Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti-theist, anti-theism, some of both?

In general, I'm anti-theism. In the fine I can be quite anti-theist. Overall I think an anti-theism stance would make more sense, but Gawd, my relatives made this difficult when I still met them in meat space.

What's your take on this?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • unfogged, Chas, Phaedrus

I'm not anti theist. You see, I know a lot of really nice theist persons and am also against any kind of ideology. Anti theism certainly is one. At least in my opinion.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, GirlyMan

I am anti theists who want to make laws and practices and educational limitations based on their religious beliefs, and I am also anti all of the theists who are happy to sit by quietly and let that happen.  

That said, I know many theists who find the above abhorrent, and I'm fine with that kind of theist.  

I'm not anti theism.  As an idea I just find it pointless.  No meaningful or plausible god concept features a god who'd need or deserve worship.
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Kim, jerry mcmasters, Szuchow

(10-20-2018, 10:33 AM)abaris Wrote: I'm not anti theist. You see, I know a lot of really nice theist persons and am also against any kind of ideology. Anti theism certainly is one. At least in my opinion.

Being against any kind of ideology sounds sort of ideological to me.  Angel

There is too much againstism around here!  Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Yonadav's post:
  • Aliza

(10-20-2018, 11:43 AM)Yonadav Wrote: Being against any kind of ideology sounds sort of ideological to me.  Angel

No, I'm just against rallying behind a flag. I don't need anyone to tell me what's right or wrong. I make it up as I go and I wouldn't want it anyway else.
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Kim, SYZ

(10-20-2018, 11:43 AM)Yonadav Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 10:33 AM)abaris Wrote: I'm not anti theist. You see, I know a lot of really nice theist persons and am also against any kind of ideology. Anti theism certainly is one. At least in my opinion.

I'm against people supporting an organization that supports pedophiliacs.

(10-20-2018, 10:04 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: In general, I'm anti-theism. In the fine I can be quite anti-theist. Overall I think an anti-theism stance would make more sense, but Gawd, my relatives made this difficult when I still met them in meat space.

What's your take on this?

None of my relatives give a hoot. My mom had a conniption when I came out as an atheist, but that was back in the early 1980's and she's long ago gotten over it. My sister's boy is an atheist, thanks to my influence. Smile
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Kim

I prefer the term anti-theism to anti-theist because if somebody keeps their unsupported beliefs to themselves and doesn't go around trying to make me accept them or live by them then it isn't my business. On the other hand, theism is an irrational way to view the world and opening your mind to accepting some claims without good evidence is, in my opinion, bad for the individual and ultimately bad for everybody. I see it as being one of the biggest factors retarding progress and causing misery in the world.
The following 6 users Like unfogged's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Aliza, Kim, brunumb, Chas, skyking

I am anti-fallacies-in-reasoning, so I am also anti-indoctrination of any kind.
The following 5 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Aliza, Kim, brunumb, skyking

(10-20-2018, 12:29 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote: I am anti-fallacies-in-reasoning, so I am also anti-indoctrination of any kind.

Who told you to say that? [Image: brick.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V

I was recently told by someone that they cannot be friends with a person who thinks differently than they do –at least not on the internet. It was implied that my niceness would not be a factor.

I dunno Dunno I can be friends with people who think differently than me. I learn from people who are different from me. It broadens my perspective, and makes me smarter and more well-rounded. I can respect and appreciate other points of view even if I choose not to adopt them as my own.

I do draw the line at proselytizing, though. At that point, they are asking for respect and tolerance, but they're not respecting me.
The following 5 users Like Aliza's post:
  • abaris, Yonadav, Kim, skyking, Tartarus Sauce

(10-20-2018, 02:07 PM)Aliza Wrote: I do draw the line at proselytizing, though. At that point, they are asking for respect and tolerance, but they're not respecting me.

That falls under live and let live. Anyone trying to shove something down my throat wakes my resentment.
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Aliza, Kim, Smercury44

No proselytizing, no mixing government and religion, and no yelling "praise the lord" at everything that happens.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Kim, Smercury44, jerry mcmasters

I was more anti-theistic when I was first coming to terms with my own atheism. I've become more apetheistic over the last few years with a good dose of ignosticism mixed in.

I mean, this is a topic I can care about, but I'm more concerned with the intersection of religion in the public sphere than I am with people's beliefs in general. I get that if people weren't religious, I wouldn't have to worry about separation of church and state, but I just don't think the majority of people in the world are ready for that.
The following 3 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Aliza, Kim, Smercury44

I guess I'm just anti-stupidity. Because there are a lot of stupid things that have to be challenged.

That includes any of my own personal brand of stupidity.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 3 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Aliza, Chas, skyking

Being against a dangerous ideology is simply self-preservation.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 6 users Like Chas's post:
  • Kim, Smercury44, abaris, Szuchow, skyking, Old Man Marsh

(10-20-2018, 03:01 PM)Dom Wrote: No proselytizing, no mixing government and religion, and no yelling "praise the lord" at everything that happens.

Agree completely with two and three but strangely I never have much problem with the first.  There's something to be said for sincerity, I suppose, if you really really think this shit is true, it must be your duty to warn/annoy people.  I guess I find it charming when old people do it, but it is irritating from the young, who really ought to know better given they've had a lifetime's access to the internet.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Unsapien

I'd never describe myself as being "anti-theist" or promoting "anti-theism".

Both terms are unduly confrontational—particularly to theists like many of my
friends—and in reality unwarranted in the mindset of any atheist.

I only ever describe myself as "atheist" (or more precisely ignostic). And even
more obviously, if you're an atheist, then of course you're also anti-theist by
default. Why over complicate the issue?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • abaris

(10-21-2018, 09:55 AM)SYZ Wrote: Both terms are unduly confrontational—particularly to theists like many of my
friends—and in reality unwarranted in the mindset of any atheist.

Really? "Unduly" is not the word you were looking for.

I'm against all stupid ideas, not just theism.

And I'd say that I think, on the whole, belief in libertarian free will does more harm than theism.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

(10-21-2018, 03:35 AM)Chas Wrote:

Being against a dangerous ideology is simply self-preservation.

Is any ideology a dangerous ideology?  I'm asking because we were talking about being against any ideology.  You're moving a goalpost in an argument that no one was having.

(10-21-2018, 11:42 AM)Yonadav Wrote: Is any ideology a dangerous ideology?

Yes, I think so, because people are rallying behind a flag someone else put up without using their own minds.

(10-21-2018, 11:52 AM)abaris Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 11:42 AM)Yonadav Wrote: Is any ideology a dangerous ideology?

Yes, I think so, because people are rallying behind a flag someone else put up without using their own minds.

That is probably the most widely held self-congratulatory perspective.  It is an individualist ideology, except that it might not pass the test for being an ideology because there isn't any thought behind it.  There is just the belief that one is an independent thinker and others are not.  Its adherents are probably the least independent thinkers on the planet since they tend to cluster with birds of a feather where they talk about how others can't think for themselves, and then shoot down the ideas of any among them who actually have an independent thought.

Outliers are easy targets, most often, so falling in step with a group/crowd is a safety measure.

(10-21-2018, 01:08 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Outliers are easy targets, most often, so falling in step with a group/crowd is a safety measure.
 The self described independent thinker who believes that other people don't use their minds like they do is not an outlier.