Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Climate Change

Climate Change
(09-12-2021, 06:33 AM)KevinM1 Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 09:30 PM)mordant Wrote: The best you can do is minimize your debts, minimize your participation in unsustainable practices, and build as much community where you are as possible, so that you have a prayer of having a few allies in a bad situation.

This, right here.

I have a college buddy who's a veteran.  Was literally one of the guys going door-to-door in Iraq.  I'm not sure if he was actually special forces, or did some training and didn't make the cut.  He's mentioned training for it in vague terms, but I'm not about to pry.

He's a good guy.  Smart, has been an atheist for as long as I've known him (20+ years), definitely not one of the "America, fuck yeah!" types.  We've talked about the modern prepper movement in the US, as part of our larger conversations, and we've come to the same conclusions:

It's a power fantasy.  We saw a flavor of it on display on January 6th.  Mediocre 30-60 year old white dudes decked out in tacticool gear playing at being bad asses.  Doesn't mean they're not dangerous.  A mob of idiots with firearms is incredibly dangerous.  But, these people have no idea how to do anything but dream of playing wannabe army man.  There's no answer to "okay, then what?"

The entire thing is a sad, cynical LARP (live action roleplay for the non-nerds out there) by people who feel like they lack power, respect, and/or control over their own lives.  That's why, invariably, they dream about being king of shit hill.  Petty tyrants ruling over a fiefdom of nothing.  Bunkers filled with TP, ammo, and mustard can't be about anything else.

Real prepping involves practical skills.  Can you grow food?  Can you do basic repairs to a vehicle?  Do you know first aid?  Are you CPR certified?  Can you source the medications you may need?  Refrigerate them?  Can you source water and boil it?  Can you find/build shelter?  Blankets?  Can you repair torn/worn clothing?  And, yes, self-defense is necessary in that kind of situation, too.  But it's not more important than the rest.  Your AR-15 is going to do fuck all if you're a diabetic without insulin, or your fingers have frostbite, or you're literally dying from a lack of water, or....

And that's why real prepping requires a community approach.  No one person, or even a family, can do all of that.  Not for long, anyway.  Real prepping is skill-based, not just hoarding resources.

Heh, sorry for the rant.  I get incredibly frustrated by the "fuck you, got mine" mindset.  It's a thought plague, just as real and dangerous as COVID IMO.

Dystopia is horrible. Few people (and many who think they are) are really ready. Have you ever read 'Lucifer's Hammer'? It MAY actually be the most rational sci-fi about almost end-of-world. Well, at least it seems to discuss reality...

I'm not a exactly a "prepper". But I have enough experience in hunting (crossbow) and camping to get by a few weeks. After that, I would seek some organizing communities. I have enough practical skills to be welcome, I suppose (organic gardening, cooking, construction). And from there, we start to rebuild. No one would survive alone. It would take normal human cooperation to get by.
I never had monsters under the bed, in the closet, or an imaginary friend.  Where did I go wrong?

Climate Change
(09-13-2021, 02:11 AM)mordant Wrote: As I mentioned in a different topic recently, even in an area that's not dominated by maskholes and Trumptards, people can't stand being inconvenienced or constrained or be arsed to maintain discipline during a deadly pandemic; why should we expect them to give up conspicuous consumption in the interest of the survival of humanity more generally, when they won't do it for their own personal safety?

The above is a good point, which I have considered myself.

However, my point was that economics will push us to renewables and sustainability, regardless of climate change, as prices for everything using fossil fuels will rise over decades.  (I could add security concerns to economics as another factor that will push us in that direction.)  And the rising prices and difficulties living the same lifestyles which were afforded by fossil fuels will also push us toward conservation.  We Americans actually waste a lot, so we could enjoy basically the same lifestyles with much less consumption. And of course economics will also pressure people to have less children. So a sudden economic collapse doesn't seem likely to me, at least in the U.S. More likely is a long, slow decline.

Concerning climate change itself, the greedy are the ones who will have the greatest problems adapting (as you said).  But the majority of voters are already adjusting to the facts.  In a way, our unequal society will enable the transition, since more people will be used to doing more with less. My concern is how long it will take for us to transition, since whatever degree of climate change is now inevitable. 

You seem to think the wealthy control our democracy, and many (but not all) are certainly trying to.  But we can see that the political pendulum is already swinging back.  The facts are getting harder and harder to deny.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Climate Change
The planet is on a 'catastrophic' global warming path, UN report shows

Quote: (CNN)The planet is careening toward warming of 2.7 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels -- far above what scientists say the world should be targeting -- according to a report on global emissions targets by the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.

Scientists have said that the planet needs to slash 45% of its emissions by 2030 to reach carbon neutrality by mid-century. But under current emissions commitments from countries there will be a 16% increase in emissions in 2030 compared to 2010 levels, according to the report.

That would lead the planet to warm to 2.7 degrees above pre-industrial levels, the report says.

Scientists have said global temperatures should remain below 1.5 degrees above pre-industrial levels to stave off the worse consequences of the climate crisis. A UN report in August showed global temperature is already around 1.2 degrees of warming.

In a statement about today's report, UN Secretary-General António Guterres called the planet's current path "catastrophic."

"This is breaking the promise made six years ago to pursue the 1.5-degree Celsius goal of the Paris Agreement," Guterres said. "Failure to meet this goal will be measured in the massive loss of lives and livelihoods."

The report comes after a summer filled with climate change-fueled extreme weather around the world: While the Western US has been battered by wildfires, worsened by unrelenting drought, flooding events and hurricanes, China and Germany experienced deadly flooding events in July as Southern Europe battled wildfires of its own.

Addressing leaders at the Major Economies Forum on Friday morning, Guterres said that the UN climate conference in November, during which world leaders will meet to discuss emissions targets, has a "high risk of failure."

"It is clear that everyone must assume their responsibilities," Guterres said.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V