Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soccer

soccer
And the Sounders do win, 3-1. One goal was a Toronto OG. First half was dull, but the second was pretty exciting. First MLS Cup since '16.

Nashville SC and Inter Miami, David Beckham's team, enter next year. Welcome to the offseason. I'll be curious to see how the NCAA draft goes, even though it's not nearly everything. Fun to see past and present hometown U's place players. Currently, that's mainly SDSU (though it's USD that's been in the rankings, so we'll see). Clemson is also pretty good. I need to look up Pitt. Mostly been following their women's team.

Back to rooting on Manchester City for now.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
CONCACAF Champions League R 16 draw:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=2...live_video

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCA...eague#Draw
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
Bring a lifelong Manchester United supporter, I'm pleased to announce that we absolutely wiped the floor with Manchester City at the weekend.. Only downside is that it looks like Liverpool are going to win the league.. About time really though, it has been 30 years lol.
He loves me?  Facepalm

soccer
(12-10-2019, 10:15 AM)NorthernBen Wrote: Bring a lifelong Manchester United supporter, I'm pleased to announce that we absolutely wiped the floor with Manchester City at the weekend.. Only downside is that it looks like Liverpool are going to win the league.. About time really though, it has been 30 years lol.

El Kloppo is a cool cat. We knew it ever since he trained Mainz. His path to success was quite obvious back then.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • NorthernBen

soccer
(12-10-2019, 06:02 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 10:15 AM)NorthernBen Wrote: Bring a lifelong Manchester United supporter, I'm pleased to announce that we absolutely wiped the floor with Manchester City at the weekend.. Only downside is that it looks like Liverpool are going to win the league.. About time really though, it has been 30 years lol.

El Kloppo is a cool cat. We knew it ever since he trained Mainz. His path to success was quite obvious back then.

I quite like his style.. I can see him at Real Madrid or Barcelona before too long. He is a top manager, he's done great things at Liverpool, I'm hoping he gets offers from elsewhere, I can't stand Liverpool winning stuff lol.
He loves me?  Facepalm

soccer
My Seattle Sounders FC have a toughie against CD Olimpia from Honduras, and if we somehow beat them, perennial entrants Saprissa, from Costa Rica.

Yet another year won by a Mexican club, I'd assume. Confused
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
I'm wondering if you have VAR over there? If so, what do you think of it?
He loves me?  Facepalm

soccer
MLS sure does, as does Liga MX (I live on the border, so my closest top-flight men's team is actually in Liga MX). CONCACAF Champions League does not.

Truth be told, I really hated the idea because I thought it would be disruptive, but it really hasn't been. As to whether it has improved reffing, I'm not convinced. It doesn't bother me, though. Mistakes will be made.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 1 user Likes c172's post:
  • NorthernBen

soccer
(12-11-2019, 10:13 AM)c172 Wrote: MLS sure does, as does Liga MX (I live on the border, so my closest top-flight men's team is actually in Liga MX). CONCACAF Champions League does not.

Truth be told, I really hated the idea because I thought it would be disruptive, but it really hasn't been. As to whether it has improved reffing, I'm not convinced. It doesn't bother me, though. Mistakes will be made.

The thing I don't like about it is... You never know if a goal is going to stand until it's been checked, and players have started appealing for all sorts since it's introduction. I think mistakes are still being made, but most decisions are now correct. So over all I think it's a good thing.
He loves me?  Facepalm

soccer
Bundesliga's back underway. Saw Bayern lose the other day.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
(05-18-2020, 07:02 AM)c172 Wrote: Bundesliga's back underway. Saw  Bayern lose the other day.
Bayern did win yesterday.
R.I.P. Hannes

soccer
I was drunk.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
Diego Maradona died. 60 years old. Just woke up to that news, so not even sure if it's COVID-related *surfs web to dig up details*.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
(12-19-2018, 01:47 PM)SYZ Wrote: Fuck soccer... it's Aussie Rules or nothing downunder.

