Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gamers!

Gamers!
(12-28-2020, 01:35 AM)Dānu Wrote: Hunh, looks like there is no difficulty setting.  I've looked at the playful Farm Sim Stardew Valley, and Dom plays something similar, but that's a bit too, I don't know, sedate for me.  But it's what attracted me to Graveyard Keeper as the write-ups liken it to a warped version of Stardew Valley, with a lot of black humor.  Another recent acquisition I'm looking forward to playing is Ship Simulator: Extremes.  I got the game + 6 DLC bundle for $6, but it lacks the Inland Shipping DLC that I really want.  I grew up in Duluth, MN, which is a major international sea port, shipping a lot of iron ore (Edmund Fitzgerald, yada, yada, yada), so I'm looking forward to steering a big cargo ship into port.

I have seen and heard of Stardew Valley and yeah I see the connection, I would prefer Graveyard Keeper for the same reasons.  I want to find something like the old Warcraft and Starcraft games that you could set the speed real low on not get overwhelmed or have to stress your brain too much.  Regarding Red Dead, the game is so sophisticated I suspect (hope?) that it can "read" your play and adjust the difficulty automatically.

Gamers!
(12-28-2020, 01:45 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 01:35 AM)Dānu Wrote: Hunh, looks like there is no difficulty setting.  I've looked at the playful Farm Sim Stardew Valley, and Dom plays something similar, but that's a bit too, I don't know, sedate for me.  But it's what attracted me to Graveyard Keeper as the write-ups liken it to a warped version of Stardew Valley, with a lot of black humor.  Another recent acquisition I'm looking forward to playing is Ship Simulator: Extremes.  I got the game + 6 DLC bundle for $6, but it lacks the Inland Shipping DLC that I really want.  I grew up in Duluth, MN, which is a major international sea port, shipping a lot of iron ore (Edmund Fitzgerald, yada, yada, yada), so I'm looking forward to steering a big cargo ship into port.

I have seen and heard of Stardew Valley and yeah I see the connection, I would prefer Graveyard Keeper for the same reasons.  I want to find something like the old Warcraft and Starcraft games that you could set the speed real low on not get overwhelmed or have to stress your brain too much.  Regarding Red Dead, the game is so sophisticated I suspect (hope?) that it can "read" your play and adjust the difficulty automatically.

I believe you can play Starcraft and Starcraft II for free. They're not the enhanced versions, but that's not a bad deal if you still like the games. I want to get the original two Warcraft games.

I've concentrated on turn-based games since losing my fingers, but I'm learning that my handicap isn't that big of a handicap. The real time combat in the Total War games is reasonably easy to manage, and games like Pillars Of Eternity (which follows in the footsteps of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale), supposedly, even though the combat is real time, you can issue your party's orders, then pause it, rinse, wash, repeat. I just invested heavily in Stellaris which has multiple speeds and a pause (though that's not combat per se). But I hear you. I worry about getting overwhelmed by games because I'm just not a very good player.

ETA: Warcraft I & II can be had at GOG.com (Wikipedia: Gog.com); it's a company in Poland that takes old games and packages them for running on contemporary PCs. They sell new games, too, but older games are their specialty; and the games are DRM-free. Another site worth visiting is eneba.com, which is a game key broker. Generally the cheapest prices for Steam keys can be had there (though not always).
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Gamers!
(12-28-2020, 01:09 AM)Dānu Wrote: Should be a difficulty setting.

I've made the mistake of purchasing a couple of games at full price that didn't have a difficulty setting.

Stupidest move ever to leave out of a game.

Gamers!
(12-28-2020, 01:52 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 01:45 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:

I believe you can play Starcraft and Starcraft II for free.  They're not the enhanced versions, but that's not a bad deal if you still like the games.  I want to get the original two Warcraft games.

I've concentrated on turn-based games since losing my fingers, but I'm learning that my handicap isn't that big of a handicap.  The real time combat in the Total War games is reasonably easy to manage, and games like Pillars Of Eternity (which follows in the footsteps of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale), supposedly, even though the combat is real time, you can issue your party's orders, then pause it, rinse, wash, repeat.  I just invested heavily in Stellaris which has multiple speeds and a pause (though that's not combat per se).  But I hear you.  I worry about getting overwhelmed by games because I'm just not a very good player.

ETA: Warcraft I & II can be had at GOG.com (Wikipedia: Gog.com); it's a company in Poland that takes old games and packages them for running on contemporary PCs.  They sell new games, too, but older games are their specialty; and the games are DRM-free.  Another site worth visiting is eneba.com, which is a game key broker.  Generally the cheapest prices for Steam keys can be had there (though not always).

A few years ago I cranked up Warcraft II and played through it for old time sake on that exact site, thank you though.  It was fun, not as amazing as playing it when it came out but great fun to revisit.  And yes Starcrafts can be played for free on the actual Blizzard site, I started the replay about a year ago and it was fun and all but I just didn't have time to finish it and blew it off.  Might go back and play some more.  I will look into the other games you mentioned, thanks for the reference.  I used to play a lot of FPS's but I just never got very good at them and now they are I think too complex for me.  Managing personal resources and such, solving puzzles...meh.  I liked Doom and Halo, just run around and shoot rocket launchers.  So far Red Dead is making me do what should be boring stuff, but it's so damn cinematic it's engrossing.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Aroura

Gamers!
Red Dead 2 is quite a hoot. You can punch your horse in the face. Also, the conductor of the train we are robbing hit me in the face with a shovel. So I beat the shit out of him and threw him off the train. Good times.
The following 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Dānu, Aroura

Gamers!
Have you heard of Anno 1800 and Anno 1404? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they are, but it sounds like it might be up your alley.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

Gamers!
1800 on youtube looks pretty damn cool. I like the idea of Planet Coaster but I'm afraid if I actually got it I would give up before I got good at making cool looking amusement parks. More fun to just watch videos of other people who actually made neat themed parks.

