Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What movie did you last see?

(04-01-2021, 05:41 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 10:34 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 12:19 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Currently watching "Godzilla v. Kong." (HBO Max, still not ready to theater.)
This franchise just keeps getting better.

Please tell me they team up and beat up some other baddie/baddies.  They're both such good guys!  Of course some reason has to be invented for them to first duke it out for awhile.

It's a commonly used superhero comic trope going way back.  You can't have the two good superheroes meet each other for the first time and just say "Hi, let's be superfriends!"  There has to be some "misunderstanding" (often manipulated into existence by omniscient giggling baddie) that makes them fight for a few pages.  Only then can there be a pause and a "waitaminute...maybe we...shouldn't be fighting each other!"  Worked well with Hulk vs pretty much anybody else.  And Sub Mariner vs pretty much anybody else.  Or the XMen vs anybody else.  Shitty use would be the dumb but kinda fun Superman vs Batman.  They really had to do some manufacturing to try to make it believable (they failed) that these two super-goodies would ever fight to the death.  But the actual punch-out was pretty cool.

Show ContentSpoiler:
  [Image: attachment.php?aid=31] Dog  

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Plot:
An earth man is taken into space after said blue marble planet is destroyed to make way for a hyper galactic express way. Adventures ensue.

Thoughts:
I'm a big fan of the book, and the book series as a whole, but had never seen the movie for one reason or another. Everybody in it is great, and while it doesn't really hold up compared to the book due to feeling a bit rushed, I honestly think this is the best we were going to get without something being 5 hours long to fit everything in. Not going to happen, but would have loved to see a sequel based upon the next book and so on.

A bit of a fun sci fi romp Smile
And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?

The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy
1958 ‧ Horror/Sci-fi ‧ 1h 5m

6% on Rotten Tomatoes.

"Mad scientist Dr. Krupp (Luis Aceves Castañeda) is determined to find and seize an ancient Aztec treasure. After discovering the location of a treasure map, he resolves to build a formidable robot to vanquish the mummy warrior protecting the map. Dr. Krupp eventually unleashes his humanoid robot on the mummy, in hopes of getting the map and using the treasure to build an army of killer robots. Only Krupp's colleague, Dr. Almada (Ramón Gay), and his wife (Rosita Arenas) stand in his way.
Initial release: July 17, 1958"

American International, of course.

I Trapped The Devil

Plot:
A man/his wife go to visit his bother for Christmas - the brother claims to have captured the literal/actual Devil in the basement. Is he telling the truth or has he lost his mind?

Thoughts:
This is a low budget/indie job but is very well done. Keep you guessing pretty much up until the very end. Not a gory job or anything overtly scary, but it has tension that runs throughout, so worth watching in that regard.
And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?

[Image: A_Violent_Separation_%282019_poster%29.png]
Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

Project Moon Base 1953.

Quote:A saboteur posing as a scientist strives to destroy the world's first space station.
Director: Richard Talmadge
Writers: Robert A. Heinlein (screenplay) (as Robert Heinlein), Jack Seaman (screenplay) | 2 more credits »
Stars: Donna Martell, Hayden Rorke, Ross Ford | See full cast & crew »

Yep, he got paid for this awful horror show.

(Available on Prime.)

Darkest Hour, about Churchill becoming Prime Minister.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(05-10-2021, 05:24 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Darkest Hour, about Churchill becoming Prime Minister.
Some liberties with the facts in that one, but fun to watch.

That's Hollywood for you.

Winston did like his booze, though.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

[Image: A_Violent_Separation_%282019_poster%29.png]
Popcorn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)

(05-10-2021, 06:12 PM)Minimalist Wrote: That's Hollywood for you.

Winston did like his booze, though.
Yep. He pillaged the White House liquor cabinet when he visited the US.