Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

(07-11-2021, 01:28 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 12:18 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 10:50 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: BLACK WIDOW It's a Marvel movie.

Haven't seen it yet.  Origin movie?  Something about a sister?

They were children assigned to a Soviet deep cover team living in Ohio. When the team was recalled they were seconded to the Red Room. Both girls were grade schoolers at the time. This movie gets them all back together. Rachel is still lookin' good. Merrrowww.

Huh? All the women were in heavy combat outfits the entire time.

(07-30-2021, 07:48 PM)Percie Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 01:28 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 12:18 PM)Cavebear Wrote: Haven't seen it yet.  Origin movie?  Something about a sister?

They were children assigned to a Soviet deep cover team living in Ohio. When the team was recalled they were seconded to the Red Room. Both girls were grade schoolers at the time. This movie gets them all back together. Rachel is still lookin' good. Merrrowww.

Huh? All the women were in heavy combat outfits the entire time.

Did we watch the same movie? The family dinner wasn't in combat gear. Scarlett's time in Norway wasn't in combat gear. etc. etc. etc.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

[Image: MV5BMTg2MDYwMzM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3...@._V1_.jpg]

Brilliant, whimsical fantasy.
Terry Gilliam, need I say more?
The following 4 users Like no one's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Kim, Dancefortwo

(07-30-2021, 08:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Did we watch the same movie? The family dinner wasn't in combat gear. Scarlett's time in Norway wasn't in combat gear. etc. etc. etc.

Sorry, but I don't recall much in the way of boobs.

Just saw Snake Eyes. Completely formulaic but still entertaining. Lots of sword fights. Giant snakes.

(07-31-2021, 01:01 AM)Percie Wrote:
(07-30-2021, 08:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Did we watch the same movie? The family dinner wasn't in combat gear. Scarlett's time in Norway wasn't in combat gear. etc. etc. etc.

Sorry, but I don't recall much in the way of boobs.
Okay, so there weren't that many government officials involved after the first scenes...

(07-31-2021, 01:02 AM)Percie Wrote: Just saw Snake Eyes. Completely formulaic but still entertaining. Lots of sword fights. Giant snakes.

I came this close to watching that last night.  Settled instead for "Army of Darkness," a campy old horror/comedy movie.  Special effects so outdated it was fun to watch.

THE ALPHA INCIDENT (1978) Martian bugs attack Earth. We ended up rooting for the bugs. One dose of boobage, not worth the wait. One of the 'scientists' couldn't pronounce all the big words. Or he wasn't speaking English. Very unclear in that regard.

Watched "High Fidelity" romance/comedy/drama type thing last night with wife. John Cusack explores his love life and deals with recent break-up. Heavy musical themes, he owns a record shop etc etc. Interesting and entertaining for first 45 minutes or so, after that I didn't really understand it.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dānu, Kim

And now the screaming starts. Actually the screaming would start when you realized you paid for this one.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Kim

My houseboy hadn't seen this film, so a few nights ago I got this movie down from my DVD collection and invited him to stay for supper. He thought the film (and the food) was excellent.  Smile
[Image: Sevenpct.jpg]
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Kim

The book was a fun read.

Smart, funny, not quite as tense as I thought it might be ...

... and certainly not as simple as one might expect.

Thought provoking - have a tissue handy. Shy

Oh and, the scenery is insanely beautiful.

Free Guy. Saw it twice - last week with daughter, this week with wife. It's fantastic. Has comedy, action, and romance. We all loved it. Note though that we're all gamers. For non-gamers it's probably still good, but not as good.
The following 1 user Likes Percie's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

[Image: squad-936x527.jpg?resize=936%2C527&ssl=1]

The Suicide Squad.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

(08-31-2021, 03:45 AM)Dānu Wrote: [Image: squad-936x527.jpg?resize=936%2C527&ssl=1]

The Suicide Squad.

One of my new favorites. It's not the most deep film but it was a lot of fun. I've seen it 4 times already.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

You're welcome.

The Last Days of Patton.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

'Tolkien'. it was impressive about his early years, but I want the sequel when he wrote the books.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

The Hunt. Woke elites kidnap 11 deplorables and hunt them down. But, one conservative(?) woman turns the table on them.

Oh look, you guys! It's movie and internet day at the home for the mentally challenged. How cute Deadpan Coffee Drinker

What a pathetic, empty life, trying to rile up a bunch of strangers with passive-aggressiveness at the level of a 12 year-old.
“We drift down time, clutching at straws. But what good's a brick to a drowning man?” 
The following 1 user Likes Vera's post:
  • Minimalist

Myself and Mrs Oaktree have been watching the Halloween movies:

Halloween [1978]

Plot: Michael Myers kills his sister, when he is a younger child, and gets sent to an asylum. He escapes and decides to try and now kill his other sister. Much killing is done in the process

Thoughts:
It's definitely of it's time - and scary in places. Was it ever really said "why" he's after his sister? i honestly dont know.

---

Halloween 2

Plot:
Kicks off straight as the first one ends - Michael is, somehow, still alive and still after his sister.

Thoughts:
This was a little bit "better" for my money. Slightly more budget it seems and otherwise more stuff going on. I will say there is a part where a man dressed similarly to micheal myers is killed when he's hit by a car, which then crashes into a van and explodes - all because the police chased after him. The police then mostly ignore it ever happened, it made me laugh.

---

Halloween 3: season of the witch

Plot:
So this one returns to the originally planned format of " a different story every year" for these movies. In this we see a crazy conspiracy plot revolving around witches/magic and masks that kill you if you watch some TV signal thing. One doctor and a young women get drawn into the whole thing and it all kicks off.

Thoughts:
I mean......its not good. I'll give it bonus points for being original and the ending as well, but it's a terrible movie.

---

Halloween 4 : Return of Michael Myers

Plot:
Due to fan demand and the backlash of 3, Mr Myers makes his return. This time around he's after his young niece.

Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one, and it starts to lean into the whole "he's more than a man" type stuff, because by this point how he's still alive is a mystery for a "normal" person.

[Image: 81jl0YdYQCL._SY445_.jpg]
Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Blade Runner 2049.

I thought it was great. I prefer it over the original.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]