Gamers!
(12-29-2020, 01:34 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Red Dead 2 is quite a hoot.  You can punch your horse in the face.  Also, the conductor of the train we are robbing hit me in the face with a shovel.  So I beat the shit out of him and threw him off the train.  Good times.

Not played that one in a while, but me and my friends stole the train once. Another player [via online play] would continuously hunt us down and steal the train back, it was like old timey western terminator or something haha.
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Gamers!
(12-29-2020, 03:24 AM)Dānu Wrote: Have you heard of Anno 1800 and Anno 1404?  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they are, but it sounds like it might be up your alley.

Basically City/Civilization builders.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Aroura

Gamers!
I started Pillars Of Eternity tonight, and as I had read, it allows pausing combat. Matter of fact, it seems designed with that in mind as you can enable a long list of triggers that automatically pause the game (see screenshot, click on it), as well as manually pause it. Planescape: Torment is a similar but older game, but may not have similar pausing, I don't know as I haven't bought it yet (in a few days), but it's only $5 on Steam through January 5th, and is reputed to have an outstanding story.

[Image: Screenshot-2020-12-29-16-38-02.png]

Vivekananda

Gamers!
Been playing Final Fantasy XIV regularly for a few years now. My main is Asha Jinjahl on Gilgamesh if any of you also play. I mostly focus on raiding, but enjoy most of the other content as well. I've also been playing a lot of Halo MCC since it came out on PC. I've mostly focused on campaign, but still play a bit of multiplayer. I'm not as good as I was back in the original XBox era though. In the last month, I finally went back & started Nier (Gestalt). I just completed the 4 endings a few days ago, & have moved on to Nier Automata. These have been some of the best single player games I've played in a long time. Between the Neir Automata/FFXIV crossover content & the upcoming Nier Replicant remake, it's been a good time to get into them as well.
The following 1 user Likes isbelldl's post:
  • Aroura

Gamers!
(02-03-2021, 02:42 PM)isbelldl Wrote: Been playing Final Fantasy XIV regularly for a few years now. My main is Asha Jinjahl on Gilgamesh if any of you also play.

I used to play FF till I lost my job and couldn't afford the subscription. It's a fun game. Been on the Diablo 3 grind recently.
The following 1 user Likes JDog554's post:
  • Dom

Gamers!
Howdy JD, long time no see. Hope you are well.

I got Red Dead 2 for Christmas and have played a bit but have gotten on a Star Wars battlefront kick. Silly but fun.

Gamers!
(02-04-2021, 01:05 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Howdy JD, long time no see.  Hope you are well.

I got Red Dead 2 for Christmas and have played a bit but have gotten on a Star Wars battlefront kick.  Silly but fun.

Hey jerry, i'm doing alright, just trying to survive in this crazy world. Hope everything is well with you.
  • jerry mcmasters

Gamers!
Just got Red Dead 2 set up for online play! A bit nervous about dipping my toe in, I have never done anything but single player games or split screen play with someone in the room. I have set myself up as a female, am interested if I get treated like total shit by gamer incels. Maybe give it a try after work tomorrow.

Gamers!
(02-03-2021, 07:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 02:42 PM)isbelldl Wrote: Been playing Final Fantasy XIV regularly for a few years now. My main is Asha Jinjahl on Gilgamesh if any of you also play.

I used to play FF till I lost my job and couldn't afford the subscription. It's a fun game. Been on the Diablo 3 grind recently.

Well, hello stranger! Glad to hear you are all right!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • JDog554

Gamers!
(02-04-2021, 04:55 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:

Hi Dom, thanks! I hope you are doing well.

Gamers!
(02-04-2021, 05:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 04:55 PM)Dom Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote: I used to play FF till I lost my job and couldn't afford the subscription. It's a fun game. Been on the Diablo 3 grind recently.

Hi Dom, thanks! I hope you are doing well.

As well as any of us do these days. Smile
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Dānu, JDog554

Gamers!
Been playing Star Wars Fallen Order - which is pretty solid so far Smile
  • JDog554

Gamers!
(02-08-2021, 11:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Been playing Star Wars Fallen Order - which is pretty solid so far Smile

It's a good game. Loved playing it.
  • OakTree500

Gamers!
Grinding the current Season in Diablo 3, meet my Wizard, HairyPooter

[Image: fiLUTeh.png]
  • Dom

Gamers!
I never played Diablo II. I'm looking at picking up grinders and that sounds like an excellent pick.

Currently, I'm playing a trial version of Tom Clancy's The Division. The game appeals to me, but I'm not sure I can handle the controls with my lack of fingers. It's on sale though until 2/21.

Vivekananda

Gamers!
Finished Fallen Order over the weekend - what a story!

I was enjoying it a lot but the latter half has some pretty solid reveals as to when this is taking place in the Star Wards universe as well as a CRAAAZZZY final showdown as well.

Very much enjoyed this game Smile
  • JDog554

Gamers!
Do me a favor and check out this mobile game.

Twilight Hero

It's probably the best idle rpg I have come across in a while. Great character art, good storyline.

Gamers!
Got back into playing Extreme-G 3 for GameCube. It's a very difficult racing game nobody remembers, but it's one of my favorite games. Beat more races than I have before so far. It's pretty intense, too.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.