauce, polymath257

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 07:31 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote: Since he mentions both, I will simply say Hume defeats Kant, one to nil.

The idea that you can't get an ought from an is assumes that there is more to what is than what is.

Kant's moral framework is nonsensical as he's a deontologist and only consequentialism makes sense.

No, it doesn't.  Not everyone agrees what the consequences ought to.  Facepalm
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 09:04 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 04:39 PM)Yonadav Wrote: But I don't think that they are true to the same reliable level that we accept the spherical shape of the earth as being true.  

But there is a fact of the matter whether X causes someone to suffer or it doesn't.

But there is a fact of the matter whether Y's suffering is more or less than Z's suffering.  
Or whether Q's suffering is necessary for a particular outcome.  
And so on.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 07:29 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

Yes.  The idea that, if not objective, morality is "just opinions".  Bullshit.  
The "just" is an attempt to minimize and does not belong in constructive discussion.

Morality has very real bases, especially our evolution.  
That does not make it objective and it most certainly eliminates "just opinion".
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Tartarus Sauce

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:

And so on.

More like:

We ought to eat to survive.
We ought to get enough sleep to be alert in waking.
We ought to better ourselves to get by in life.
We ought to get along with others to thrive.

That sort of thing.  All are based on objective facts about ourselves and the world.

Morality is about optimizing our surviving and thriving as individuals in societies.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 10:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 09:36 PM)Chas Wrote:

And so on.

More like:

That sort of thing.  All are based on objective facts about ourselves and the world.

They are based on hidden assumptions, e.g. we ought to survive, we ought to be alert. That sort of thing.
Also, define "better".  Objectively.

Quote:Morality is about optimizing our surviving and thriving as individuals in societies.

No, it's not.  It's about how we treat others.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 09:38 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 07:31 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

So what? Not everyone (or anyone) has to agree... that's a fundamental misunderstanding of what objective morality actually is (or has to be). The earth doesn't move around the sun just because most people think it does... you wouldn't think people had to agree on any other matter of objective truth. Agreement =/= objectivity.

In fact, on the contrary, something is truly objective if it is true regardless of agreement or disagreement.

The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • vulcanlogician, Yonadav

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 09:40 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 09:04 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

But there is a fact of the matter whether Y's suffering is more or less than Z's suffering.  
Or whether Q's suffering is necessary for a particular outcome.  
And so on.

Necessary for one particular outcome doesn't make the suffering itself necessary. Suffering is only necessary when the suffering is necessary to reduce an even greater amount of suffering.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 10:08 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 07:29 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:

The "just" is an attempt to minimize and does not belong in constructive discussion.

So you have no actual argument against it then?

How can morality not be just a matter of opinion if it isn't objective? If it isn't just a matter of opinion doesn't that make it objective?

Quote:Morality has very real bases, especially our evolution.  
That does not make it objective and it most certainly eliminates "just opinion".

So it's not just a matter of opinion but it's not objective either, according to you. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 11:56 PM)Chas Wrote: They are based on hidden assumptions, e.g. we ought to survive, we ought to be alert.  That sort of thing.

Those are perfectly reasonable axioms. "Better"=closer to the axiom.

(10-31-2018, 11:56 PM)Chas Wrote:
Quote:Morality is about optimizing our surviving and thriving as individuals in societies.
No, it's not. It's about how we treat others.

Actually, it's both.

Is Morality Objective?
(10-31-2018, 10:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: More like:

They are based on hidden assumptions, e.g. we ought to survive, we ought to be alert.  That sort of thing.

Where are the determinists when you really need them?  No, such things are not based on our assumptions.  They run much deeper.  They are based on our nature, which is an objective reality.

"Better" is pragmatically whatever is effective.  Circumstances alter cases.  What is important is how they are directed, as I clarify below.

(10-31-2018, 10:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: Morality is about optimizing our surviving and thriving as individuals in societies.

You act as if how we treat others exists in a vacuum.  But since how we treat others changes with the circumstances, this is obviously not the case.  

We are goal-oriented creatures, and our goals are surviving and thriving.  I am asserting that morality only makes sense as an evolutionarily-developed strategy for intelligent, social creatures like humans to reach such goals.

Is Morality Objective?
(11-01-2018, 02:09 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 09:38 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 07:31 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: The idea that you can't get an ought from an is assumes that there is more to what is than what is.

So what? Not everyone (or anyone) has to agree... that's a fundamental misunderstanding of what objective morality actually is (or has to be). The earth doesn't move around the sun just because most people think it does... you wouldn't think people had to agree on any other matter of objective truth. Agreement =/= objectivity.

In fact, on the contrary, something is truly objective if it is true regardless of agreement or disagreement.

"Ought" is never objective.  It is a choice, not a fact.  That is, it is subjective, not objective.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Is Morality Objective?
(11-01-2018, 02:12 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 10:08 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 07:29 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Did you watch the second video?

So you have no actual argument against it then?

How can morality not be just a matter of opinion if it isn't objective? If it isn't just a matter of opinion doesn't that make it objective?

One's opinions can be (and usually are) based on facts.  The "just" is a lame attempt to deny that.

Quote:
Quote:Morality has very real bases, especially our evolution.  

So it's not just a matter of opinion but it's not objective either, according to you. That makes absolutely zero sense.

It most definitely is opinion, not "just" opinion.  Facepalm
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Is Morality Objective?
(11-01-2018, 04:53 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 10:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: More like:

They are based on hidden assumptions, e.g. we ought to survive, we ought to be alert.  That sort of thing.

Where are the determinists when you really need them?  No, such things are not based on our assumptions.  They run much deeper.  They are based on our nature, which is an objective reality.

I didn't say things were based on our assumptions.  I said that his examples contained hidden assumptions.

Quote:"Better" is pragmatically whatever is effective.  Circumstances alter cases.  What is important is how they are directed, as I clarify below.

What is effective may differ from person to person, making it clearly not objective.

Quote:
(10-31-2018, 10:28 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: Morality is about optimizing our surviving and thriving as individuals in societies.

You act as if how we treat others exists in a vacuum.  

I have no idea how you get that from what I said.

Quote:But since how we treat others changes with the circumstances, this is obviously not the case.  

We are goal-oriented creatures, and our goals are surviving and thriving.  I am asserting that morality only makes sense as an evolutionarily-developed strategy for intelligent, social creatures like humans to reach such goals.

And I would agree with that.  But "thriving" is not objectively determined.
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Is Morality Objective?
(11-01-2018, 02:16 PM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 11:56 PM)Chas Wrote: They are based on hidden assumptions, e.g. we ought to survive, we ought to be alert.  That sort of thing.

Those are perfectly reasonable axioms. "Better"=closer to the axiom.

Your "axioms" are not objectively determined.  "Better" is individually determined, not objectively true.

Quote:
No, it's not. It's about how we treat others.

Actually, it's both.

No, it's not.  A person in isolation has no morality or need for any.  It is only interaction with others that defines morality.
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • SYZ

Is Morality Objective?
It is worth noting that some ethicists (such as Kant) view treating oneself poorly as a moral transgression. Therefore, morality doesn't depend upon a social dimension.
The following 3 users Like vulcanlogician's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ, EvieTheAvocado

Is Morality Objective?
(11-01-2018, 11:14 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 04:53 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: "Better" is pragmatically whatever is effective.  Circumstances alter cases.

What is effective may differ from person to person, making it clearly not objective.

I assert objective moral standards exist. However, many people still hold to subjective standards, like religiously indoctrinated ones. They are not the best people to consult about what is and isn't effective. The standard is what helps people to survive and thrive, not what is in accordance with religious dogma.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado