Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Things That Make You Frown 2.0

(11-16-2018, 03:44 PM)Chas Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 02:51 AM)Chas Wrote: First snow of the season is earlier than average, although a few years ago we got a big one in October which caused a lot of damage.  Especially to my orchard.

We got nearly 8 inches of snow, then sleet and rain.  It's now (10:45AM) sleeting, raining, and snowing all at once.  Weeping

Gonna be a looong winter.

ETA: It's been below average in my region for months.
This afternoon it will snow the first measurable amount of the season.
And there's still six weeks until it really gets wintry. 

How I love the month of May.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...

(11-02-2018, 07:59 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 05:20 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Grackles.  Millions of grackles.  Here in Houston, nearing fall, the grackles start gathering.  Millions of black, twittering, shitting birds who congregate in the evening in very large numbers.  Did I mention they shit on everything?  In the day they spread out and forage for food, but in the evening they gather in our neighborhood in large numbers, often taking over the telephone lines and any oak trees in the area.  The sidewalks soon become crusted with their white smelly turds.  This will continue until the first cold snap sends them down to Mexico and Central America to shit on everything down there.  We need that cold snap NOW!  Satan invented grackles.

I had some 6 pairs of them nesting in my garden for a couple of years. They nest low in the shrubs. Then they get scared when you walk by and fly up and attack you! They fly straight into you. I could hardly feel them hit,  I think they figure they can knock me over with a feather!  Rofl2

I have never been attacked by grackles.  Those around here love it when the yard gets mowed.  That makes it easy for them to hunt insects so they fly down and go over the yard hunting.  This draws our neighbor's little black cat.  Who lucky for grackles is the world's worst bird hunting cat.  She hasn't figured out that merely hunching down doesn't make it hard to see her. It doesn't fool the grackles who avoid her.  The grackles are brave enough to land just a few feet behind the mower to look for insects.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V

Your face makes me frown.

Yes, yours. I'm talking to you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post:
  • KittyAnn

(12-02-2018, 04:29 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: Your face makes me frown.

Yes, yours. I'm talking to you.

But.... Sadcryface It's never made you cry before! What changed?
The following 1 user Likes Aliza's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce

Overlong signatures. Oh, I simply love the first paragraph of chapter five from my favorite book. Isn't it just divine? You absolutely must read it every time I make a one word fucking post. Either that or scroll past it ten times a day because to hell with everyone else I love it!

Hmm, turned out to be more of a rant than a frown. Perhaps this is bothering me more than I thought when I started writing it.
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 2 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, julep

Unexpected toilet adventures, especially when they're not my instigated adventures.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Was hard to get myself to walk tonight. Sad
[Image: cyXfMMa.jpg?1]

Draining the last cup of a pot of coffee.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Well that didn't last long. I'm going to have to turn off the food and calories and weight management trackers on the Samsung app I was so excited about yesterday. I'm already getting depressed. It is so, so disheartening to see how many calories everything is. I don't have a scale because of this same reason - afraid I'd get obsessed with the scale the way I get with these apps. I stopped using My Fitness Pal a while back because I got obsessed/depressed about it.

I'm at 140 pounds right now - the very upper-end of a normal BMI for my height, and I mean very upper end as in one more pound would put me over. I've never been overweight in my entire fucking life. Why now? Angry I didn't weigh this much when I was pregnant, for fuck's sake and I've worked my desk job for a lot longer than I've been piling on weight. Fuck my stupid genetics. Just gonna start wearing a fucking sack around.

I especially feel bad about feeling bad about the weight gain because Rev is always telling me how good I look and he doesn't suggest to me that I go on a diet or work out more. He's been supportive when I've asked him to remind me to do my walks, etc. but he doesn't push me to do them.

And then exercising... so the default goal on the app is 6000 steps per day. I'm not really sure if I actually got that many yesterday because I didn't realize I needed to pause the step tracker while in the vehicle so I think it added some, not sure. But the point is, between hitting the 6000 steps yesterday and getting 3500 steps today, my lower back is feeling a bit "twinge-y" - the way it'll feel before just downright hurting so it's like wow okay body, you can't even do that without reaching a prelude to injury?

It just feels very defeating. I don't really want to diet because I finally enjoy food, after so long of just wishing we didn't have to eat because I didn't see what the big deal was. And with exercise - I'd like to do more, I really would, but my body seems bound and determined to fuck itself up when I try.

Incorrect weather reports.
Is this sig thing on?

Okay, got rid of the specific trackers that were bringing me down and am just leaving the steps / exercise tracker in. Because being more active is good for me, and has its own ton of benefits, whether it causes me to lose weight or not. Smile

Yup, feeling much better now. Heart
The following 3 users Like Escape Artist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Smercury44, Revenant77x

I really miss the crows back at my apartment. I'd hear them every morning.

Accidentally finding out the final score of a football game you missed earlier.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

There's never enough time in the evenings. Sad
The following 2 users Like Escape Artist's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Smercury44

Aww.

Yeah, even the best days of my life end too soon. Wanna just keep on going.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Escape Artist

Hmmm. I see our latest member listed is Vosur2. I dunno, maybe almost gotta offer some respect for someone trying to get back in without even trying to hide it....
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
The following 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post:
  • Dānu

(01-25-2019, 04:34 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: Hmmm.  I see our latest member listed is Vosur2.  I dunno, maybe almost gotta offer some respect for someone trying to get back in without even trying to hide it....

That's what he wants you to think!

No, but seriously, he's just playing the "I'm innocent!" card ... to try and get that sort of reaction, that you're giving, from people.

It would normally sound paranoid to jump to a conclusion that he's scheming like that. But it's hardly a jump after we've already seen it very recently.

He's going to do everything he can to look like he's not guilty, duh.

There would be no real point in taking another approach, and coming in under another name, after he already knows that the Staff can easily catch him.

Besides, he made a sock over on AF, under another name, and he got caught then so ...

Oh, didn't I tell anyone? I was on the AF staff as a moderator at the time when he was banned for socking over there (among other more fucked up stuff I won't mention. Genuinely do want the guy to move forward rather than backwards, for both his sake and the sake of others, so I will keep that to myself). And yeah, some of the Stuff I know is some of the stuff the AF staff know. They know more than I do anyway, meh. Especially the admins, of course (lol I only realized like in the last year or so that AF even have a special secret Admin room that even the moderators genuinely don't have access to... which is just ... weird to me. Never even knew that before recently (I was never an admin, I was only a mod)).

I don't like AF anymore. But it wasn't always shite. It wasn't always missing me neither. Non-coincidentally.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

It's a shame that name changes aren't allowed here. "Vosur's Evil Twin" is just ripe for the picking.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • outtathereligioncloset, Vera

This video is so beautiful.

The following 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post:
  • Smercury44

Maybe it's pop-shit but I likes it:

Whoops! Ignore me! Drunk EA on the premises! hobo

Why Chris, why? Such a loss. Sad

The following 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post:
  • Vivian Darkbloom

General, vague and not particularly useful feelings of uncertainty about the future.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Vera

I feel this gaping hole inside of me now that I've consumed all of the Traveller's episodes on Netflix.
The following 3 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Tartarus Sauce, Smercury44, Alan V

Finding out that you didn't have to have spent $300 the day after you spent it. I could return most of the shit, but I probably won't.

Ziploc baggies. Not all, but some. I have only a left thumb and no fingers, so pulling them apart can be easy or next to impossible. It depends a lot on the ziploc thingie and how much plastic I can get hold of. Unfortunately, the resealable bags that frozen foods come in seem to be the worst in both departments, so I commonly end up just cutting the bag. I had a bag of coffee that the glue was so strong on that I had to cut that bag and put the coffee in a different container. I don't usually care about being handicapped. There are things I can do and things I can't do. It's those things which fall in the gray area inbetween that cause the most frustration.

Vivekananda