We call soccer "ariel ping-pong".       Big Grin

[Image: 0531c6fb0d154f4abc89deda78584b13--funny-...-memes.jpg] 

"Ariel ping-pong"   LOL!    Big Grin

I don't want to derail this soccer thread because you soccer fans diserve your own thread but with SYZ's comment I just wanted to say one thing about Australian Rules Football .................HOLY SHIT!!!   What rules?  Those guys are nuts.  

[Image: ad83d8390cf57bd63e4a8ec4c4b0b20d--austra...-rules.jpg]

Ok, back to soccer.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • SYZ

soccer
(11-25-2020, 04:49 PM)c172 Wrote: Diego Maradona died. 60 years old. Just woke up to that news, so not even sure if it's COVID-related *surfs web to dig up details*.

Possibly his coke-habit.
R.I.P. Hannes

soccer
(11-25-2020, 05:12 PM)Deesse23 Wrote: Possibly his coke-habit.

He was a user for only around 20 years... I see no harm there LOL.
He was also treated for alcoholism, psychiatric disorders, and was
morbidly obese for some time. Oh, and he was also an adulterer.

All in all, not a very nice person off the field.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • c172

soccer
Quick news told me that he died due to some heart failure. Thats why i assumed his coke habit had something to do with it.

I never was a fan of his, and with the "hand of god" incident he indignified himself imho, but....de mortuis nihil nisi bene, so:

Still, he was a football genius.  Bowing
Back in his time he was so good, he had to take violent abuse on a regular basis from opposing players. At that time the defenders could get away with literally breaking ones legs.

I was in Naples in 1987 and 1988. At that time he played for SSC Napoli. He was worshipped like a god. He definitely was one of the best football players.ever.
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • c172

soccer
I didn't realize he was an active manager until the end (Gymnasia, of ARG). Thought he was mostly a signer of autographs.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZZogaA...e=youtu.be

MLS rebrand: Montreal Impact FC (or Impact Montreal FC) ---> Club de Foot Montreal (CFM)
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
Mourinho to Roma.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
Italy beats poor England on PKs.

In the Gold Cup, the USA is winning 1:0 at Children's Mercy Park in KCK. 85'. Bit of a bore versus the CDN-MTQ match (4-1) earlier.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
USWNT 4:3 Australia for the bronze.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
https://twitter.com/i/events/1423341952624324608

Lionel Messi leaves Barcelona.
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
Portland Timbers (my Seattle Sounders archrival in MLS) beats Real Salt Lake (the team that knocked out said Sounders this year) in the Western Conference final. The Eastern Conference final will be tomorrow between NYCFC and Philadelphia Union for the other berth in the MLS Cup final (it's not really a cup in the global sense of the word. It's the U.S.' men's premiership. We have the U.S. Open Cup for our systemwide knockout cup, akin to the FA Cup in England).

And in women's NCAA collegiate news, BYU makes it to the women's College Cup final against Florida State, which, by God, means that the Sunday final gets moved to Monday, because Mormons. I tried to go to the women's College Cup this year, but between my health and Southwest cancelling a bunch of flights lately, and then the WCC being moved from PayPal Park (Earthquakes Stadium) in San Jose to Santa Clara University down the road for no apparent reason, and very suddenly, the BYU sitch convinces me it was good to stay put.

Go Noles (though it looks like I'll be at an appointment for the final anyway).

Back to your regularly scheduled MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL (I admit, I'm actually watching NCAA MBB right now [Iowa State and Creighton. Random teams]).
Is this sig thing on?

soccer
Always especially hard to lose a twin baby...

Cristiano Ronaldo has announced that one of his newborn twins died. Ronaldo and his
partner, Georgina Rodriguez, issued a joint statement on social media mourning the tragic
loss.

“It is with our deepest sadness we have to announce that our baby boy has passed away,”
the statement on Ronaldo’s Instagram said. “It is the greatest pain that any parents can
feel... only the birth of our baby girl gives us the strength to live this moment with some
hope and happiness.”

The couple shared that they were expecting twins in October, and revealed in December
they were expecting both a boy and a girl.

“Our baby boy, you are our angel,” the couple said on Monday. “We will always love you.”
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • c172